Reverse Engineering AE to Hitfilm 2

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
So in the quest for more skills I've been watching AE tutorials on video copilot's website. They have some very long tuts that are super indepth, but there are always a couple missteps between AE -> Hitfilm. So I was hoping to harness the awesome power of the collective mind for the betterment of hitfilmers everywhere.
The idea would be people posting either tuts or questions and we see if we can Hitfilm it in the face. (Yes hitfilm can be used as a transitive verb).
A short tut(18 mins) which actually doesn't show off too many things which can't be done in hitfilm. But I do like the concept.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/the_healer/
A long tut (46 mins) which shows off plenty of little features which do not directly line up. Maybe the name is different or maybe you accomplish it a different way.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/disintegration/

Comments

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Hmm maybe this would be a great way to find out what features to add to Hitfilm?
    Sounds like a good challenge for the FX team..
    Lol hope your enjoying your Christmas.
    So I saw a tutorial involving AE and Mocha and I think this would be a  feather in the cap of hitfilm if a similar tut could be reverse engineered.  Its pretty much object removal + throwing up a transporter effect.  Hopefully this will inspire people and make sure that anything AE can do HF can do.
    https://vimeo.com/53898601
    http://vimeo.com/53898600

I've yet to make too many gun videos but I saw this tutorial and knew it would serve many people on here well.  Its a bullet time tutorial that looks easily reversible into HitFilm.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvNV-Eewlk
  • 902902 Website User Posts: 33
    This is a great topic!    What tools is hitfilm missing,  that are causing any problems?

I would pay for the complete video copilot tutorials on hitfilm!   { but leave the jokes out -lol }

I think  Win Conway is the best person to ask.  I've attempted a couple of the tutorials on their website.http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/explosive_training/p1/
    edited April 2013
    Cool.  Is he the genius that does Tooshka Training?
    Yeah,  I'm really looking for video copilot level tutorials - cash in hand bros!   { and similar to that train -  would
    be a great start!   Change it to a plane, or bus, maybe? }
    edited April 2013
    @902 Trust me I know the feeling of wanting pretty complex tutorials.  That's why I created this post because hopefully the amazing talent starts  cracking these tuts for hitfilm.  Win Conway broke down some stuff like the dissolving grenade.
    I had an idea... we could campaign Video Copilot to do some of their tuts in Hitfilm.  I mean how many of us have action essentials? (I know I do) Who looked at picking up some of their 3d model packs?  Most of their products still work in Hitfilm because its just 3d models made in formats Hitfilm can use.  Here Is a draft of a letter to email to Video Copilot.
    email [email protected]
    Hello Video Copilot,
                    My name is ______ and I love your products.  I am writing this email because I would like you to consider doing some of your tutorials using Hitfilm 2 Ultimate by FXHome.  Hitfilm 2 can make use of your products from Action Essentials 2 to any of your 3D products.  Video Copilot has made a name for itself making high quality tutorials and products for filmmakers around the world to use.  Hitfilm 2 Ultimate is about Video Editing, Visual Effects, Compositing, with no compromises and is the perfect extension for Video Copilot to continue to develop.  Andrew Kramer  has had the opportunity to work with  J.J. Abrams and Hitfilm is helping to turn out a new generation of indie filmmakers whose are inspired by J.J. Abrams.  This would be a way for Andrew and Video Copilot to work with new generations of J.J. Abramses.

