spiderman web slinging

im BIG SPIDERMAN FAN SO I WAS WANDERING IF SOMEONE COULD DO A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE A GOOD SPIDERMAN WEB SLINGING EFFECT THAT DOESNT LOOK CHEESY?

Comments

• shadowninja1028shadowninja1028 Website User Posts: 34
    Unfortunately without using wires and or some high quality 3d models it going to probably look cheesy anyways. You may be able to use a green screen some, but you would really still need wires unless you plan on just doing close-up shots or focusing only on his head or something. I'll give it some thought though and see if I can come up with anything different. The web part wouldn't be a problem especially with HitFilm but the swinging motion is going to be extremely tough to look convincing.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I think he means webslinging like shooting webs...
  • shadowninja1028shadowninja1028 Website User Posts: 34
    Yeah your probably right. I guess I just figured that he meant swinging because thats what web-slinging refers to, at least in the comics and films. He probably just means web shooting. My bad. Haha
    slinging web just means slinging... doesn't mean the character has to move. I think that would be a cool feature to add to hitfilm. Webbing particle generator.
  • JasonCGrubbJasonCGrubb Website User Posts: 6
  • Speaker FilmsSpeaker Films Website User Posts: 24
    i mean swinging
    Well watch the behind the scenes of any of the siderman movies. Wire work is required for the best look. A way you could cheat a little bit is to take still images of the person you want to have swining in poses and then animate them to give a swinging effect.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    I'll be very surprised if anyone can come up with a way to put together a non-cheesy Spider-man swinging shot without a significant budget. Just a non-cheesy SpiderMan costume, in and of itself, is going to require a decent budget, I think. But for the swinging, there are basically two ways to go about it and get good results:
    Practically, with an actor on wires swinging through a very large set or location. Ideal on-set, but the swinging could be done on a large greenscreen, and comped in later.
    Digitally, with a photorealistic digital double of Spiderman animated so he is swinging through the scene. The scene could either also be animated, or it could be a live action plate, into which the digital double is motion tracked.
    There are other methods to approach this type of scene, but I think all the others are going to involve a fair to middling amount of cheese. And frankly, so will the two I list above, unless they are pulled off very well.
  • CaptainQuiffCaptainQuiff Website User Posts: 1

okay so thats all well and good but how would an amature film maker doing a spidey fan film do web shooting? this would be really great to know as that amature film maker is me

• graemeallangraemeallan Website User Posts: 7
    edited June 2016

Kenan Proffitt on youtube has recently done some web-slinging using Blender. 

It should be possible to do something similar in Hitfilm in 2D using the Lightning & Electricity effect with some tweaking of the presets.

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

If you want practical:

1. Run a piece of rope down your sleeve and past the wrist
    2. Tape it to whatever you want to stick to with the web
    3. Have someone pull the rope back without moving the object its taped to
    4. Now place the footage in reverse
    5. It'll appear the web is shooting out from you wrist and hitting the object
    6. Mask the rope at the wrist so it comes "out of the skin" not out of the sleeve

The key with this is framing and added/mixing good foley sounds in post. It will look cheesey if you don't frame and add good sounds.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

I'm guessing you've never actually tried this, because at the sort of speed you'd want to do this to look even half realistic: rope burn. :)

edited June 2016

@Palacono No, I've seen it done before. It's the most effective practical effecsts, you just need to pull it hard enough that the "Web shot" travels straight without 'wobbling.'

If you're concerned with rope burn wear a second long sleeve under it and run the rope between the layers.

Next time, @ me so I can address questions better haha

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Palacono  I'm almost afraid to ask but when you talk about rope burn is it in the voice of experience?

edited June 2016

@Aladdin4d you're only almost afraid? But...clearly not completely. ;)

Sorry, only fairly mundane experience. Having slid down ropes too fast in gym class at school, I learnt pretty early on that it'll take a layer of skin off in an eyeblink. Swinging on ropes over rivers, from trees, all sorts of ways to get caught unawares if you let go at slightly the wrong time.

@TriFlixFilms, no need to @ everyone all the time, if they're interested in a thread, they'll come back. You did. ;)

If you think I'm just being overly "concerned", film yourself with a friend pulling a small rope "hard enough that the "Web shot" travels straight without 'wobbling.'" without a second long sleeve under it and show us the results. Also with one, if you like. Spiderman dressed for the Arctic?

The word "just" is a bit like that other really big word..."if". :)

Even smooth, nylon string will still create quite bit of heat from friction, as well as acting like a cheese cutting wire on vulnerable parts of your body.

Best of luck. :D

@Palacono Challenge accepted haha  guess my next video will be spooderman themed :) 

I accept no responsibility for any body parts you guillotine off.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,315 Ambassador

Get a bit of rubber tubing a bit wider  than your string/twine/rope (I think twine.), and cut to length to make a safety channel. Boom. Cheap arm protection. Strap, tie, tape it to the forearm. 

Do this as fairly close up. You can get a good shot with only a foot of space in front of the wrist. 

Undercrank a bit. This is setting your framerate in camera to optimize fast motion. Film cameras and some video cameras have tons of different fps. Dslr's and most lower-end pro/prosumer cams are limited. 

There's just a bit of maths in figuring out what your camera can shot. As an example, if my film is in 24p, but I shoot at 30p I can slow that footage down to 80% and get a subtle, but perfectly smooth slow motion, or speed it up to 160% for a perfectly smooth fast motion. I don't think I am explaining this well right now. 

edited June 2016

I'd do it in two goes with a locked-off camera. One shot standing with your arm 'slinging web' at the thing you're going to hit with it, then another shot of someone pulling the string through something attached to where you were standing so it passes through where the hand ended up. No Actor in that shot.

Then comp the two together with the first played forwards and the actor's hand masked and cut out to be over the second shot played backwards.

You get a convincing 'played forwards' Kerpow! shot of the arm flying out followed by the resulting reversed shot of the web apparently hitting the target. No costume required, could go Toby Maguire 'web glands' on bare arms, rather than Andrew Garfield techno-stylee.