64 gig micro sd cards 40 bucks

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
If you go onto amazon right now you can get a 64 gig micro sd car for 40 bucks.

Comments

• Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I was tempted to pick up a 32 gig at best buy on sale for black Friday for 17 bucks but I held off. A micro has more uses then a normal SD card.
    Just picked up a 480 gig ssd for $299. I saw it on Amazons Lightning deals and just had to pounce. I am doing my best to prepare for a BMCC
  • guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    Normal price at amazon is usually around 38 to 45 dollars.
    Again I bring this up because there is going to be a lightning deal. Means a limited quantity will get discounted heavily. I picked up a 480 gig ssd for the price of what you could find a 240 ssd on sale for.
    On sale for 35.99
    so a 480 gig solid state drive for 35 dollars?? I dont think you going to find one that cheap.
    the 35.99 was in reference to the 64 gig micro sd card that was a lightning deal.
  • AndrewAndrew Website User Posts: 379 Enthusiast
    These are all not that great.......of......deals?
    @Andrew Any recommendations on places to scout for deals? The 64 gig micro sd card isn't a super deal, but at the moment its getting it on the lowest side of prices around. The SSD was a great deal, but I am sure in 6 months the 480 gb ssds will be down to 199.
    Solid state drives are way over priced.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Are they? How much do they cost to produce, and what is the markup? And which manufacturer are your pricing calculations coming from?
    Electronics have a mark up of 90 to 120%. I use to work at wal mart and saw the markup on electronics. I can understand the first year is where the company is suppose to make the money back. Most electronics are coming from China or Japan, so if they are made in china like most electronics, then the markup is very high. I just think for what it is, they are over priced. If they do come from china then to cost to produce there would be less than 30 dollars. That is my opinion. I understand they are suppose to be faster than a HD, but the price I saw of those things, you can buy a laptop for almost the same price.
    @guitar74 you can say they are highly marked up but lets look at some actual facts which influence cost.
    http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-pricing.html

All of those things factor into the cost. This isn't like a mass produced toy coming from china. They are coming from a factory next to that toy factory and have additional costs. If I have to license the tech to make an SSD, and also ensure a low failure rate, and then get it packaged up and on stores... there's a million different little costs in there. If it was just a pure mark up... you'd have some company coming out with a 1 tb ssd for half the cost of a 240 gb SSD and then just dominate the market. I bought a 4tb external ssd with is still different then the 480 gb internal ssd I have coming. On amazon I am seeing 2 SSDs made my OCZ with 480gb of stpace listed at different prices. Lets look at what is causing about a 50 dollar difference. They are both 2.5" 3 series SATA drives. One has a Max read speed of 530 MB/s and a max 4kb write speed at 40k IOPS. The other has a slightly lower max read speed of 525MB/s and a max write of 30k IOPS.
    Please be careful of comparing apples or oranges. Electronics is a wide field and most the low and you cannot confuse the electronics side needed to make a simple radio to the electronics to make a computer. radio's have a huge mark up... because it doesn't cause $19.99 to produce a radio. Hell, it doesn't cost $5 to make the radio. With all the businesses in the mix still needing to make a profit there is for sure a mark up, but new stuff always costs more.
    Yes I could buy a cheap netbook for the price of my new external harddrive, but the difference is in functionality. The netbook is cheaper older technology and easier to produce and does not provide the same functionality as the latest and greatest harddrive. I have 3 ssds in my system. 1 internal ssd at 240 gbs with 223 usable. 1 extra goflex drive that's 500gb, with 465 usable and now a 4tb externally powered drive, with 3.63 tb usable and the 480 gb ssd coming. I don't need a cheap laptop that I couldn't edit with or do anything but websearch with. The 480gb card will be for a BlackMagic Cinema Camera that I have on order, will eventually need a second one.

Overpriced for your taste doesn't actually mean overpriced by market value and that opinion could hurt noobies who are trying to shop smart and come across your opinion and mistake it for fact. Right now, if you are going to get an 480gb SSD harddrive $299 is a great price and below the cheapest in the market and that's what makes it a good deal. I am sure in 6 months or a year from now 299 will buy a 1 TB internal ssd.
    Also, if you own a mac... you can't complain about markups.
    Its a very new technology

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2009/05/why_would_a_32gb_drive_cost_mo/

