My Newest Movie Blazing Warfare, please leave criticism

wertyasdoowertyasdoo Website User Posts: 37
Thanks For Watching :D

Please Leave Some Helpful Criticism!

Comments

• LinkedPicturesLinkedPictures Website User Posts: 150
    Right. Your videos are SERIOUSLY getting the same now. Nothing original, just boring, samey, mindless killing. The motive is not clear at all for all the violence, probably because there's never a plot. Please for the love of god, improve your video's stories. Oh, and your renders.
  • wertyasdoowertyasdoo Website User Posts: 37
    I said POSITIVE criticism
    What do you mean by renders?
    I mean to add plot, but whenever I do, It doesn't turn out good.
    Right now, I am mainly focusing on the vfx, not the story.
    How is it unoriginal?
    I hate it so much when I put work into something just to see you be an jerk about it
    You've already got the VFX pretty much right, my god, how you've improved since, say: lazer show :P So yeah, It'd be awesome if you focused on plot for your next video. And by unoriginal, I mean that it's TOO similar to some of your other videos.
    P.S. I don't mean to be a jerk. :)
    OOOOOOHHHHH ok
    Thnx for clearing that up, I guess I was just shaken up from *Dramatic Pause* HIM
    (vouloubleasteroid2)
    Anyways thanks
    Could you explain the rendering thing to me?
    And Sorry For meaning to be a jerk, its just that i saw the new dislike and I was a like, IT WAS YOU
    I simply had to dislike, I'm sorry. the asteroid dude is a douche. I realize that now. So, the rendering thing I hear you ask? Well, make sure you render out in the same format that you record in. Please, please, please do this. I learnt it the hard way, look at my video, "Life In Reverse". The frame rate is odd, the screen is dark, and everything just looks a bit grainy. You can improve the overall quality of your piece by SO much just by doing this.
    I hope this was mildly helpful.
    you mean like in 720p or like 1280p
    Please tell me more if you can
    Thnx
  • UmzikyUmziky Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
    I think he refers to the framerate. If you pause on a frame with a lot of movement in it, you'll see that everything is basically seen twice. That is because two frames are blended into one.
  • UmzikyUmziky Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out
    But now for my own criticism, the explosion doesn't blend very well. Try adding more glow and environmental interaction, and layer many things, like smoke and stuff. Also, you could try doing some fancy color grading.
    No, I mean format. Check whether your camera records in .MOV or .AVI or .WMV etc. Then export it in the same format
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2012
    I think the explosion was poorly blended into the scene. It looked like exactly what it was, stock footage. Not really believable at all. The blood effect when the guy kills the other guy with the knife, is also pretty obviously fake. I suggest trying to do some of these effects practically rather than using all stock footage for everything. On the other hand, most of the muzzle flashes were decent. The overall camera movement and cuts pretty much screamed "home movie." I would suggest reading up on cinematography or watching some well done action scenes from your favorite movies to see how it is they use and move the camera. I also agree that it could use some grading, although I would warn against over doing it as it will make it look more cheesy. Also, get rid of the random black space at the end where nothing happens.
    Also, not trying to be rude or a "jerk". Just sharing my 2 cents.
    Well sorry, on a budget
    I know the explosion was done badly, it was in a rush and I get to do all the extras like smoke and debris because I was lazy (sorry)
    I have done better before though
    I can't do all the focusus and shallow depth of field and stuff because my camera is like a flip
    Do you want the blood to be realistic? Cause most videos don't make em realistic, for example, freddiew
    Didn't do much color correcting because Last time I over did it (Like you said)
    Thnx for the criticism, I will mean to put into use in the future
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited November 2012
    A far as the cinematography goes, you don't need shallow depth of field to get more pleasant looking shots. To be honest, using shallow depth of field in an action scene is probably a horrendous idea to begin with. I am talking about the angles you use. How far you are from your actors. How many times you cut and when and why. First, in an action scene, typically there are far more cuts than your video. An action scene like yours is less intense because the pacing feels slow because there is very little "energy" in the camera. The audience doesn't feel the energy. Once again, just watch a couple good action movies and I think you will understand what I mean.
    As far as the blood goes and FreddieW. FreddieW does a great job at what he does, and he does video game parodies. He isn't going for realism, he is attempting to recreate an effect from a video game. If you are going for realism, the effects were poor. If you are going for a video game style effect they were ok, but still not all that good. Just my opinion of course.
    Just so you know, color correction is when you "correct" a scene where the color isn't quite accurate to life, and color grading is when you color a scene, typically after color correction is done, to get a desired feel.
    Once again, not trying to be a jerk, just sharing my opinion, as you asked for criticism.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited November 2012
    Matthias offers great advice. Good cinematography is partly about the technical equipment, but it's MOSTLY about the skill of the cameraman and cinematographer. The best camera is the one you have with you, as they say. Read up on continuity editing and framing shots: even small, subtle changes can make a MASSIVE improvement to any video project.
    But, really, Matthias' advice to watch and analyse your favourite movies is the best approach. Don't just watch and enjoy them - pick out a specific scene, watch it a couple of times and try to break it apart to find out why it's so awesome. Pay attention to things like:
    - How frequently does it cut to a new shot?
    - Is the camera movement smooth or shakey, or a mixture? If it's a mixture, try to identify why they chose a particular style for particular shots.
    - Look at the framing. Is it really close and tight on the action, or is it far back and wide? Or again, is it a mixture?
    - If it's a fight scene, try watching it without any sound. It's often surprising how much work the sound does at making a fight feel intense.
    For example, compare Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's fights, which are shot with big, long wides and very few cuts, with a fight scene from Terminator 2, which is very intense, lots of cuts and close-ups.
    Hope this helps! Keep on making stuff, and make sure you focus on improving at least one aspect with each video, whether that's the sound, the editing, the cinematography, the effects, etc....
    Thanks!
    I will again make sure to put all of this info into use in the future!
  • FoxFox Website User Posts: 87 Enthusiast
    edited November 2012
    I think that citisme shut be fair and nice . . . LinkedPictures
    Anything else will scare people away. No one here is complete pro's and many are youngsters who are making thier first experiense doing effekts and making short movies. Encurage them at all times with suggestions how to get better in a nice cozy way.
    Yes the "Mindless killing" and no story line is a missing thing, but its allways better doing something than doing nothing. Next time you do something, your better as the true knowlegde in film making comes from your fails and constuktive critizme to improve your work.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    This is something that people (creators and commentators) are still coming to terms with, I think. It was an issue 10 years ago when online video started taking off and it's still an issue.
    Fact is, if a young filmmaker made a video 10+ years ago, it would be seen by a handful of family and friends. And that would be it.
    These days, a young filmmaker can get their video seen by theoretically millions (although practically it would tend to be a few hundred) - and, more importantly, those people are all (relatively speaking) strangers. Those viewers have no context about the filmmaker and no prior relationship with him. The filmmaker is putting his work in the public domain where it is being viewed by the general public.
    When you do that, you have to be prepared for negative comments, including unpleasant negative comments. Professional filmmakers have to deal with this all the time, but it's only since the internet established itself that it's been an issue for amateur filmmakers. Growing a thick skin and learning how to parse and filter comments is crucial.
    On the other hand, HitFilm.com is definitely a place for constructive criticism. All comments should aim to be useful - there's no room here for unpleasantness. Which is why I'm pleased to see that the comments in this topic are largely full of very useful advice and feedback. :)
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to what werty does next!