I'm Back

Been away from the community and from film making in general for a while now. Had a whole lot of real life get piled on me all at once and its really taken me out of the picture for far too long.
So anyway, I'm now back at it again. First thing I have going now is a Science Fiction script I am writing. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot more writing than shooting and VFX stuff. But I will be popping into the community a bit more and seeing what everyone else id up to.

Comments

• Ady
    Ady Posts: 1,531 Enthusiast
    Welcome Back!!
    Thought you'd been quiet for a while, good to see you back!
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    Hey man, welcome back! When you get a chance, browse the blog to see the high points of what has transpired while you were away. Or perhaps you already have. :)
  • hey Simon is a dad!!! congrats !!!
    and loving the HitFilm 2 trailer, very kool
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    :D Thanks MasterWolf. :)
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    Welcome back, MasterWolf.
    Congrats on the new addition to your family, Simon! I'll bet your significant other would have prefered the clone stamp for birthing purposes. It would have been easier for her. ;)
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Sup MasterWolf. Aculag here, saying, "Sup MasterWolf." Sup.
  • lol i can just see a bunch of Simon clones running around....
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Posts: 427 Enthusiast

lol i can just see a bunch of Simon clones running around....
    Yeah! Just think of all those new tutorials that would get done... :D
  • I keep plugging away at screenwriting. The more I try to write human characters the more I start to wonder if I am in fact actually human
  • I can come up with time lines of events, plots, and such, but when it comes to creating human characters it gets difficult. I tend to be very analytical in my thinking. My decisions are based on logic and reason and and analysis of the likely outcome to the choices i make. I try to keep emotions out of things as much as possible. Most people are far more impulsive and emotional. If I write characters that think like I do, they all come off sounding like Vulcans or androids, if I try to write characters based on people I observe they all seam cartoon-ish too me, more like caricatures than actual people. Why people do the things they do just makes no sense to me at all. 9 times out of 10 I think people do the opposite of what they should. When I write a character I want what ever motivates that person to do what they do to make logical sense.... but from what I observe in most people is what ever motivates them makes no sense at all. I've studied psychology for years, I've observed people in their day to day lives, I still don't understand them, they make no sense to me. I think I would have an easier time writing about ants or termites.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,259 Staff
    Try this, Masterwolf: When writing a character, come up with some major, live-changing event in their past, which is never even mentioned in the actual story they are writing. Then, when determining how the react to situations in your story, consider how that secret event would affect their response.
    I'm a rubbish writer, and I've no idea if this will work, but I just thought of it as a way to add a bit more dimension to a character when writing. Maybe it would add depth to the character beyond the scope of the story?

• Try this, Masterwolf: When writing a character, come up with some major, live-changing event in their past, which is never even mentioned in the actual story they are writing. Then, when determining how the react to situations in your story, consider how that secret event would affect their response.
    I'm a rubbish writer, and I've no idea if this will work, but I just thought of it as a way to add a bit more dimension to a character when writing. Maybe it would add depth to the character beyond the scope of the story?
    Thats actually not a bad suggestion, now that you mention it i remember reading that in the Screenwriter's bible. Perhapse you are a better writer than you think
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    It's a very valuable exercise to take a bunch of different characters, then a single major event, and write how they each react differently. It can really help to distinguish the characters in your head.
    Eg, start with some archetypes: a doctor, a student, a rock guitarist, an astronaut, a farmer, a schoolchild. Then think of a major event: an earthquake, a plane crash, financial collapse, alien invasion, terrorist attack, major flood.
    Those are, of course, all extreme examples. But that should actually help to define the characters, and how they each react differently to the situation. That'll give you a starting point to then start layering in more subtle elements to the characters, which you can then apply to a more natural and less extreme story.
  • Toonman
    Toonman Posts: 81
    edited February 2013
    Also, try creating character profiles for each. I have a little pre-formatted form I have for each. I try to include a short description of:
    * Strengths
    * Weaknesses
    * Fears
    * Dark side
    * Traits that get him into trouble: this will guide you into knowing how he'll react to different situations that come up during your story.
    * Traits that he admires on other characters: this will help you flesh out his interactions with other characters during the story.
    * Character arc: this is an overview of the things the character will go through during the story, and what he will learn/earn (or lose) from these events.
    This helps keep the characters focused during the course of the story, and can help you get out of a few difficult spots where you don't know how the characters should react to things. Keep coming back to this during the course of the story to make sure the characters are still solid and consistent. It's worked for me! Hope it helps. Cheers!