3d Models

Hi guys. I finally got Hitfilm 2 :). For 3d Models, is there a way to split the item into groups for animation? Like for a robot that only has one group (the whole thing) can you split up the arms and the legs from the rest of the body to animate just those?

Comments

• FoxFox Website User Posts: 87 Enthusiast
    edited December 2012
    Only if you make them into a singel object each, seperated from the main model. :mellow:
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited December 2012
    @Fox: Nope.
    @xzarbonx: Yes, you can. I suggest watching my tutorial about this. You can skip the parts in Blender if they're not of interest for you, and jump right to the HitFilm part of the tutorial ;)
  • xzarbonxxzarbonx Website User Posts: 55

can you split up the arms and the legs from the rest of the body to animate just those?
    Only if they are singel Obj files . . . seperated and attached to the main object as you cant work with pre-aniamted models in HF2. Its been stated on the forum before.
    So "nope" is not an correkt answer, unless i misunderstand the question :-?

Only if they are singel Obj files . . .
    Not true - they can be in the same obj file, they just have to be separate groups inside it.
    edited December 2012
    Tháts is what i stated, from the start . . . 8-|
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    To clarify, Fox, you don't need to have each part as a separate object, you can have a single 3D object that is made up of multiple groups, and you can select which groups can be animated independently when importing the object into Hitfilm. The helicopter used in the following tutorial is a good example; the whole helicopter is a 3D single object, but you can keep the rotors as separate groups so that they can be animated independently of the fuselage. But having each as a separate group is possible as well, as Simon showed with the space station thingy, where each portion is a separate object, but you can import them all into Hitfilm and fit them together to make the entire model.
    Yes - Alex and thank you for clarifying the subject.
    I wish a hitfilm 3, who can import and handle pre animated models from animator software.
  • xzarbonxxzarbonx Website User Posts: 55
    Thanks guys. Can you guys recommend any 3d editor where I can split an .obj file into separate groups?
  • TomMcTomMc Website User Posts: 112 Just Starting Out
    xzarbonx
    Check out Blender - it's free and what we often use for modifying 3d models before use in HitFilm

Tháts is what i stated, from the start . . . 8-|
    Okay, then I probably misunderstood you, sorry. Thought you meant that every part of the model that is to be animated separately also has to be its own obj.-file, which is not the case.
    Np . . :D My fault 2