Sincerely,
    I think we should all hit them up because its a legitimate request.  They make products and demo them off with tutorials because they want to show people the power which can be achieved with their products.  Asking them to do some in HItfilm expands their audience.
    This campaign can only work though if we can get that people who never participate in the forums can at least fire off this email. 
    edited April 2013
    Interesting approach.    I think Win Conway's request might make the most sense.   Probably Andrew Kramer
    doesn't work in hitfilm,  so he wouldn't be likely to do the tutorials himself.
    I think I've seen action essentials packaged with hitfilm,  wasn't it?     So, doesn't hurt to ask.    But Kramer may
    be against hitfilm on principal  { thinking its competition}.
    Doesn't hurt to ask anyways.   I don't know what any legal issues are , if any.   
    Hitfilm is not competition to Video Copilot.  Video copilot does plug ins for AE because AE is limited by its self, and they make things that get used by compositor or 3d modeler.  They can't make plug ins for hitfilm but they can make suggestions to better help hitfilm. 
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    We met Andrew at NAB last year. He's a very cool guy. A large number of his AE tutorials translate pretty directly into HitFilm anyway, as they share general timeline compositing concepts - it's just a matter of figuring out different buttons and features.
    edited April 2013
    @ MichaelJames
    Ok.  Works for me  MichaelJames.   I've got more to say on the subject,  But Im gonna hold my tongue
    until after you guys contact the esteemed man, and report back.    Does he have email,  or do you have
    to sign up for that board "and make your voice heard? " - lol.    
    We met Andrew at NAB last year. He's a very cool guy. A large number of his AE tutorials translate pretty directly into HitFilm anyway, as they share general timeline compositing concepts - it's just a matter of figuring out different buttons and features.

Hi Simon K Jones,
    I think we posted at the same time!
      Cool.   Do you think theres a tutorial partnership possible?   Sure its
    just buttons and features,  but newbies, or intermediates like us - need all the help we can get!    Personally,
    as I've said,  I'll pay for a set

@902... the idea is for all of us users to email in and say we want this.  Its hard for 1 person to say hey make additions to your business model... if a sea of users do it then the idea would be up for debate.
    Ok,
    Suit yourself.   But I read that letter,  and the whole thing about a " new generations of J.J. Abramses."  sounds over the top to me.   
    Anyway @ Win Conway,  are you writing the man yourself?   How did that work out?
    @902 Its over the top but actually ripped from their website under the section about Andrew Kramer section.  Im not emailing Kramer directly because campaigns like this should go through proper channels.  Spamming the head of company's in box is why CEO emails are usually never posted on websites.  In the end whatever accomplishes the goal is the main thing, so if people wanna get creative on who they are emailing then go for it.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    The only thing I'd say about contacting Kramer is a) don't hassle the man :) b) tutorials take a lot of time and effort and he's a busy man. Making tutorials for AE makes direct sense for him because he sells plug-ins for that platform: I'm not sure he'll see direct value in putting similar effort into HF at this point. But, hey, it doesn't hurt to ask (politely).
    Hmm could you use the elements they provide with their free tutorials and carry them over?
    edited April 2013
    Ok it has been seven days with no reply now from Andy Kramer so i am assuming that is a no (Very fair and everything he does for free is absolutely amazing anyway)
    So i have gone out and bought a green screen set up so that i can start to film the needed elements to recreate some of the bigger tutorials that people are interested in, however you do need to keep in mind that it is quiet a big endeavor to shoot a tutorial on the scale that Andy Kramer does and we have a much smaller audience here right now, so they wont be very frequent ;)
    sounds awesome!   Is your plan for these longer tutorials to be freebie or paid?
    @902 the only problem with that is you're talking about what was a free tutorial being mimicked.  I could be wrong but I think a lot of people would just wait for it to be free if there was a delay
    free!   that sounds great.  Looking forward to these!
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Win.
    I'd be particularly interested to see some of the concepts in VCP's tutorials given a unique HitFilm twist, taking advantage of some of HF's features compared to AE - for example, having 3D models built-in, having a powerful 3D particle engine built-in (quite a few of VCP's tutes require Trapcode Particular) which can be composited with other layers in proper 3D...etc.
    Is there anything people are wanting a breakdown for? 
    Well triem23 brought up a concept of intergreting compositing better through use of Z pass.  So I am curious how would one go about this in hitfilm?  Andrew Kramer has a tutorial(thanks Phil) which is easy to do with the Z pass asset he provides.  I am curious how would one go about doing this in hitfilm without that Z pass asset?
    http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/depth_compositing/
    Hmm i gave it a go with the set matte and luminance key.
    http://youtu.be/WTgqNj7iJ9U
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    edited March 2014
    The purpose of Z-pass is to simulate z-depth in your scene.  Because AE composites in 2D.  HitFilm, on the other hand, gives you a genuine 3D compositing environment, with genuine Z depth, so you can handle that sort of thing completely differently.  Not in every instance, but in a lot of them.
    Your test comp looks pretty good there.