Lenses... what are you using and what would you not get?

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
Sometimes we go crazy over camera bodies but forget that the lenses play a big part in the quality and look of the video. So I am curious on peoples thoughts about lenses. What does everyone use? what mount is that for? Any lenses which you regret buying? I just bought my first DSLR and I am almost done collecting lenses
Im shooting with a full frame camera.
I have a 14mm Rokinon 2.8 for a canon. - Its a nice ultra wide lens with some converging lines. Not rated super high but for the price it was a welcome addition.
A rokinon 35 mm 1.4 for a canon. It gets great marks on reviews and is fast.
A canon 40 mm 2.8. I kind of regret buying this. Got it for $149 before the Rokinon 35mm. Its nice to have a lens which can work with the body but its kinda just extra.
A canon 50 mm 1.8 I am glad I bought this lens. Apparently the actual difference between the 50mm 1.4 and the 1.8 are negligible in real world settings and it was $100

Comments

• fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228
    After using the kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 for a couple years I finally caved and purchased a EFS 17-55 f2.8 IS.
    I'm not sure if I've taken it off the camera since. (I do have a 100mm Macro as well)
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    I love 50mm lenses. I have a Nikkon on my Olympus body. I also have a couple of 35mm CCTV lenses that I got from China for $20 each that are very cool and intersting looking.
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    My favorite lens by far is a 1960s Nikkor 50mm f2. It has the most buttery bokeh, and gives images this essence that I don't get with other lenses. Here's an example:
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RjEGf.jpg[/IMG]
  • MasquttiMasqutti Website User Posts: 340
    50 mm primes are the best. :)
    I have,
    - Sigma RF DG 1.8/20mm -pretty unsharp prime lens, also lots of chromatic aberration on the edges. You don't want to take pictures with this one, but in FullHD video it is sharp enough. Got this used, good price comparing there's not many options available for canon with these specs (1.8, 20mm). Great for indoor shooting, for steadicam stuff etc.
    - Zenitar M2s 2.0/50mm russian prime lens. Old plastic lens, which is not so sturdy, but lens quality is pretty nice. I think it's better looking than canon IS II 18-55 that comes with 600D kit. M42 les, with an adapter. I really like this one. Really cheap to get these from ebay.
    - IS II 18-55... Well, Image stabilization is a nice feature. Really plastic :S
    - Prinzflex auto 3.5/200mm prime. This one is actually for photography, but I've used it once in video during shortfilm shoot. Used with a monopod. You gotta have 100% steady hands if you intend to do so. :D Worked really well, got closeups of actor's face like 7 meters away, and nice smooth backround. It was a place where I couldn't get near the actor with my camera. I recommend tripod at least for tele lenses :S
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    I think the only lenses I would recommend not buying are the stock lenses that come with their given cameras.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I just got a rokinon 80mm camera that was on sale from amazon.