New Laptop - HF2 running very poorly ...help? (RESOLVED)

EGCEGC Website User Posts: 16
I've just bought a metabox P170EM with Hit film in mind. I've got the trial version up and running and it is really, really slow.
Not sure what of this is useful, but this is what I have:
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5 video graphics
Processor: i7-3630QM Quad Core CPU 2.4GHz up to 3.4GHz
RAM memory: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (4 x 4GB)
mSATA mini SSD: mSATA mini SSD SATA II speed
128GB SSD Samsung 520/320MBs
Secondary HD: 750GB 7200 rpm HDD

Can anyone let me know if I've just wasted my money or if there is something I could be doing to make this work?

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,426 Staff

I've just bought a metabox P170EM with Hit film in mind. I've got the trial version up and running and it is really, really slow.
    Not sure what of this is useful, but this is what I have:
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5 video graphics
    Processor: i7-3630QM Quad Core CPU 2.4GHz up to 3.4GHz
    RAM memory: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM (4 x 4GB)
    mSATA mini SSD: mSATA mini SSD SATA II speed
    128GB SSD Samsung 520/320MBs
    Secondary HD: 750GB 7200 rpm HDD

Can anyone let me know if I've just wasted my money or if there is something I could be doing to make this work?
    Hi,
    Firstly what are you trying to do within the software? Are you editing footage, running through a tutorial or setting up a Particle Simulation?
    Secondly have you updated your drivers? GTX 675M Driver
    Finally, your machine is equipped with Optimus Technology. This means your laptop will only use the Nvidia GTX 675M within certain profiles (3D Games.. etc) All other times it will use the much slower (compared to the GTX 675M) Intel HD 4000. You will need to manually set up a profile for HitFilm 2 on your machine, then it will use the Nvidia GTX 675M when launching the software, not the Intel HD. You can read about how to do this here
    I hope this helps
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • jmajma Website User Posts: 84
    At the moment I'm working through tutorials, but am hoping to edit with some particle simulation. I've already updated the driver, but will certainly be looking into the optimus thing, as that could very well be the problem

At the moment I'm working through tutorials, but am hoping to edit with some particle simulation. I've already updated the driver, but will certainly be looking into the optimus thing, as that could very well be the problem
    I think Optimus is the likely culprit here, please do keep me updated on this.
    Thanks,
    Ady
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I also have a notebook with dual GPU's. As Ady mentioned, If you have not intentionally told the system to use the faster GPU for hitfilm, it will always use the slower one.
    Richard.
    As far as I can tell I had accidentally already told the computer to use the NVIDIA card - so it looks like that isn't the issue. Any other ideas?
    I've attached a screencap of task manager as this is still a HUGE problem (lagging is making hitfilm unusable).
    What is running that shouldn't be? Any other ideas as to why this is happening?
    Can you do a screen shot of your GPU settings for hitfilm? Since HF mostly uses the GPU instead of the CPU, even though other processes can slow it down, it's not like other apps.
    Here's a screen shot of my settings for setting HF to use the right GPU.
    [img]http://downloads.binghamphotography.com/hfgpusettings.jpg[/img]
    edited November 2012
    Consider it done.
    It looks like you've got everything setup right, not sure what else to tell you.
    Yours should be faster than mine since you've got the 675m over my 670m, plus the faster cpu and SSD.
    Is it slow for everything, such as just playing footage, or when you add effects?
    Mine plays footage just fine, and can do some effects, but if I add something like particles, it gets slower as I increase the number of actual particles alive at any given time.
    edited November 2012
    It's running pretty slow when I add effects. It's usually after I've been working on it for about an hour or so. At the moment I have a helicopter model in compositing with a flare plane, light, bg footage (standard def) abd spotlight and it is getting pretty horrible. Oh, and some basic colour grading - for about 7 secs of footage

HitFilm folks - could this be a bad download?
    And playback on the editor (even at quater render) is pretty much non existant.

And playback on the editor (even at quater render) is pretty much non existant.
    Hi,
    Sorry you are still having problems.
    The only difference I can see between yours & Richards set-up is that a lot of things in your Nvidia Profile is forced upon the HitFilm application. Have you changed these settings manually? For instance you have lots for Anti Aliasing settings turned on, Anisotropic Filtering... etc, these will most likely slow down HitFilm as they are not supported. I would suggest putting these back to application setting or restoring them to defaults if you have already changed them manually.
    Thanks,
    Ady
    I'll give this a try - hell, it can't hurt!
    Here are the changes I've made - is this what you're talking about? I'm not terribly good at hardware/setting etc, I just want something that works.

Here are the changes I've made - is this what you're talking about? I'm not terribly good at hardware/setting etc, I just want something that works.
    I don't think the image attached, maybe try again when you're next online?
    Also I responded to your Support Ticket today, again get back to me when you can. I'd like to sort this for you.
    Many Thanks,
    Ady
    Will try again....
    As annoying as it is not to have the program working properly, I must say that HitFilm's customer service is outstanding, especially compared to Adobe.

Will try again....
    As annoying as it is not to have the program working properly, I must say that HitFilm's customer service is outstanding, especially compared to Adobe.
    I'm sorry this must be a frustrating experience for you, I can only apologise.
    Could you try returning the following to how they were set before:
    Anisotropic Filtering - Use Global Setting x4
    Antialiasing Gamma Correction - Use Global Setting On
    Could you keep the following as it is:
    Antialiasing Mode - Keep Application Controlled
    If the problem persists then change it back to the following again:
    Antialiasing Mode - Use Global Setting (Override any Application)
    Let me know how you get on
    Thanks,
    Ady
    This issue was resolved. It involved teaking the power options (and a windows reinstall that I did against advice, that may have been unnecessary).
    You guys are developing an excellent reputation for your customer service.

This issue was resolved. It involved teaking the power options (and a windows reinstall that I did against advice, that may have been unnecessary).
    You guys are developing an excellent reputation for your customer service.
    Thanks for letting us know & thank you for your patience.
    Kind Regards,
    Ady
    Good to hear you got it resolved. I didn't think about power options, though it makes some sense, since when I run on just battery, the GPU runs really slooooooow.
    Richard.