Forward Onto dawn... man this coulda been done with hitfilm

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
So I bought this movie called forward onto dawn. Its a tie in to halo 4 and I was just thinking this woulda been a great indie movie filmed to have been filmed with Hitfilm 2.
We've seen amazing examples of hitfilm 2 in use, but I am curious... Whose going to be the first to make a full length with it?

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    In the ~10 years we've been making software, the most rewarding aspect has always been seeing what people do with our products. From the earliest lightsaber fights made with AlamDV (anybody remember Art of the Saber?) to Corridor Digital's really early stuff and images made using our photo software PhotoKey, it's always fascinating to see what people are up to.
    With HitFilm that process has been very interesting. Being completely new software, rather than an upgraded version of previous software, when we launched in July 2011 literally nobody on the planet knew how to use the software other than staff at FXhome (and even that's debatable!). Over the first year we saw people probing the software and learning what it could do, with a notable quality increase month-on-month.
    We're now seeing great VFX, short films and motion graphics being produced in the software, and over the next year I'm sure we'll see an even bigger increase in output and talent, with HitFilm 2's tools offering people even more creative power. Exciting times!
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    edited December 2012
    Art of the Saber is a blast from the past. Star Wars fan films were an inspiration to a lot of people.
    Remember the Princess Bride fight scene recreated with lightsabers?

I was watching FUD as it came out on YouTube. Machinima has also been releasing the previously unseen Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome pilot from SyFy on their channel. I think the last chunk just went up today. I'm going to watch it later tonight.
  • Ahh Clay Kronke, I used to watch alot of his Star Wars, lightsaber videos.
  • guitar74
    guitar74 Posts: 506
    Halo movie was not good, I tried to like it. I dont think any studio is using HF. I was told you can do any effect like the pros and make it look real, but you willing to put the work into it and know how to do it right?
  • Forward onto Dawn ended with a bang. I was not a fan of the Halo Franchise. But after this film, they have done a good job of shifting my position.
    To Michael,
    There are a few long form projects that have used HitFilm: Freddie wWVideo Game High School used HitFIlm and Patrick Prejusa looks like he is using Hitfilm for his feature length film.
    Now as far a Theater bound films, that is another question. As I've been dong my research on video effects
    It looks like it would come down to budgetary decisions and as HitFilm gains credibility in the industry.
    My case and point. If I had the budget and a distribution deal for a theatrical release. I would use HitFilm.
    As far as credibility is concerned, Ryan Connly mentions HitFilm In the latest episode of FIlm Riot.

That is a step in the right direction.
  • guitar74
    I would like to see JJ abrhams do a theater movie with HF2u
  • MichaelJames
    @Guitar well based on some of your opinions on technology I can see film taste differ. I liked that movie... At first I was thinking it would suck within the first 5 mins but they did a good job of recovering. Instead of trying to be an action piece they did a great job of making the movie more about the internal struggles and i'd highly recommend it. There were some bits which made it clear this was low budget sci fi movie but it captured the Halo elements without trying to go "last 5 minutes of doom"
    @Hitfilm staff I wish you guys were out here in the States... Id send you guys the copy to look at for free.
    @bryan... I did catch Video Game high School and I can't wait for the next part to it. There was talk of Video Game High school going to college.
    @Simon Do you guys have any interest in producing a film to push hitfilm into the forefront? Doesn't have to be everything done by fxhome but possibly a kickstarter and the script. Hire a director and crew and find a creative way to incorporate active members of the community. Maybe Indiana Jones meets Blade Runner?
  • guitar74
    Michael james, I never turned halo off about 50 minutes into it. Now if there was a halo movie, with a high budget and big named actors or something like that, that probably would keep my atention. The story to me was weak and I could not go on. I hardly ever turn a movie off, but this one..... I had to.
  • MichaelJames
    Again I think we just have strongly different tastes. The last movie I just turned off was Starship Troopers 3 which just got god awful at the end.
