RGB channel distortion?

Hello. First of all, I'm not very active here in the forums, so I apologize if this has been asked before or if it's just a stupid question.
I'm wondering what is the best technique to achieve a stylized RGB distort effect, as made obvious in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWv73xeguew
The only method I can think of is to isolate each channel as a separate layer with the blend mode set to screen, then animate and adjust accordingly. The only problem is that it's hard to make precise adjustments across multiple layers, and manual keyframe animation is tedious and time consuming for a long video sequence with lots of layers.
I suppose the above would work with some copy-pasting, but I was just wondering if there's another way that I'm not seeing. The video I plan to use it in is rather long and this effect would need to be applied to many elements, and it would also have to match the beat of a music track. [Think Dubstep Guns.]
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    I would use a combination of the Shake effect and then a Channel Time Shift, like Win suggested. Gives a pretty similar result. It's not exactly the same, but if you keyframe the Shake you can get pretty close.