Brushes with fame

duffman
duffman Posts: 235 Enthusiast
Anyone ever have a brush with fame, such as being in a major motion picture, have a song on the radio, know somebody that knows somebody that might have?
For 20 years I worked designing custom electronic controls for prosthetic devices at a well known Chicago Rehabilitation Institute. While there I made the arm for the Fugitive. Yes I met Harrison Ford, worked with Andreas Katsulas for his fitting. Was and extra in a hospital scene. I even made a custom graphic that was used in the film. When Harrison opens the Encyclodedia of Prosthetics it is my graphic he is looking at.
Not long after that the place from which I earned my first degree contacted me. They made a TV commercial about me which was shown nation wide here in the states.....Really freaky seenin yourself on TV the first time.
Because the place I worked was a well known institute and what I was doing at the time was considered "high tech cutting edge" I got to meet a ton of famous or fairly famous people. Eric Clapton, George Peppard, Micheal Jordan, and Mr T to name a few.
Care to share your brush with fame?
Duff

Comments

• Pzue
    Pzue Posts: 40
    I was on Bamzooki once... :P
  • Froi
    Froi Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    I LOVED BAMZOOKI! It was awesome!I wanted to go on there, but i never really got a grip of how to build the things haha.
    @duffman , IS there the advert on youtube i'd love to see it :D also that must been pretty awesome meeting those people and making movie props, etc. ;)
    I myself have not really had any "brushes with fame", but i have helped BTS in a feature film, possibly going into UK cinemas. But i can't say anything more about that :( . But i am planning to go a couple of film studios in the summer for work experience, so maybe i will see some people on my journeys, lol.
    But i did meet Peter Pedrero, a stunt man of Quantum of Solace, The Bourne films, and i think harry potter and sherlock Holmes, etc, He was pretty cool.But he did stab me with a knife, a retractable rubber movie prop one! haha :D .
    And that is it for famous people i have met, at least i think it is.
    Peter on IMDB:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0670092/
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    You met Andreas Katsulas? Awesome! I absolutely love his work on Babylon 5.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    While I haven't been in any movie productions, I have had a chance to meet quite a few 'celebrities.' Most are from the scifi/fantasy/horror realm as I've attended several scifi conventions, but I don't count those who I only sat in an audience and listened to. Here is a list of those that come to mind...
    Richard Simmons (Fitness "thing")
    Mark Eaton (former center for the Utah Jazz)
    Steve Young (quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers)
    Tim Russ ('Tuvok' on Star Trek Voyager. Really nice guy!!!)
    John De Lancie ('Q' on Star Trek)
    Frank Gorshin ('Riddler' on the old Batman Series, Star Trek TOS)
    Gunnar Hanson ('Leatherface' from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Another really nice guy, and a good artist)
    George Takei ('Sulu')
    James Doohan ('Scotty')
    LeVar Burton ('Geordie LaForge' on Star Trek TNG)
    Nana Visitor ('Major Kira' Star Trek DS9)
    Alexander Siddig ('Dr.Bashir' Star Trek DS9)
    Anthony Daniels ('C3P0')
    Peter Mayhew ('Chewbacca')
    Mike Lookinland ('Bobby Brady')
    Todd Bridges ('Willis' from Different Strokes. "Wha'chu talkin' about, Willis!")
    Don Shanks ('Nakoma from the Grizzley Adams TV show. Also played 'Michael Meyers' in Halloween 5)
    Ted White ('Jason' from Friday the 13th)
    I have to say, with only a couple of exceptions, these people have been very approachable and not only share their experiences, but will listen to fan stories. The stuntmen in particular were very friendly.
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Posts: 369
    I got to party at George Wendt's house. I went to school with his nephew. Mr Wendt has a vacation home here in Michigan where he often stays during the summer. In a round about way through friends of friends of his nephew, I ended up at a party at his house. It was a wild experience. No one can drink beer like Mr Wendt. We were introduced, we said hi, and that was about it. I barely got to see Mr Wendt at all. There were hundreds of people there, so it really wasn't like you could sit down and chat with anyone for very long.
    Don Johnson used to vacation here as well. For a number of years he was here every summer, he had his boat on the lake and I guess he entered some amateur boat races. This was a couple years after Miami Vice got cancelled.
    Ted Nugent has been through town a few times. Everyone knows Ted is an avid hunter and when ever he is in the area he usually stops by a local sporting good shop for an impromptu meet and greet. He is a heck of a nice guy and treats everyone like you were a life long friend.
    Probably the weirdest experience I ever saw was one summer when i was maybe 13 or 14, i saw a bunch of guys dressed like rock stars at a little ice cream shop in my sleepy little home town. One of them turned around and my first thought was OMG Its Blackie Lawless of WASP !!! He's eating an ice cream cone !!!. Then I thought noooooo way, there is no way WASP is going to be in our little po-dunk town. That night on the news they were talking about a concert that was in a town about 25 miles away. WASP was one of the bands performing there that evening. Sooooo maybe it really was WASP, they sure looked like WASP but it was certainly a weird thing to see in a small town.
  • Pzue
    Pzue Posts: 40

