Tracking / Masking Challenge

I'm revisiting a project I set aside a long time ago, and it involves tracking actual human video "heads" on the 3d Rendered bodies.
I have the technique working, but I'm having a problem masking out some items on a layer that I need masked.
I've got a short video walking you through the challenge here:
Click to see the screen capture video - about 1:40

Comments

• InTheFleshInTheFlesh Website User Posts: 143
    Why not something like this:
    1- Render out the animation without the heads OR the eyes/mouth.
    2- Render out just the eyes/mouth.
    3- Track the eyes and mouth and use it to drive the live action heads.
    4- Hide the eyes and mouth layer.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    It does seem like tracking masks is an area where Hitfilm could use some improvement. as you can't attach a mask to a point presently. What you can do is create a plane and mask the area which covers the face. Then track the eyes, apply the tracking to the plane, and use a Set Matte effect on the animation layer to assign the shape of the masked plane to the animation layer. I think that will work, but I haven't actually tried it personally.
  • Bob DoyleBob Doyle Website User Posts: 45
    @InTheFlesh, I could finally find a way in iClone to not render the eyes, but part of the mouth shows up. But also, I don't have the option to feather the edges around the neck like I need to make the final blend more natural and forgiving if the track isn't perfect.
    Axel, your approach sounds like what I was looking for. Don't fully understand the Set Matte command, so this solution wouldn't have occurred to me. I'll give it a try!
    Bob
    Axel that worked even better than expected! Makes a world of difference!
    But yes, PLEASE add the ability to track masks. Needed that from day 1. :) (Though this works in this case for SURE!)
    Ooops. Spoke a little too soon. The mask that I put behind the faces is showing up on the composite.
    http://imm.io/Ctml
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    You can disable the visibility for the plane, and the set matte effect will still work fine.
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but when I turn off visibility for the layer with the mask, you don't get any masking effect. The black circle created when I made the mask simply disappears and I see everything behind it.
    Maybe there's a step in the masking I'm missing?
    Hm, what channel of the Plane is the Set Matte effect using? Its probably best to use the Alpha, but you'll probably need a couple more steps to make that work.
    Right-click the plane, and convert it to a comp. Make sure that you move the masks with the layer, so they are applied to the plane inside the comp. Then, go back to your set matte effect on the original timeline, and use the Comp you just created as the source layer, using the Alpha channel. That should do it, and should work even if the visibility of the comp layer is turned off.