    I don't need high budgets or big named actors to enjoy a film. The best films typically had actors prior to being famous. Like Cube is a great movie and shot with a really low budget.
    Youre entitled to your opinion. I think a halo movie would be ruined by a big named actor being any where near it. Judge Dredd was a crappy movie because it was Stallone with blue contacts and a lot of rewrites to put the character inline with Stallone. Dredd 3d was good and you never see the "named" actor. I use quotes because that guy was in a lot of crap or did a lot of crap acting.
  • ESPictures
    The budget for the HALO movie was about $10 million. The guy who played Masterchief played Colossus in the X-Men movies. And the girl was in the Narnia movies.
    I thought the visual fx and animation in the movie were well executed. But the movie dragged a little bit. I could have done with less time watching Lasky agonize over his brother's home movies. Most viewers are smart enough to pick up on the fact that he's conflicted over his dead brother after the first time he watches a video. But I enjoyed everything from the start of the covenant invasion.
  • MichaelJames
    10 Million is a low budget by Hollywood standards. I'd love to have a budget like that. Lasky's brother needed to be shown as human... or else you just get this comparison of "your not as good as your amazing brother" and you think the amazing brother is just a big tool instead of a likeable guy.
  • ESPictures
    Yeah and a lot of that budget went to costuming and building a Warthog no doubt. I understand the need to show his brother and why it was done. But the same thing could have been done better in a single instance rather than 4 or 5. There are a lot of times that something looks really good on paper but you always have to ask whether it's really advancing the plot or revealing something new about the character. I got the whole connection with his brother after the first video. You might even be able to push it to two videos.
    But ultimately, no matter how good it looks on paper or how much you like it, if it isn't advancing the plot or revealing something new about the character it should probably be cut.
  • guitar74
    Michael james, Both judge dredd's were terible in my opinion. Starship troopers 2 and 3 were horrible, I think I played guitar while watching them. A higher budget, better effects. The bigger name actors are usually better actors than a no name and a bad actor in a movie, then the movie is ruined. No I could see Carl urban or Mark walberg would be good in a halo movie. I dont think the taste are 2 different, different out look on movies. The halo movie just dragged way to much, the trailer looked cool, but I just did not like it. I see what they were doing, just did not take off.
  • MichaelJames
    You're allowed to have your opinion Guitar but your thinking pretty much goes against indie filmmaking and new actors getting into the business. John Carter was a great movie that had a very high budget but kind of a no named actor that flopped and too many people fall into the cycle of needing the tried and true stories and actors. A big budget isn't needed and neither is a named actor. Most money doesn't fix problems. Waterworld kinda sucked and it had LOTS of money and OSCAR winning actors. You will focus on a more compelling story and elements to the film if you don't have the ability to just run with your first ideas. Adversity breeds ingenuity from sparks of creativity. Star Wars... the Ewoks were suppose to be wookies but they didn't have the money to make all the wookies they needed. So from the Wookie costumes they made Ewoks... 1 wookie costume made 2 Ewok costumes.
    Guitar your are entitled to your opinion but there that opinion is why Hollywood gets locked into the same actors doing the same movies and constantly pushing the budgets for movies up. Imagine making a feature film for 20 grand that was stunning visually and had a good plot? Do you know how easy it would be to sell that movie? The race to be #1 in the box office is something studios do because they either need to recoup the budget of the movie or because it gives bragging rights. Go see Juno or any number of Indie films that used small actors and a little money to be very successful.
  • guitar74
    The only problem with your statement michael james, is that there is no way anyone is going to make a stunning visual effects and a great, great movie that will hit number 1 at the box office for 20 grand. There are a lot of actors that are big named and have done different movies that are great. I'm not talking about nick cage or any of those, but there are others. I have yet to really see a compelling story or elements done cheaply. Holywood ran out of ideas about 10 year ago. They wont take scripts that are original from no name people, if so, there would be better movies. Mark walberg has done a wide range of movies he has not locked himself in. Chantum tatum, had done a wide range of movies, Chris pine to name a few. Those actors since the begining of their career to know have done different kinds of movies. When you say stuning visual effects, I think of Avatar or the life of pi, something like that.
