Poor performance in editor

Hi guys, New hitfilm guy here!
I have discovered that the performance of hitfilm goes down considerably when I try to put 'auto levels' on a clip. I presume that other effects will slow it down, since this is only a very basic effect.
I am frustrated by this, as I have a high spec laptop:
i7 laptop
16 gig of ram
3 gig video card (NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M)
Does anyone know of a setting I have missed or something?
I'll be grateful for any help!!!!!!!
Dan.

Comments

• seecheckstuffseecheckstuff Website User Posts: 9
    Oh, I've got a corsair 480gig gs solid state drive as well!
  • InTheFleshInTheFlesh Website User Posts: 143
    The GT 555M is on the low end of the recommended graphics cards for HitFilm. Hitfilm is a GPU intensive piece of software. Having the 3GB model doesn't really help out much as your card lacks in raw power. Unfortunately, laptops are limited in GPU power, so there isn't much I can suggest.
    Hopefully someone may have some other advice in regards to application specifics.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff
    If you use the standard Levels effect, rather than the Auto version, you will likely see a significant performance increase. The auto effects seem to impact performance significantly more than their manual counterparts. Try using some of the effects that aren't Auto, and see if things run more smoothly for you. Also, the format of your video can have a direct impact on how smoothly things perform, so if performance is an issue, make sure you are using a good intermediate codec (Like Quicktime Animation, or Avid DNxHD), which will give the best performance possible.
    There are also other adjustments you can make within HitFilm, based on the task at hand, to increase performance. Reducing the Render quality of the viewer, changing the preview options for the editor timeline, turning off motion blur, setting particle effects to Preview, and other settings like this can speed things up when necessary, then be adjusted again later when full quality is necessary.
  • Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
    edited August 2012
    Okay,all is not lost, there are several things you can do.
    1: Use a different indeterminate codec, some like to use AVI uncompressed. But this is a mistake, as you end up with these huge files, that can slow down even the fastest machine. I recently started using Avid DNxHD for QuickTime.
    2: Is going to take some home work, and should only be done if you have experience in over clocking. Since HF is a pig when it comes to the GPU, OCing it can help you some. Just know that you can do serious damage to your laptop if you do it wrong, and you need plenty of air flow to keep it cool.
    3: External GPU; yes this can be done, and here is a link that will tell you all about it.
    eGPU
    Laptops do make it easy to edit anywhere, and they are getting more powerful, just not on the graphics side.
    If I was to make a laptop to run HF, I would save some money by putting in an i5 instead of an i7, and then take that money I saved on the CPU, and use it on the GPU.
    Anyway, hope this helps.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,238 Staff
    Good suggestions, Eflat.
    Heh, I like how you always say people shouldn't try overclocking unless they have done it before. Surely there has to be a first time for anyone, yeah? At some point, everyone who has overclocked anything tried it without having experience in overclocking. I don't mean do discount your warnings about knowing what you are doing first; you are absolutely right that you need to do your research and make sure you know what you are getting into, and the risks, before you try it, I just found that other bit humorous.
    Also, Intermediate codec, not indeterminate. Intermediate codecs are designed for use during the intermediate stages of working with your footage, between capturing it with your camera, and delivering it in final form for viewing. I only clarify this technicality because the name actually helps to explain and define the reason these codecs are so important. Using a capture codec (such as the one used by the camera) or a delivery codec (like the ones used to encode video for final viewing) during the intermediate stages of working with your video (editing, compositing, and effects), won't work as well as using a codec designed for that purpose.
    I stand corrected!!!! I should rephrase it too, before you Over Clock, do your homework.
    Thanks for the information guys!
    I am now looking at external gpus. I think that the best solution is the Vdock,
    http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock
    It enables you to put in ANY pci graphics card and connect it to your laptop. The only problem is that my laptop doesn't have the required expresscard slot.
    I know that this is going a little off topic now, but I wondered - do you think it would work if I attached the device via a usb to expresscard adapter?
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0-expresscard-slot-19541?item=2
    Again, thank you guys for all the information, hopefully I will be editing smoothly soon.
    edited August 2012
    Hey use this link, it will give you all the info. Plus it has an adapter that will use the card reader on your laptop.
    [quote]
    3: External GPU; yes this can be done, and here is a link that will tell you all about it.
    eGPU [/quote]
    Okay didn't work the way I wanted it too. Just use the link below, and it should answer most of your questions.
    My linhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.htmlk
    Thanks Eflat. You've posted the link for the second time now! However, the link has helped me immensely, so thank you.
    I'm going to go to a computer expert tomorrow and ask him about the idea.
    I'll tell you what he says in my next post.
    Dan.