sci-fi pov guns

JCL_Films
JCL_Films Posts: 158 Enthusiast
I am planning a movie that has a lot of POV shots in it. I saw filmmakin.com and their pov guns (and really like it), but I am looking for something a little more sci-fi. Nothing as extreme as halo but a little more futuristic would be great. Any ideas?

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Grap yourself some NERF guns, and repaint them. They are pretty cheap to begin with, but on any given day i can walk into my local Goodwill and get a used NERF gun for $2, and I'm in a small town. If you are in a city, it should be even easier to find them used in second-hand stores, since they don't even need to work anymore to serve as props. While you are at it, look for any other toys in there that have cool looking bits you could saw off and glue to the nerf guns, to customize them a bit before repainting.
  • I have a nerf shotgun that I spray painted with chrome paint and looks really sci fi. I picked it up at a yard sale for 2 bucks. yard sales are awesome for props.
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Posts: 369
    edited January 2013
    in the early sci-fi films a lot of props were made from everyday household items. I have a collection of empty plastic bottles and what not that i plan on turning into some retro style sci-fi guns. They started using odd bits of junk like that in the 1930's serials like buck rogers and flash gordon, but the practice continued on for quite a while, in Star Trek the motion picture one of the shuttle craft nacelles are handles off of disposable razors, the light sabers from Star Wars were made from old camera parts. The idea of having custom made props for a film is a relatively new concept. One of the first things that sparked my interest in film making was watching the making of movies to see how the prop guys made all this stuff from old junk around the house.
    I just remembered one of my favorite more recent house hold props, in Star Trek The Undiscovered Country, look for the vacuum cleaner hoses on General Chang's uniform
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited January 2013

Grap yourself some NERF guns, and repaint them. They are pretty cheap to begin with, but on any given day i can walk into my local Goodwill and get a used NERF gun for $2, and I'm in a small town. If you are in a city, it should be even easier to find them used in second-hand stores, since they don't even need to work anymore to serve as props. While you are at it, look for any other toys in there that have cool looking bits you could saw off and glue to the nerf guns, to customize them a bit before repainting.
    Hey, if it works for a major TV show then it should work for independent film makers too:
    Terra Nova, guns
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    Could always go old school and use some old school NES Duck Hunt guns.
  • fredclips
    fredclips Posts: 228

Hey, if it works for a major TV show then it should work for independent film makers too:
    Terra Nova, guns
    I was talking to a guy who worked on Terra Nova about these guns. The one pro-tip he did offer was to fill the NERF (any any other) gun with weights so it felt more like a real gun. It also helps the actors holding them to look better, they have something that feels more realistic to work with. The guns also don't bounce and stuff if dropped.
  • i usually use a mix of sand and elmer's glue to fill my guns with, once the glue sets up the sand won't shift around inside the prop. To save some money you can even water down the glue a bit
  • JCL_Films
    JCL_Films Posts: 158 Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the help everyone! This has been very helpful. I will get my hands on some cheap NERF guns, weigh them down, paint them black, and call it good. Now I just need to create some cool sci-fi mussel flashes to go with them. I was thinking of combining the particle simulator with graded stock footage. Any thoughts?
  • fredclips
    fredclips Posts: 228
    Have a look at the making of Prism from Corridor Digital.
    They talk about lots of stuff but do briefly touch on the plasma rifle effects. (I think it is around 3:30 mark)
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Posts: 369
    edited January 2013
    a tip for painting. I find that one solid color does not look real. I find to make something look real you need to use at least 3 colors, 5 is even better. For your guns you could use a base coat of black, then dark grays for raised areas. Dry brush on some scuffs and scrapes, make them look used. Attention to detail is key.
    No one notices the rust spot under rivet 37, but they notice when the rust spot under rivet 37 isn't there.