After Earth - The Return of Shyamalan

Comments

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    That looks really awesome. Definitely want to watch this. :)
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2012
    The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable are amazing. Signs is good until the twist. Everything else he's done has been pretty terrible. Never watched The Last Airbender, but I'm willing to give this a shot. Looks pretty cool, and apparently Will Smith is Morgan Freeman now.
    I gotta say, I am SO down with these 2013 sci-fi films that take place on Earth in the distant future. Good stuff.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Will Smith is consistently enjoyable to watch, and I'm a fan of Shyamalan in general, but Jaden Smith is awful in everything I've seen him in. Which basically amounts to The Day The Earth Stood Still and The Karate Kid, but he hasn't done but a few projects besides those anyway, right? and in both of those, he was not a good actor. At all. So having him as (apparently) half the cast of a film seems dangerous. Then again, Shyamalan tends to get good performances out of his child actors, so maybe he can pull it off.
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Yeah, it looks like there could be some neat plot twists in there. Hopefully, M Night is back to making some really good movies.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    The thing is M Night needs to stop being the writer who tries to go with twists. He needs to focus on just good stories. They don't always need a twist. The village... signs...the happening...lady of the water... the last airbender... Hes like the opposite of James Cameron.
    I really do enjoy watching will smith and I think I already love the concept. Everything on the planet has evolved to kill humans is an interesting.
  • ESPictures
    I think his weakness in some of the later films was more along the lines of genre and dialogue rather than plot. He does a great job with plot and putting unexpected elements into the movies. I don't think he has to stop challenging the audience. He just kind of played out all his good ideas for horror movies, I think. I really liked Unbreakable, even though a lot of other people didn't. I thought the dialogue there was a little weak, but Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis kind of rose above it.
    But it's definitely an interesting concept and Will Smith has a lot of acting skill and M. Night definitely has great cinematography skills. I'm excited to see the movie after seeing the trailer.
  • MichaelJames
    Well and there is just personal preference and for me I don't think everything needs to have a twist. Its nice when there is something unexpected but when you sit in a theater waiting for something to come it steals the thunder of the twist when it comes.
  • ESPictures
    edited December 2012
    So you're one of those guys that doesn't peek at the end of the novel before you start to read it? ;)
  • MichaelJames
    Nope just get tired of the same trick every time.