Hello! Nice to meet you all!

BryanRNelson
BryanRNelson Posts: 11
edited January 2013 in General
Hello everybody! I'm the new guy ahhaha I cant wait to talk with you guys!
Lets get down to it, I've been making no budget films for quite some time now, and I've been though many trials to get where i am today.
this is the trailer for my new thriller, coming out next year;

My new thriller for the new year!
What do you guys think?

Comments

• Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Welcome!
    I think you need to work on your audio mixing. That last line of dialogue is incomprehensible compared to the rest of the trailer. Not that I had any idea what was going on anyway...
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    Welcome to the Community Bryan!
    I'm interested to know what the zigzagging man-creature at 0:29 was. I'm thinking a running zombie?
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Welcome to HitFilm.com!
    Some constructive criticism to hopefully help on future projects/edits:
    - Watch your framing of shots. A few shots have people's heads awkwardly cut off at the top of the screen. Lots of shots of actors have them frame centrally, while looking off to the side. You'll create a more interesting frame if you position the actor off to the side. Look up the 'rule of thirds' for information on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
    - As Aculag mentions, it'd be worth investing in a decent mic. Particularly when using dialogue for a trailer, it's important to have a clean track - the background noise in the opening line is very distracting.
    - The look of the trailer and the story seems to suggest thriller/horror/mystery, but the music seems more suitable for a corporate video, or a light and airy topic. There's no dramatic tension in the music itself. The repetitive loop also means the trailer doesn't 'build'.
    - The final line - "we've got to look into this!" would be a good line to end the trailer on, but the actual delivery is lacking in urgency or intensity, which leaves the viewer with a lack of urgency to watch the movie. Even if that line delivery makes sense in the context of the full film, it's sometimes worth getting an alternate take/line reading specifically to use in the trailer.
    Take a look at the Dawn of the Dead trailer from 2004, which seems to be covering similar material and tone, and pay particular attention to its pacing and audio design:

For something slightly different, but which takes a slow burning thriller approach, you can't get better than Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which I inexplicably can't find in HD:

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing the full film and your future stuff. :)