Effects lag in the trial?

Hello HitFilmers, I recently got HitFilm 2, and while the effects and system is smooth, there is one thing i am having trouble with.
When I add an effect(s) my video immediatly starts to "lag" (with lack for a better word).
So answer my question please, does that only happen in the trial? Or could it be my computer?
Thanks,
sneaky.

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    The trial is the same software, with the exception of the limited export options. Other than that, it will behave exactly like the full software.
  • SneakySTEVESneakySTEVE Website User Posts: 3
    Well, that sucks then. Thanks for the reply robin.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Hitfilm makes heavy use of your GPU rather than your CPU, so even if you have a fast system, if it has just an average GPU in it, HF won't perform as well as it should. Do you know what GPU your system has?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff
    In addition to the GPU, as was mentioned, the format your video footage is in can have a huge effect on how well any software performs. What format and codec does your footage use currently? It may be that you simply need to convert the footage to a good intermediate codec in order to improve performance significantly.
  • SneakySTEVESneakySTEVE Website User Posts: 3
    rgbii,
    no I do not, but I got this computer just this year, so I know that it isnt too old to be handling programs such as this.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff
    SneakySteve, even computers being made right now don't necessarily meet the minimum requirement for HitFilm. There are a huge range of graphics cards available, designed for different things. Some are designed for basic computing, such as browsing the web, sending email, and word processing - things which take very little graphics processing power. Others are designed for complex 3D rendering, gaming, or video graphics work, and the much heavier computations involved in that type of work.
    So it isn't a matter of whethre your computer is too old, butsimply whether your hardware is designed for this type of task. You can check what GPU you have installed by following these steps:
    From the Start menu, open the Control Panel for your computer.
    Open the Device Manager.
    Find the Display Adapters listing, and open it. The details about your GPU will be listed there. If you can get us that info, then we can check whether that is part of the issue, but the format of your footage could be just as relevant, as I mentioned earlier, so I encourage you to look into that as well.
  • HitFilmer289932HitFilmer289932 Website User Posts: 81 Just Starting Out
    Hey SneakySteve, I had the same problem and I'll bet it's your graphics card. I was due for a change of computers and I made sure I had a very good graphics card that could handle Hitfilm.
    Meantime you could try converting your video files to mp4. Handbrake is pretty good open source software that does that.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

Meantime you could try converting your video files to mp4. Handbrake is pretty good open source software that does that.
    Converting to mp4 will get you nowhere if you don't choose the right codec. mp4 is simply a container which doesn't say anything about how good the video will behave for editing - the codec is the thing that matters, for editing I'd suggest something like avid DNxHD or Apple Animation. Both work fine in the .mov container, don't know if they also work with the mp4 container.
    I'm pretty sure the .mp4 container only holds video in the mpeg-4 codec (or variations of it, such as H.264). If your footage uses the mp4 codec, then it will perform slightly better using the .mp4 container than using the mov container. Both the Avid DNxHD and Animation codecs are Quicktime only, and either one performs well in Hitfilm. You'll probably see somewhat smaller file sizes using the Avid codec though, as opposed to Animation.