Ode to 2001: A Space Odyssey

NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
I'm learning the 3d model compositing aspect of HitFilm 2 and here is my little tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Comments

• MarkOmMarkOm Website User Posts: 63
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Looks nice! I would try adding some motion blur though, the animation currently looks quite rough.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Thanks guys!
    Robin, thats interesting. I thought that since the motion was so slow that motion blur might not have much of an effect, so I never even tried it out on this. Now I'm definitely going to do a render with motion blur on.
    Ok, I re-rendered with motion blur. I also re-did the lighting and camera moves and color grading. Making this has been a good learning experience. A couple of thing I've learned is that diffusing the shadows on 3d models will raise the render time a lot, so will motion blur. I also had an issue with self shadowing that would flick out of existence and then flick back. Adjusting the lighting helped to get rid of that, but there was was tweaking that needed to be done. Not sure if this is a product of HitFilm or the free models I'm using but, I was ultimately able to get it to work without any weirdness.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Love it. I've been wanting to do a full-on space sequence ever since HF2U got 3D functionality back during development - as you could probably tell from my various spacey tests. At some point I want to give a big space battle a go, Revenge of the Sith style.
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador
  • VikingFilm65VikingFilm65 Website User Posts: 261
    Great stuff! And 2001: A Space Oddyssey is a great Sci-Fi classic as well! :)
    Thanks again! The 3d model compositing is awesome!