Questions Regarding My T3i

Hi all,
I have a question regarding My canon t3i camera. Lets say I'm inside, and I want the depth of field to be less shallow, so more objects in the shot are in focus. I set my aperture to have a smaller opening. My settings are aperture of 7.5, shutter speed of about 30, the iso 200. I have windows open, two 600 watt florescent bulbs on. with some other lightning. Even with all this lighting, the video is so dark. I wanted to aperture to about 15, but I cant achieve that inside, because the video turns out to be black. Is there something wrong with my camera? On auto exposure, it sets the aperture as low as possible, to 4.8, the shutter speed to 40, and the iso to 1600???. I don't understand, with all that light in the room, why would it need iso of 1600? I should think all i need is a iso of 200-400. If I'm trying to record green-screen footage inside, I leave the aperture at 4.8, boost shutter speed to 120, and the iso must be set to 3200 or else the video is very dark. Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the camera?
Thanks
DC

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    edited July 2012
    Well, the simple answer is: there isn't as much light as you think. No matter how much light you think you need, you can trust the light meter built into your camera to tell you when you have enough. Also, as a rule, your shutter speed should always be double your framerate when shooting video, so if you are shooting 30 fps, then use 1/60th shutter. If you are shooting 24 fps, use 1/50th. If you want the images to look similar to what you are used to seeing on film, that is. Also, avoid using auto exposure for video if you can help it, as the results won't be consistent.
    Video is more forgiving than film, in terms of how much light you need, but you'll never see an interior film set with 1200 wats of light. If your budget is tight, you might want to consider picking up some cheap halogen work lights as an affordable way to get more light into the set. If you can afford it, then go for some proper video lights.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    One thing you didn't mention in your post is what lens you're using. It could be that you're simply using a lens that isn't very fast, and are losing light that way. A faster lens would possibly alleviate the lighting issues you're having.