~Urgent! GTX 650 for Hitfilm Ultimate 2?

Hi all, I've been choosing a new Graphics card, and was going to buy the GTX 550ti, until I was recommended the 'newer version of it', the GTX 650. Now, I went to look how this would perform using Hitfilm, and happily saw that the GTX 550ti was good on there, but saw no signs of the GTX 650? I did see one article on the community, where, I think InTheFleshVFX said that NVidia crippled most of their 600 series cards for 3D applications, since I use Blender alot, so that discouraged me, and then seeing it not being listed on the HF2U recomended specs page made me wary, and I felt the need to post this.
So, any help is much appreciated.
Thanks. :)

Comments

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Yea there was something posted on here which someone talks about that. I found the GTX 660 Ti for a good price and this is what Intheflesh said.
    "Hmm, interesting.
    Great price, pitty we will get shafted here in Australia as usual.
    If I was a gamer, I would definitely jump on it. It will even perform nicely for Hitfilm.
    Just as a warning for anyone doing work in a 3d Application though: Nvidia crippled their 600 series cards, reducing performance for DCC apps. This was done to push their "professional" Quadro and Tesla cards, which are much more expensive. To put this in perspective: The baseline Quadro 4000 2GB costs $749.99 USD and is easily out performed by most consumer graphics cards costing ~$150. The Quadro 6000 6GB costs $3998 USD and offers below or equal performance to the GTX 580 3GB. The main benefit being the additional 3GB VRAM.
    So, if you do a lot of 3d work, you're best off sticking with the 500 series such as a GTX 580 3GB.
    But if you are a gamer or only really do compositing work, the GTX 660 Ti seems great for the price! " -Intheflesh
  • LinkedPicturesLinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
    Ah okay, thanks. I'll probably go with the 550ti then. Thanks.
    can you swing the 560 ti?
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    A couple of days ago I actually just sent the FXhome folks a question asking specifically about the GTX 660 Ti for HF2 (in particular looking at the Asus one which is reportedly super-quiet, which is critical for me), since it wasn't listed on the requirements page....Tom got back to me and said that it should be great for HF.
    Not sure about specific 3D apps, but I did see some posts on the Cornucopia/Vue forums of people asking about the 660 Ti for use with Vue and some people had reported that it's working just fine for it. Not sure about other 3D apps though.
    @Har... why do you need one super quiet? I've actually never had a loud card.
    I'm set up in my recording studio, so I prefer to keep my ambient room noise coming off things like the computer fans down as low as possible (my previous computer that I just replaced over the summer sounded like a jet taking off and was a nightmare trying to do audio mixes over the white noise... :)) ).

I built my new computer with that in mind, so went with as many quiet parts as possible as far as computer case, fans, power supply, CPU cooler, etc and it's whisper-quiet in here now now. I'm probably just being overly paranoid at this point I'll admit, but figure if I can get a card that's also very quiet too, it can only help. :)
    Wouldn't the case have a big impact... also the workload...? I think harddrives have been the biggest source of sound I've ever heard. I went to my mom's house to help her pull stuff off her old computer's harddrive. After plugging it I started to get bugged by a very high pitched whine. Turns out... it was the old hd.
    edited December 2012
    The case definitely does help on this one, yep. The HDs can definitely be a big factor too, you're right - on my last build I had that same high pitched whine going on that used to drive me nuts.
    On this one though, I've got an SSD for the O/S and any apps where the performance might be helped by it like HF, so that's dead-silent of course; the secondary HD I have in there is a Western Digital Caviar Black drive which is pretty quiet as well.
    The quiet case that I have everything in - Corsair Obsidian 550D - has what basically are shock-mounts for the HDs so any mechanical noise coming off them is dampened even further.
    Like I said, I'm likely just being overly cautious at this point since the system is already nice and quiet now.....I just wanna try to keep it that way if I can. :) The HSFs on the Asus cards in general seem to get great reviews as far as staying quiet; I may consider their take on the 560 ti as well.
    I use an SSD for my C drive... an external ssd for my main dumping ground of files and then for long term storage I use a hitachi 4tb external drive.
    edited December 2012

can you swing the 560 ti?
    Not without quite a bit of waiting and saving. :/
    Besides, if I could, I would get the 570, they're the same price for some odd reason. Obviously, I would like to try to save up for the 570, and I might just do it, but it means I have to stick with goddam Intel HD 4000 for even longer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, they were the same price :/
  • InTheFleshInTheFlesh Website User Posts: 143
    Glad you've found my advice useful :)
    The issue with the 600 series is not only in drivers, but also hardware. Although the 600 series has more CUDA cores, they have much lower computational power. This is fine for games, but when it comes to DCC creation apps, I have yet to see a benefit to the 600 series. Unfortunately though, as I mentioned in quoted post above, Nvidia did this deliberately to try force users to their Quadro line. This leaves me worried about the future with Nvidia and using consumer graphics cards in a professional setting.
    Some applications still don't properly support the 600 (or Kepler) series. In fact, it's only in the last couple of months that the 3ds Max GPU renderer "iRay" was updated to support the 600 series. Keep in mind iRay was created by Nvidia.
    Personally I find the ever so slight performance gains in the 600 series doesn't justify the price difference. The 500 series is still my top recommendation for 3d artists.
    Personally, I'm rocking an overclocked GTX 580 that I bought used and have absolutely no regrets!
    Cheers,
    Daniel.
    Ah Ok, thanks alot. 500 series it is. :D
    edited December 2012
    Daniel: thanks for the information! :) Any thoughts on how - as a possible alternative - something based on a HD 7870 would work out for handling things like Vue Esprit? Seems to be fairly high enough on the Hitfilm requirements list. Possibly like this one with 2GB RAM?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121649
    I keep seeing regular deals on some of these cards on Amazon or tiger direct
    Also, you could buy used as well.
    Seeing some decent prices on 570's....starting to think it might be the way for me to go:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

