VES Awards nominees announced

SimonKJones
SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
Couple of days late on posting this but the nominees for the VES Awards are worth taking a look at:
https://fxguide.com/quicktakes/ves-announces-nominees-for-11th-annual-ves-awards/
In particular, the article is worth checking out as it links through to lots of interesting behind-the-scenes interviews and articles relating to the various productions.
What do you guys reckon? What have been your stand-out VFX moments of the year?

Comments

• Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Very cool, I didn't even know this was a thing.
    Prometheus, The Hobbit, and Life of Pi had the most astonishing visuals of the year for me, but I've got to give it to Life of Pi overall. Possibly the most visually stunning film I've ever seen, and Richard Parker was basically flawless. There were very few times that I thought, "okay, that's a fake tiger." Most of the time, I couldn't tell the live action shots apart from the CGI shots. The Goblin King was extremely impressive, but there wasn't ever really a time that I was convinced it was real.
    If Life of Pi doesn't take home a ton of honors this awards season, I'll be very surprised, and disappointed.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    I am mad that Dredd 3d and John Carter did not make the list. Dredd 3d and some really stunning visual fx shots sporadically in the movie. John Carter was a great movie that was downplayed because of terrible trailers and it saying "Disney's" before John Carter.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C7ZeptdPPrU&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    That's not the visually impressive vfx shot. Well it doesn't look that good on here anyways.
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2013
    Dredd
    Absolutely. I didn't see it in 3D, unfortunately, but it did have some really great VFX. Awesome movie all around, in fact.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Gah, I missed so many films in 2012. :( Need to do some serious blu-ray catching up! Dredd in particular I'd like to see. Life of Pi also appeals as it seems to be going for non-realistic visuals. I'm always slightly disappointed (in both movies and games) that there's such a drive towards complete realism. I think it's why I love both TRON films, because they use visual effects to create something that is specifically unrealistic, except on its own terms.