    I'm sure like everyone else, I had a hell of a story for the star trek borg back story, but I'm not known, so guess what, the book company wont talk to anyone. I have also seen no name actors come in and ruin good movies before. I got to a pont where I have seen so many movies that I almost quit watching them, because they got perdictable. I did not like Juno, I thought it was horrible. I never said indie films are not successful, most of them are not good either. If someone could make a movie like Avatar and make it look that good for 20 grand, then I would be impress. Indie films are good, but the when the films are trying to pull big budget effects and try to do it a different way, I have seen indie films that look like tonka trucks being blown up, thats how bad special effects were. I have a firend that makes indie horror films, they are not good, because the effects we tries to do are to advance and the story is not good to lack of imagination. I told him what to fix, they never listen, had to pull a movie from amazon over it, due to public being upset.
    We are never going to agree about big budget movies, but in the end without a big budget, movie that have great visual effects, say avatar, life of pi and some others and make them look that good, are just out of hand. It dont matter how much the camera cost used for filming, still it depends on the person using it and the effects. Have you ever wondered why movies cost so much? With all the effects that cost way to much if you ask me, the work for the effects, the tech and etc. The actors usually get around 15 to 20 million for the pain, suporting cast is even less. I have seen every Star Wars doc, never heard about wookie customes. I heard the Ewokes come about to have a impact on the sudience for a small fur ball, to quote, and they have a big victory, which made the audience like them. I remember seen Empire the original in the theaters. Star wars was a fav of mine to Spike ruined it. I have read alot of books on the effects for SW, never ever heard that in a doc or anything. I can see we can agree on some things, but others we cannot. About the effects that are stunning for 20 grand that will blow me away, you got a movie in mind?
  • guitar74

Again I think we just have strongly different tastes. The last movie I just turned off was Starship Troopers 3 which just got god awful at the end.
    I don't need high budgets or big named actors to enjoy a film. The best films typically had actors prior to being famous. Like Cube is a great movie and shot with a really low budget.
    Youre entitled to your opinion. I think a halo movie would be ruined by a big named actor being any where near it. Judge Dredd was a crappy movie because it was Stallone with blue contacts and a lot of rewrites to put the character inline with Stallone. Dredd 3d was good and you never see the "named" actor. I use quotes because that guy was in a lot of crap or did a lot of crap acting.
    That is why they never made a legend of Zelda movie, no studio could agree who to put in the movie as link, unless in the last year they made a decision? I'm sure Karl urban was in a lot of crap, I've seen him in a few movies. All actors small, big name, have to do crap movies at first. Look at Tom Hanks, all he use to do was comedy, then Apollo 13 he was cast in, then he was a different actor.
  • MichaelJames
    Guitar you must be right about not being able to make a hit movie for 20 grand. I mean Oren Peli, the writer and director of Paranormal Activities made his movie for 15 grand which is not 20 grand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranormal_activity#Production
    Damn that movie only grossed 193 million world wide and a popular franchise which also grosses millions of dollars. ALl those actors were paid 500 dollars for their work in the first film, and filmed out here in San Diego County.
    Clerks was shot for 27k.
    Pi was shot for 60k.

No one said make avatar for 20 grand, especially if they had to use completely new technology and a recycled plot from gone with the wind, or if you want something a lil more sci fi FernGully which was a kids movie involving the destruction of the rainforest.
    Maybe the clearly limited amount of indie films that try to use big budgets weren't that good, but there is work which really is great.
    On ewoks... well maybe you haven't seen or read everything this makes reference to the fact that they were originally going to be wookies and were changed. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ewok
    There will be no Legend of Zelda movie because Nintendo has become fiercely protective of their content after Mario Brothers failed. Its not a studio's decision... its Nintendo's decision. No studio would just have difficulty finding an actor... that doesn't have to look like a real person.
