Chroma Key Effect Details?

I've been looking at the Chroma Key effect which might be able to eliminate some of the edge jitter I'm dealing with in my videos. It has many options and I'd love to be able to learn them, but I can't find anything that explains any of them. For instance what does "inside mask" do? What's the "source" property? Matte channel? What's "clip rollback?" It wouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes for someone who understood to walk through the properties and give a hint about each, but without already knowing, the names of the properties are like some kind of code and I don't have the key.
Does anyone understand how to use this effect, and can you give us some clues?
(and yes, I know there are other green-screen effects that work just fine.....But if this one didn't have some kind of usefulness, they wouldn't have included it, so I want to learn the tool so I can decide when it's useful and when it's overkill.)
Brink

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    There are tons of new features in Hitfilm 2, and the Chroma Key is just one of them. We do plan to create tutorials for all of them, but I can only do one a time, and I haven't gotten to that one yet. Its definitely on the list for the near future though. We are working on them as fast as we can, I promise!
    In the mean time, you might find some helpful information in this video. It was created for our still-image product, PhotoKey, but many of the controls and the underlying tech are quite similar. There are some differences between the PhotoKey and HitFilm versions of the effect, but this might at least get you started:
  • BrinkBrink Website User Posts: 6
    Thanks Axel. That helps a lot for the general and matte options. I'll look forward to a more complete tutorial, but this gets me started and I certainly understand that *everything* can't be *first*.
    I wonder if you could just define "inside mask" (and "outside mask" if it's not obvious from the definition of inside mask) so that I'll have some clue what I'm generally doing as I play with the specific options in those ares?
    Brink
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    To be honest, I'm not that familiar with those particular controls myself yet, but they do relate to using other layers as mask sources, and are thus options that won't be used in your average Chroma Key. For general keying, you can ignore those bits and you'll be just fine. Once I get to work on the tutorial, i"ll be sure to bone up on what those sections are for, exactly, so I can explain it properly.
  • BrinkBrink Website User Posts: 6
    Ok. I'll look forward to it. I assumed it was something along those lines, but in my work with Photoshop I've found that when using layers or masks as a source for driving a filter or effect, it's important to understand the objective in order to know if the source should provide a gradient, edge detection/feathering, an area mask, or some other sort of data. I understand these tools are generally for special purposes, but they're incredibly useful to understand when those situations arise.
    Anyway, thanks for the info so far, and as always thanks for the VERY fast response. You guys are the most "on top of customer support" of any software company I've dealt with so far. It was a big factor in selling me on the software in the first place, and on the recent upgrade.
    Brink