Creating Mordor in Hitfilm

FingerPeopleMoviesFingerPeopleMovies Website User Posts: 41
edited December 2012 in Practical Filmmaking
I've done several Gollum videos before, but I thought with Hitfilm 2 Ultimate I could take it a step further and have a video actually take place in Middle-Earth. I created the side of Mount Doom, the mountain range in the background, and the sky dome in Bryce 7.1 (free from Daz3d.com) and imported them into Hitfilm. I had some difficulty moving the camera around, so I parented it to a control point. The fireballs were mobile emitters with the simulator positioned in the center of the ash column. For Barad-dur, I just found an image on the internet, rotoscoped it, and applied vibrance to make it fit in the scene better. I tried to get a more hand-held feel using the shake effect. I narrowed the camera's depth of field, and tried adjusting the focus as it moved through the scene. Sometimes I could get it to focus, sometimes not. This was the first film I've made in which all of the editing was done inside Hitfilm, and I can say that it has become my preferred NLE.

Comments

• ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    It might look better if you made the sky a little brighter and had some diffused light with a red gel effect on it. There isn't enough contrast to really see much of the landscape.
    For example, here's something I did a while back in a similar setting (although not a volcano) with some terrain I had modeled in Bryce.
  • FingerPeopleMoviesFingerPeopleMovies Website User Posts: 41

It might look better if you made the sky a little brighter and had some diffused light with a red gel effect on it. There isn't enough contrast to really see much of the landscape.
    For example, here's something I did a while back in a similar setting (although not a volcano) with some terrain I had modeled in Bryce.
    Aha! I see what you mean. I did go very dark, partly as a way to cheat and get the different parts of the landscape to fit together better.. haha. However, I agree that making the sky brighter probably would have been a good idea.
    [quote name='Flexinoodle']
    I had a bloody good chuckle at that hahaha thank you, very cool idea :)
    [/quote]
    Thanks! I plan to have many more Gollum videos in the future, if anyone has ideas. I would like to eventually use a digital Gollum, but that's still a ways down the road..
  • ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Yeah, Bryce doesn't have the most intuitive interface for working in. But in the last few months, I abandoned Bryce and bought a copy of Vue. The user interface is a lot better and it has a lot of nice features to give me a much more professional look and save me some time and headache. It's really nice to just be able to paint on an ecosystem, have a node based system, etc. It'll even create terrain that will expand infinitely if you need it to.
  • FingerPeopleMoviesFingerPeopleMovies Website User Posts: 41
    I've looked into Vue before, but Bryce is free, so I'll stick with it for now :) It's good to know that it's better, though. One of these years I'll upgrade...
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador
    Love it!!! Fracking awesome! :)