Frustrating Render behavior

ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136
Hello,
I've finally got a chunk of spare time, so I've been catching up on some HF projects I've wanted top play with for awhile. I spent the last two days doing effects work for these clips, and it finally came time for me to export the footage so I could edit it in Vegas. Except- now when I export, the progress bar starts wigging out right around the 1/3rd to 1/4th mark. It's weird, but it really seems almost like its realative- it did the same thing for the whole several minute render, and even for a 10 second render. For some reason, I've been able to render two comps from this project which have lightsabers in them, but nothing else. It plays fine in HF, but rendering it stalls- I finally quit the process after 20 minutes of seeing no progress- just the elapsed time and the estimated time fighting it out.
Last night I downloaded a new k-lite codec pack and VLC (in attempts to preview my new Action Essentials II). I suspected these might have been the culprit but I have uninstalled and restarted. I also paused Avast anti virus and updated my graphics drivers. I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone else experience an issue like this before?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    What format are you trying to render to? Can you elaborate on the phrase "wigging out"? What does the progress bar do, exactly?
  • ZedFableZedFable Website User Posts: 136
    Heh, sorry Axel- I think my render funk affected my writing. And proof reading.
    To be more precise the progress bar just about stops. It moves at a reasonable pace at first, but around half way, it starts to slow its progress. The progress bar continues to get slower until there is about 1/3rd to 1/4th left for it to go, at which point it seems to stop, or move so imperceptibly that even leaving it on for 30 minutes it doesn't seem to give. During this, the elapsed time and estimated time continue to update, so its not like HF is locked up proper. I can even hit cancel and HF gladly comes back for me to work with it some more.
    I tried a few things since this post- I found that I could render any other previous video project I had, and I found that it appears I had the wrong export area set up in the render? I believe it was set to content area or entire timeline. I changed it to work area and I was able to render several of the shots out, all the way until I get to the penultimate shot. From this I surmised that something in that particular shot was choking it. I haven't figured out why that is yet, but I got all the other footage and then came back to it. I was able to export that 26 second shot out in AVI after about 20 minutes of rendering. It's something ridiculous like 3.7GBs, but its high enough quality that I should be able to transcode it from there to something more manageable. So- I believe that I have wiggled my way out of this problem for now. When I've had some more sleep and cooled down a bit I might look into what the heck was wrong with that 26 second shot. If I do, I'll be sure to post it here!
    Things seem to work out for me in that way- I will try to resolve something for hours on end, then when I finally brake down and ask for help I fix it and come off as though I hadn't troubleshooted enough on my own and jumped the gun. *sigh* So, sorry about that. But thanks for your reply Axel, prompt as always!
    Goodnight for now,
    Zed Fable
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Aw, well glad you got it mostly working anyway.
    With regard to the problematic 26 seconds, Is navigation around that particular timeline slow? If you click into that last 1/4 of the timeline, for example, does it take a long time for the Viewer to update and redraw? If things are relatively complex, with lots of particles and motion blur and multiple layers and stuff, then its possible that it could just be rendering very slowly. A fun example I like to point to is the film Hollow Man, where there were scenes of animation that took 24 hours per frame to render, even with an entire render farm of networked computers working on it. So maybe its just a complex scene that takes some time to render, but if not, it would be good to get to the bottom of what is going on, so do please keep us informed if you figure anything else out.