DIY Rigs From Steadicam to Shockmounts for Mics to a $30 Jib

StormyKnight
StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
edited January 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
I found this dude on youtube and was wondering if anyone else has seen his vids. He's got some really inexpensive and great ideas. He even builds a pro-style steadicam Merlin design. I think he's got about the cheapest parts lists which is great for those of us who can't afford the pro models- a jib for $30?!?!?! I'm going to attempt some of these before my next project. Hope I don't lose a finger or something.

Comments

• RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    He has some great ideas. A friend of mine built the jib. We used it for a shot last week in a video we are working on (should be going to the Movie Wall at the end of the month).
    Another one to look for on YouTube is Knoptop. Krotoflik also has some good ideas.
  • dsnell0417
    dsnell0417 Website User Posts: 74
    TFF definitely loves him some PVC.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador

He has some great ideas. A friend of mine built the jib. We used it for a shot last week in a video we are working on (should be going to the Movie Wall at the end of the month).
    Another one to look for on YouTube is Knoptop. Krotoflik also has some good ideas.
    I will definately check those out and can't wait to see the jib shot!

TFF definitely loves him some PVC.
    I think PVC just became my best friend too. It's easy to use, cheap and you can even build light stands with it. It must be to plumbing what duck tape is to everything else. B-)
  • dsnell0417
    dsnell0417 Website User Posts: 74
    I built that jib too, using the chain link fence top rail. I found that there was too much slop in the bell joint, so I sawed off the inserted part (the narrow end) and used a two foot section of electrical conduit that had the same OD as the top rail ID. I think it was 1 1/8".