New To HitFilm, Have A Question

First I would like to thank anyone who responds.
I have Sony Vegas 11 and I was looking at upgrading and this is how I found out about HitFilm.
I like the features I see in HitFilm and was wondering can I use HitFilm as a standalone for all my video editing needs or do I need to use a program like Vegas first and use HitFilm to add all the extras?

Comments

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    It really depends on your editing needs. HF does have a built in editor and can do basic editing, but it's strength is in the composites and effects. If you're only doing simple edits with effects, then HF would work, but for more advanced editing, you'll probably need something else, such as Vegas. The best thing to do is download the HF trial and give it a go. The trial has all features/effects enabled, you are just limited in rendering your video.
    I use HF for effects and Vegas for editing. With the latest of the two, the integration is a nice feature.
    Hope this helps,
    Richard.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited January 2013
    rgbii is spot on in his advice. HitFilm 2 does have a decent set of basic editing tools, so for many basic projects its likely to be all you need. But depending on your specific editing needs, you might find it useful to have a dedicated video editor as well. Vegas is a great option in this regard, due to the integration between HitFilm and Vegas which allows you to move seamlessly between the two programs.
    Download the demo of HitFilm 2 and give it a try, and let us know if you have any other questions.
  • Tha Football GuruTha Football Guru Website User Posts: 4
    Thanks you both for your input.
    I now have found out my laptop will not run the demo. it mentions opengl, I have 2.1 it also mentions opengsl and Im not sure how to check for it. but Ill work on it so I can try it out.
    my editing is pretty basic with a few overlay items.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Generally the error you are getting indicates that your GPU is below the minimum requirements for HitFilm. What graphics card are you running?