too slow to edit

Hi
Whenever I work on a project; the program tends to not respond in the later time periods(10 mins or more) I was able to get most of Mr. Rody's tut-light streaks off without a box of not responding to a point of closing down the program. I have a XPS 8300 w/ the latest drivers.
Pls help.
aka Jesi

Comments

• kHusKeekHusKee Website User Posts: 8
    It might be your processor, hitfilm is very processor heavy. Do CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up task manager and switch to the performance tab when you are running hitfilm and if the CPU usage fills up, you know it is your processor.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited August 2012
    Actually, HitFilm uses your GPU for most of the heavy lifting.
  • Eflat ProductionsEflat Productions Website User Posts: 163
    The other thing to take into account, is the size of the file you are editing. I have learned this the hard way, an intermediate codec can make all the difference. I have a Hex-core machine, and a 580 w/3gig of mem. I was using AVI uncompressed to edit a five min video in 1080P. So I am editing with a file that is at least 50gigs or bigger, and it would just bring everything to a screeching halt, once I put more than three layers in a composite shot. Once I started using a codec that was more conducive, the file I was editing was a little over a gig, and in the end I had over 20 layers in my final composite shot, and very little lag. Of course I OC'd the 580 to 940GHz/2100GHz/1125mV, and kept a close eye on the heat, but she never got past 70c, and the program ran like a charm.
  • AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,436 Staff

The other thing to take into account, is the size of the file you are editing. I have learned this the hard way, an intermediate codec can make all the difference. I have a Hex-core machine, and a 580 w/3gig of mem. I was using AVI uncompressed to edit a five min video in 1080P. So I am editing with a file that is at least 50gigs or bigger, and it would just bring everything to a screeching halt, once I put more than three layers in a composite shot. Once I started using a codec that was more conducive, the file I was editing was a little over a gig, and in the end I had over 20 layers in my final composite shot, and very little lag. Of course I OC'd the 580 to 940GHz/2100GHz/1125mV, and kept a close eye on the heat, but she never got past 70c, and the program ran like a charm.
    Sound advice, trying to edit an Uncompressed .AVI of 50GB is going to bring most if not all machines to a halt. Converting the footage into a more workable format is the way forward.

Hi
    Whenever I work on a project; the program tends to not respond in the later time periods(10 mins or more) I was able to get most of Mr. Rody's tut-light streaks off without a box of not responding to a point of closing down the program. I have a XPS 8300 w/ the latest drivers.
    Pls help.
    aka Jesi
    Hi Jesi,
    You don't actually specify what graphics card is present in your machine? And unfortunately the Dell website doesn't specify either. So if you let me know I may be able to help you further, but without this information it's impossible to offer advice.
    Thanks
    Ady