Blender landscape import

I've created a grassy, hilly scene in blender which I want to use in HF2U. The grass was created as a particle system added to the original mesh which are the hills. The particle system was then converted to a mesh object, since particle systems aren't exportable to any of the model types that HF2U can import (AFAIK. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that one). I exported the blender model as .obj and imported it. When I add it into the time line, everything is dark. I added a light of course, but even if I change all the color properties on the particle mesh (ie, the grass), it still remains dark. If I change the color properties on the hill mesh, that shows up, but just as hills, no grass detail.

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,426 Staff

I've created a grassy, hilly scene in blender which I want to use in HF2U. The grass was created as a particle system added to the original mesh which are the hills. The particle system was then converted to a mesh object, since particle systems aren't exportable to any of the model types that HF2U can import (AFAIK. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that one). I exported the blender model as .obj and imported it. When I add it into the time line, everything is dark. I added a light of course, but even if I change all the color properties on the particle mesh (ie, the grass), it still remains dark. If I change the color properties on the hill mesh, that shows up, but just as hills, no grass detail.
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in replying to you.
    Would you perhaps be able to upload the .OBJ file for us here in the Office so we could take a look at it?
    You can upload it here if it is below 50MB
    If it's too big, we can find an alternative solution.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • dsnell0417dsnell0417 Website User Posts: 74
    edited January 2013
    done
    field converted grass.obj
    field converted grass.mtl
    Thanks!

done
    field converted grass.obj
    field converted grass.mtl
    Thanks!
    Excellent, thank you.
    I'll get the developers to take a look at this ASAP.
    Thank you for the prompt reply.
    Kind Regards
    Ady
    No major rush - I'm sure you're very busy - I'm just trying to figure out how to make this work. I'm grateful you guys are there.

No major rush - I'm sure you're very busy - I'm just trying to figure out how to make this work. I'm grateful you guys are there.
    I'm hoping to have some feedback for you on Monday all being well. Thank you, I really appreciate your patience with regards to this problem.
    We are always around, these forums are constantly monitored by all staff, not just myself, so we are never too far away if you need help.
    Talk to you soon
    Ady
    Thanks and have a great weekend.
    Hi,
    I've had some feedback from one of our lead developers with regards to your 3D model import. Below is the reply.
    Diffuse color in the Earth Material is black. See Materials tab, Earth Material, Diffuse Color property. The color is 0,0,0,255. Change any of the 0’s to give the Earth Material a color.
    The grass Particles have exported as lines. HitFilm 2 renders 3D Models made up of polygons with at least 3 vertices and so will not render the grass. If the lines are extruded in a 3D modelling program they will most likely export as a 3D mesh and render in HitFilm.
    I hope this helps
    Thanks,
    Ady
    Thanks. I had figured out the earth material, but the grass was a surprise. I'll see what I can do to fix that and let you know. Hopefully it's just a "blender noob alert" issue.

Thanks. I had figured out the earth material, but the grass was a surprise. I'll see what I can do to fix that and let you know. Hopefully it's just a "blender noob alert" issue.
    No worries, if there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
    Kind Regards
    Ady