Gangnam Style

AzulonsAssassinAzulonsAssassin Website User Posts: 109 Enthusiast
edited November 2012 in General
Ok. So I used to hate this new dance/song craze. I never thought it would get anywhere. Apparently I was wrong, since even Madonna did it during her concert. But anyway, I now love it. I have no idea why. But I was doing the dance in my physical education class today, and my coach asked what I was doing. I told him, and not only did he make me teach him to do it, he also made me show the girls' coach. Anyway, just thought I'd ask your opinions on this new craze. The dance is actually pretty fun, believe it or not.

Comments

• AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Congrats, I guess.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Fascinating.
    This isn't really a 'new' craze, though. The Gangnam video has been doing the rounds for quite some time now.
    I have absolutely no interest in the dance/song itself but I do find the unprecedented viral success of the video very interesting. It's notable for blending the two guaranteed success elements of the internet: utter silliness and high quality content. While the dance is utterly ridiculous, the video and song are notable for having very high production values.
    I'm sure marketeers are falling over each other trying to identify exactly why it's become the most watched video in YouTube's history in such a short time, and in the next 6 months we'll no doubt see a bunch of lame copycat attempts that entirely misunderstand what it's all about.
  • dsnell0417dsnell0417 Website User Posts: 74
    Simon, you just described most of Hollywood for the last 10 years.
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    And all of internet memes for all of time.
    Don't mince words Flexinoodle - tell us how you really feel! :D
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    So are you saying you don't like it? I can't quite tell. :)
    I actually quite like the video. It's silly and fun and pokes fun at its target rather well. Not my kind of music in the slightest, of course, but in the context of the video is amused me.
    Although the Klingon version is much better.
  • ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Actually, I used to live in Gangnam in Seoul. If you understand the lyrics of the song and have been there, it takes on a different meaning. It's an intentionally goofy song to kind of mock the things that go on in Gangnam. It's sort of like the Manhattan of Seoul. It's a really wealthy district with lots of skyscrapers, where a lot of women go to get seen (by wealthy men) and a lot of guys go to try and pick up women. So the song is designed to have a beat that can get lots of play in Korean nightclubs (the key to generating sales over there) and to be goofy and mock guys trying to pick up women there. I thought it was actually pretty funny the first time I heard it. But I never thought it'd become a hit in the US. I'm sure that was more of a fluke than by design.
    Funny, you don't look Korean.
    I'm American, but sort of honorary Korean. I spent about 15 years studying Korean martial arts, learned the language in college, and then lived in Korea for about 7 years after that. So I can speak Korean fairly fluently and I lived in the culture long enough to get a good sense of it.
  • AzulonsAssassinAzulonsAssassin Website User Posts: 109 Enthusiast
    Yeah. I like it because it's silly. Plus I ca't understand it, so my friends and I just say stuff in English that sounds similar, which adds to the silliness.
    Also, David So did a pretty funny parody of the song.