Fake volumetric light

SimonKJonesSimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
Was having a little play around earlier today and came up with this:

The way it's set up I can move the 3D light around and the 'volumetric' light shafts move with it. Particularly nice as the objects go into shadow.

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited August 2012
    Tutorial?
    Tried to replicate this but am stuck somewhere in the middle... I guess you used light flares and the gleam effect parented to the light, right? But I'm somehow unable to turn the gleam to block the light instead of seeming to be shining...
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,232 Staff
    At a guess, try using Light Rays instead of Gleam. Nice one Simon, the illusion is pretty convincing there.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Tried that first, but that only produces rays from the pixels directly at the position of the effect, which does not give the desired effect.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yep, it's light rays. I used a duplicate of the comp as the source for a 'Set matte' effect on a plane, using alpha as the matte channel. This gave me a black and white matte of the rotating cube.
    I then applied the light rays effect to the plane, and linked the light rays effect to the same 3D point as the actual light. I could then move the 3D point and the scene updates correctly.
  • duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast
    This is way way cool.
    But, would want to add different stills or vid clips to each of the cube sides/faces.
    Possible???
    Duff
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yup, easy. I used 6 plane layers, but you could just as easily use 6 video or image layers to do the same thing.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
  • TheRealJayWalkerTheRealJayWalker Website User Posts: 219
    edited September 2012
    I'd love to see a tutorial on this as well.
    Go on Simon you know you want to..!
    edited November 2012

Yep, it's light rays. I used a duplicate of the comp as the source for a 'Set matte' effect on a plane, using alpha as the matte channel. This gave me a black and white matte of the rotating cube.
    I then applied the light rays effect to the plane, and linked the light rays effect to the same 3D point as the actual light. I could then move the 3D point and the scene updates correctly.
    I am really interested in creating the fake volumetric light effect in a shot I'm about to do. I tried to recreate it from the limited instructions in Simons post but, I couldn't reproduce it. I realize you guys probably haven't gotten around to a video tutorial for this yet since you've been so busy with HF2's release so, would it be possible to get more detailed written instructions in this thread? I almost get it...
    edited November 2012
    Hey Null Unit. I've attached an example project file to this post which should get you started. It includes a basic camera move to show the effect in action.
    Notes:
    - The light flare, 3D light and light rays are all parented to the 'Light animator' point. So if you want to move the lighting, make sure you move that point rather than any of the individual pieces. Moving the Light animator will ensure that the real 3D lighting matches the light rays and light flare realistically.
    - The Background flare layer is placed behind the text, to give a silhouetted appearance. The flare is always behind the text, so this won't look right if you use a flare with lots of artefacts.
    - The Light Rays grade layer contains the volumetric effect itself. There's various ways you can do this. I've gone for a really simple example here which works nicely, but for more complicated scenes you might have to try more complex approaches (for example using a simple grade layer like this isn't going to work so well if your text is brightly lit, or if you have a lot of colour in your scene).
    Hopefully this'll help you get up and running!
  • patrickpatrick Website User Posts: 51
    Hi Simon K Jones
    thanks for posting the project file :)
    i downloaded it but when i want to open it in HitFilm Ultimate 2, a message pops up saying that i need a newer version of HitFilm Ultimate (i update Hitfilm Ultimate some days ago ... so i should be up to date).
    could it be that you are using a newer development version of HitFilm ?
    Greetings Patrick
    edited November 2012
    Doh. Yes, I am indeed (testing out a couple of tweaks/fixes which should come along pretty soon). Let me see if I can fix that without you having to wait for the official release... :P
    Edit: OK, project file should now work. Sorry about that. :)
  • patrickpatrick Website User Posts: 51
    Hi Simon K Jones
    now i am able to open the file .... nice work and thank you very much !
    Greetings Patrick
    Thanks! I partially cracked it last night when I realized that the plane that has the set matte effect needs to be white. I had been making a black one. I'm going to check out that project file tonight to see all the details...
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Thanks Simon! I have been tinkering with something similar, but didn't get anywhere close to this (was trying to use smoke to get the effect). Downloaded your project, works great!
    Richard.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Switch to 720 or 1080. Still some banding, but hey, it's youtube :)
    Null - yeah, that project file doesn't use the set matte technique as it's a very simple example. If you're doing a more complex scene you need to get into fancier techniques, otherwise you'll start getting light rays off other stuff that you don't want.
    As a special weekend bonus treat, here's a rapid fire mini tutorial on this technique, in which I speak at ridiculo-speed:
    edited December 2012
    Take this with a grain of salt, but:
    When I did this with the set matte effect on a plane behind a 3d model the light rays only went around the outside of the model. They didnt come through open parts in the middle of the model the way they do in this example with the text. This may be because I wasnt doing it quite right? Or is this a product of this method?
    Awesome tutorial, though. I'm going to try out this new method as well.
    I tried out the tutorial and it worked great! Just a couple of questions:
    When you add blur to the grade to soften the light rays isn't that also blurring everything under the grade? Or does this have something to do with why you put the light rays blend on "none" while putting the layer properties on "screen"? If not, then what was the reason for doing it that way?
  • ThelurkerishThelurkerish Website User Posts: 141
    Very interesting technique haven't got my head around the advanced version with mattes but I made this with the basic version and I'm quite pleased with it
    Here is the shot I was working on. Its my logo that I'll put at the end of my videos. I used a 3d model for the film reel, the "fake volumetric light' effect, 3d extrusion on the text, fluffy cloud effect around the text & lens dirt effect.
    Awesome! Really like that ident, Null Unit. Very classy. Although it feels like it should maybe resolve to a non-animated, simpler version before disappearing. A bit like how idents at the start of movies might have a fancy animated intro, then resolve to a simple two-tone silhouette version.
    Glad the tutorial was useful - I'm thinking that particular super-fast style might be good for doing a series of quick tutes for advanced users.
    The blur doesn't affect the layers beneath, due to the 'none' trick with the light rays. This was actually something I only discovered while making the tutorial. Previously I've always done light rays on a plane, which is why I used Set Matte etc, so that I could work on the light rays without affecting the layers beneath. However, using light rays set to 'none' does a nice trick, in that the light rays uses the layers beneath as the source, without directly affecting them.
  • duffmanduffman Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 235 Enthusiast
    edited December 2012
    My stab at it:

Awesome! Really like that ident, Null Unit. Very classy. Although it feels like it should maybe resolve to a non-animated, simpler version before disappearing. A bit like how idents at the start of movies might have a fancy animated intro, then resolve to a simple two-tone silhouette version.
    Glad the tutorial was useful - I'm thinking that particular super-fast style might be good for doing a series of quick tutes for advanced users.
    The blur doesn't affect the layers beneath, due to the 'none' trick with the light rays. This was actually something I only discovered while making the tutorial. Previously I've always done light rays on a plane, which is why I used Set Matte etc, so that I could work on the light rays without affecting the layers beneath. However, using light rays set to 'none' does a nice trick, in that the light rays uses the layers beneath as the source, without directly affecting them.
    Thanks! I'll try out the idea of resolving the logo into a simple non-animated version.
    I definitely like the idea of quick, advanced tutorials.
    edited December 2012
    *edit* weird double post.
  • MarcDracoMarcDraco Website User Posts: 37
    edited March 2014

Was having a little play around earlier today and came up with this:
    !

The way it's set up I can move the 3D light around and the 'volumetric' light shafts move with it. Particularly nice as the objects go into shadow.
    Simon K Jones is: Machine-gun Teacher