Daniel: thanks for the information! :) Any thoughts on how - as a possible alternative - something based on a HD 7870 would work out for handling things like Vue Esprit? Seems to be fairly high enough on the Hitfilm requirements list. Possibly like this one with 2GB RAM?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121649

Seeing some decent prices on 570's....starting to think it might be the way for me to go:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432
    Ahh, now this is where things start to get interesting ;)
    Most cross platform DCC applications such as Vue, Maya, Houdini, Lightwave and Blender are running their viewports through OpenGL.
    Unfortunately, OpenGL seems to be yet another area that Nvidia intentionally cripples or puts less support into in order to push professionals towards the Quadro line of cards.
    Another thing to keep in mind is any GPU rendering applications you are using, or may be interested in in the future. Most use CUDA, which is Nvidia only.
    I've always wanted to see AMD/ATI push to the top with their graphics cards, but unfortunately driver and support quality just isn't up to par.
    There are areas where Nvidia cards can't be beat, and areas where AMD come out on top. It's really a juggling act when it comes to choosing the correct card if you use multiple different applications.
    I know that just probably confuses you more, but hopefully it gives you a bit more insight to help with your decision :P
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Oooof.....yeah, I see what you mean. LOL @-) :))
    Starting more and more to sound like the 570 might be a good compromise solution for this...
    Imma just let you guys randomly continue on my forum. :P
    I get the feeling I have no need here anymore. ;)
    Sharing the love LinkedPictures! ;)
    But I do apologize for going off topic. Keep us updated with what card you decide to go with :D
    Heheh. It's fine if you go on, and I will tell you once I get it. BTW, Merry Cwissmas everybodies! :D
    edited December 2012
    Slight update: e-on's support got back to me on my question as far as the GTX 660 ti for use with Vue Esprit as well as a secondary question about ATI as an alternative; the response seems to also agree with what some posts on the Cornucopia forums have said about it -
    [quote]The 600 series of nVidia should be fine - nVidia's opengl implementation works better with Vue than ATI. [/quote]
    Also seeing posts on various Blender related forums stating good Cycles rendering results with the 660 ti since recent builds now having CUDA implementation; since Vue and Blender are the two 3D apps that I use, and Tom from FXhome has also told me that the 660 ti should be great for HitFilm...I'm starting to reconsider it as an option again. Maybe.
    Or not. The 570 is still on the table too. Either way, I figure whatever I finally go with will definitely be an improvement over the integrated HD4000 I'm currently using... :))
    Man, this is almost as much fun as researching audio interfaces! ;)
    UPDATE: meh, scratching the 660 ti idea - finding more and more information out there confirming Daniel's points concerning it not standing up in comparison to 5xx series GPUs for rendering needs. And now seeing this being noted specifically being an issue for Sony Vegas which I also use.
    OK, nevermind - back on target with the Asus GTX 570 then. Sorry for the thread highjack! ;)
    If your in America... fry's Is selling a PNY GTX 550 Ti for 69 bucks.
    edited December 2012
    Well, talking of amazing deals, if you're from the UK you can pick up a GTX 580 for only £200, from one of my favourite providers; Scan.co.uk. Linky winky--------> http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1536mb-evga-gtx-580-refurbished-40nm-4008mhz-gddr5-gpu-772mhz-shader-1544mhz-512-cores-mini-hdmi-2x-
    Last night finally went with the Asus GTX 570 with the gonzo-sized cooler, ordered from Amazon and on its way. Between a mail-in rebate and an Amazon gift-card from my boss for Xmas, the price was knocked down to $225 USD. Not too shabby. :)
    Should be here this Saturday....yay!
    Another annoying thing, the HD 7770 isn't listed on there either. >:(
    Hahaha! Oh wow, this forum is a HUGE joke to me now, I ended up buying the GTX 580! Completely way off my original decision, and completely awesome! :D
    Nice! Same card I have, and I think you'll be more than happy with it :D
    The GTX 570 I got has worked out very nicely with Hitfilm as well. :)

Nice! Same card I have, and I think you'll be more than happy with it :D
    Trust me, I will! I got the ASUS version aswell, three expansion slots o' awesomeness! :))