Information on the fastest SSDs
    http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-fastest.html
    @guitar74 I do owe you a thank you though. See I got so frustrated at this whole thing with the ssd that I was wondering where was mine. I checked Amazon and it said it was delievered today. Well I had got a bunch of deliveries today but not that. I prayed that it was a mistake because I thought I already went through the boxes and then tossed them in the dumpster of my apartment. I rushed out and saw that the dumpster only had my boxes and a little trash in it. I went to my car and got a boom mic pole that I am using from school and tipped the boxes over in the trash. Turns out it was under the plastic cushions in the box. Had to use the boom pole to move it up the side of the dumpster and get it. After washing the pole, my hands, opening the plastic around the SSD and then washing my hands again it is safe.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    As an aside, a 120GB SSD I bought recently at a reduced price is probably the best upgrade I've made to my computer for years. Makes a massive difference to perceived performance. It's the first time my system has properly multi-tasked, really, without crunching a bit.
    SSDs were ridiculously priced until about a year ago, but they're now very competitively priced for what they are. Sure, compared to a standard HDD they're expensive, but they're also considerably better.
    Simon I built a computer running WIndows 8 and using an SSD. Man the start up is amazing. Like a 7 second start from off.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yeah, Windows 7 is pretty snappy on startup too. The main thing is that once you're at the desktop, you can instantly do anything you want, including loading multiple programs. Pre-SSD, I always had to wait while random stuff loaded in the background for ~30 seconds before I could do anything like start Chrome.
    have you seen the SSD PCI cards? or the SSD caches? The caches can only be used on windows 7 or 8 but they aren't registered as a harddrive, but instead are a cache to preload applications.
    SSD Cache
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Desktop-Caching-SSD-SDSSDRC-032G-G26/dp/B008U3038I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354736008&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd+cache
    SSD PCI
    http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Drive-Series-Express/dp/B0058RECUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354736200&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd+pci

@guitar74 I do owe you a thank you though. See I got so frustrated at this whole thing with the ssd that I was wondering where was mine. I checked Amazon and it said it was delievered today. Well I had got a bunch of deliveries today but not that. I prayed that it was a mistake because I thought I already went through the boxes and then tossed them in the dumpster of my apartment. I rushed out and saw that the dumpster only had my boxes and a little trash in it. I went to my car and got a boom mic pole that I am using from school and tipped the boxes over in the trash. Turns out it was under the plastic cushions in the box. Had to use the boom pole to move it up the side of the dumpster and get it. After washing the pole, my hands, opening the plastic around the SSD and then washing my hands again it is safe.
    See Simon even said they are ridiculous priced. Trust me, the cost to produce those are cheap, the cost to the customer is a 100% to 150% mark up. Remember things made in over in countries like China and etc, is cheap to make and build over there. I was shocked to see halloween candy made in China. IF things were not made over there they cost would be to high. I never said the SSD was bad or not good, but over price when they dont need to cost that much. I'm sure they got a TB SSD drive already, just not for the public. It is my opinion, no need to get mad about it, it is just the truth when the cost is inflated. I saw a 3 TB external drive, a western digital, that cost $150.00 dollars, it was reduce price from $250.00. Just like the PS3 and etc, those machines were over priced and Sony had to drop the price. Everyone on here has a opionion on things and I think things cost to much, in the US companies are just greedy!
    Lol that selective hearing... he said WERE That was also when they were brand new technology. Now they have variations on the technology and demand is driving the price down.
    THings made in china are cheaper.... doesn't mean everything is made for pennies.
    Don't need to cost that much? Says who? That's kinda like what you think vs business and reality. Remember when making CD players was expensive... now they are dirt cheap. A new technology comes out... you have to invest in the technology to build it and test it and get it out. Then when you've made your investment back and parts and supplies are cheaper prices will fall.
    Yes I am sure they have research teams who constantly look at more and more technology, they are a business after all.
    Your stringing together a bunch of half truths. The 3 tb external drive could have been discounted for any number of reasons. When WD started releasing 500gb harddrives there was a higher failure rate then what we are use to now. It was a newer tech that they pushed out. Also, there are different technologies in play and if you weren't that observant then you could just think its the same tech as the 4gb external tb drive when they are completely different.
    Here is a 3 tb hardrive for 138.96dollars. IS that the same has the 4 tb external harddrive I got onsale for 183? No. I mean you could easily get a enclosure and do the same thing but get different performance results. THe PS3 was eventually discounted and sold at a even further loss. Eventually the cost to produce these goods decreased and they eventually started profiting on the sale of the hardware.
    If you're not familiar with technology and basic business then its all going to not make sense and bleed together. Working in walmart in sales doesn't qualify you to know product sales. Not all products are the same and a lot of times you get what you pay for. THat 32" Spectre LED tv thats going for 189 isn't the same for Toshiba 32" LED tv for 400 and Toshiba does way better quality control.
    The Devil is in the details, and if you can lump things together then you miss the details.

See Simon even said they are ridiculous priced.
    Not exactly. What I precisely said was:
    [quote]SSDs were ridiculously priced until about a year ago, but they're now very competitively priced for what they are. [/quote]