Environment Map

HitFilmer289932HitFilmer289932 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out
I followed project 1 the Getting Started Tutorial ok. I was able to make a title as was explained in the 3d extrusion tutorial instead of the one in the Getting Started tutorial and although I was able to access the environment map I couldn't select the first frame of the clip (wheat field) so that it could reflect onto the surface of the title text. The only selection for layer was the New Point layer that I had created to make the 3d text. The layer showing the wheat field is a composite shot but it was created beforehand as in the Getting Started tutorial.
I then tried the same thing with just a photo but I first created a composite shot of the photo and then created the title and the environment map gave me a choice of selecting the photo and it was reflected onto the text ok.
How can I get the layer of the wheat field in the Getting Started tutorial to reflect on the text of the title without having to start over and first making a composite shot of the wheat field and then making the 3d title?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited December 2012
    To use the environment map, the text layer has to be on the same timeline as the video or still image you want to map onto the surface. So in the case of the Opening Title in the Project One tutorial, you would need to add the footage of the field into the composite shot that contains the text layer.
    Perhaps the most logical way to do this would be to right-click the clip of the field, choose Make Composite Shot... and then create the text in that comp.
  • HitFilmer289932HitFilmer289932 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out
    Yes thanks Axel I did that and it works ok both ways.
    Why is it that when I make a new composite shot and then drag that shot into the editor from the project media onto the Video 1 timeline there is also something on the Audio 1 timeline even though it's just a title with no audio. When I drag the frame of the wheat field onto the video 1 timeline there is nothing on the audio timeline. I know there's no audio there but neither is there in the title.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    A composite shot has the potential to contain both audio and video. So, when you add one to the editor, it fills space on both the video and audio tracks, even if no audio is present. But that way, if you edit the comp later on and add something with audio into it, the audio already has a place on the editor. If you know you won't need the audio portion, then you can right-click on the comp, Unlink it, and then delete the audio only.
  • HitFilmer289932HitFilmer289932 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out
    Thanks for that info