    Apollo 13 was released in 95... before that notable work by tom hanks was forest gump in 94, Philadelphia in 93, Sleepless in seattle in 93, a league of their own in 92 and also radio flyer that same year.
    Anything else I can easily disprove by a quick internet search?
  • guitar74
    Michael James,
    People can add things to wikipedia. Just saying all of the doc's I saw on the 3 star wars films from 1977 and to I think 83, nothing was ever said about that, I guess lucas just saved that info for wikipedia. I forgot about the crap tom hanks put out before apollo 13, but I see that you left off at 92. I guess that is why I did not see him for a few years there. Lif of PI cost 120 Million dollars to make! Nintendo messed up when they let a studio make mario brothers for number one. A good director not aimed at kids, zelda would work, but I guess Nintendo got other problems right now with the Wii U.
    Paranormal Activities, I mean that movie actually needed a script. Why did that series do well, people either went and saw it for a good laugh or they were not thinking right. Those movies are all the same and horrible.
    I know clerks was done really cheap, But Mr. James you told me at a movie being done cheaply with great visual effects....! Clerks had no great visual effects and Paranormial activities, there was nothing special there either. I dont know if there was a cheap version of life of pi made, I just know about the 3d one, I never researched it, I just know it cost a lot of money to make.
    Actually have not disproven anything I have said yet. You ran around in cicrles of everything you said. The tom hanks things, I knew he made those movies, before apollo 13, but they were neither great or serious as apollo 13. The other movies were comedies,forest gump-No comment was not good, league of their own, comedy, sleepless in seattle-chick flick, radio flyer I have not ever seen that one. Try again my friend.
  • MichaelJames
    @guitar... its starwars... you will not find a government website or really credible sources when it comes to Ewoks. Yea Lucas has a bad habit of saving things for future release.
    Tom Hanks... how many great movies did I list before Apollo 13. 5 movies. People are allowed to have a bad work history but when you've been in 5 great movies as a great actor in 4 years...youre a good actor and no one cares that you did 80s comedies. THey kept him working, and famous and gave him the chance to audition for better movies later. His work was not great or serious before Apollo 13? He won 2 Academy Awards before making that movie.
    I didn't say Life of PI... I said Pi... there are 2 different movies. Again a quick Google search would help you.
    I don't care why Mario didn't work, I just don't think you should be easily throwing around why Zelda hasn't moved on when its nothing related to what you're saying. Nintendo is not playing ball with anyone Also the Wii U? what problems do you think they have, so I can actually go get some facts and disprove it? Once again they have a fun console that is selling out. They make a profit as soon as 1 wii u game is sold. A
    Paranormal Activity had got a strong reaction from the general public and made millions. Its easy for you to pick and choose what you would like to count as a good movie or not but the fact is for 15k a movie that made many millions, sequels that made millions and was a box office hit was good enough. That one has visual effects.
    You are not dealing with facts just opinions and that is where we are getting into circles. You are free to say whatever you'd like, offer no support details and then just defer to your personal tastes or barely related personal experiences. My goal isn't to convince you Tom Hanks is a great actor, or Paranormal Activities is the greatest movie or even something you should watch. My goal is to provide facts that say regardless of your personal opinion the majority of Americans recognize Tom Hanks for being a great actor before Apollo 13 and that Paranormal Activities was shot for less then 20k, and did tremendously in every capacity. You do not have to like Clerks to know that it did very well and had a long lasting impact. You are free to believe Tom Hank's movies in the 90s which won him 2 Academy Awards were not serious but or great but I don't think you've seen Philadelphia if you could say that.
    Im not going to engage you further on the forum because there is no point. You are more then welcome to believe whatever you'd like in spite of facts and additional information. Michael James <- Its one name, not my last name. Thank you for taking the time to reply and engage me on here, its been very interesting.