I LOVED BAMZOOKI! It was awesome!I wanted to go on there, but i never really got a grip of how to build the things haha.
    Haha yeah it was awesome but the series I was in wasn't as good - still cool though and I got to meet Helen Skelton and the new blue peter dog while we were there :))
  • SimonKJones
    The stuntmen in particular were very friendly.
    Stuntmen (and pyro/practical effects guys) in general do always seem very pleasant and friendly. Maybe it's because they don't need to prove anything as they jump off buildings and flip cars for a living. :P Adam Kirley, who we've worked with on a couple of projects, is one of the nicest guys I've met. There was a strange point a few years back when I was directing him in an FXhome promo project when just previously he'd been directed by Steven Spielberg and had been chatting with James Cameron.
    I felt a bit of pressure that day.

• Probably the weirdest experience I ever saw was one summer when i was maybe 13 or 14, i saw a bunch of guys dressed like rock stars at a little ice cream shop in my sleepy little home town. One of them turned around and my first thought was OMG Its Blackie Lawless of WASP !!! He's eating an ice cream cone !!!. Then I thought noooooo way, there is no way WASP is going to be in our little po-dunk town. That night on the news they were talking about a concert that was in a town about 25 miles away. WASP was one of the bands performing there that evening. Sooooo maybe it really was WASP, they sure looked like WASP but it was certainly a weird thing to see in a small town.
    Pretty cool man, I love a bit of WASP, although I doubt many other members here will know who they are - I might have to try grab a ticket to their Norwich show in September if theres any left!
    Personally I haven't had any brushes with the famous and I'm more of the type who would leave them be out of courtesy or just quickly greet and allow them to move on.
  • DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Posts: 1,018 Just Starting Out
    My personal brush with fame occurred in a tube station in London, where I accidentally shoulder-barged Jeremy Paxman.
  • SimonKJones
    'Accidentally'.
  • duffman
    duffman Posts: 235 Enthusiast
    This has been fun. I love reading about everyones experiences. Bamzooki? That used to air here years ago. At the time it was one of my wifes faves...
    Last one I'll talk about:
    Anyone here know who Alex Ross the graphic novel illustrator is?
    Alex would roady for my band the original/cover band DUFF around the Chicago area
    because his then girlfriend-now wife, TJ was our bass player.

Duff
  • mercianfilm
    mercianfilm Posts: 161
    Apart from seeing Daniel radcliffe with his tallywacker out in Equus a few years ago (Richard griffiths was also in it and was brilliant!) and Robert kilroy silk i've not had many brushes with fame.
    It's weird how certain jobs you wouldn't expect to meet many famous people but my uncle works for a water distributing company ( he owns a hosepipe :D ) and he's been all over the country- in the olympic stadiums, meeting arsene wenger and all these famous people. It's pretty cool.
    It's a bizarre feeling seeing someone you've seen on tv and films and stuff- it was even more bizarre the other month when i went to London and saw all the usual sights-Big ben, buckingham palace and Tower bridge- it's very surreal seeing them 'in the flesh'.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    A long time ago I was a valet car parker at a restaurant in San Francisco owned by Don Johnson (Miami Vice) and Cheech Marin (Cheech and Chong). I had brushes with them, both nice guys, but Cheech and his wife were really cool. Other celebs came in randomly: The Matrix 2 & 3 were being filmed in Oakland and Carrie Ann Moss came in with her stunt double for dinner. They looked like twins and Moss had a company car with a keychain that said "Trinity" on it. Tony Bennett & George Lucas also came in as well (not together). The best though, was when Dennis Murin came in and I said, "Good evening, I really love your work!". He looked at me with shock and surprise that I had recognized him and then he smiled and said, "thanks!".
  • Eflat Productions
    Eflat Productions Posts: 163
    edited July 2012
    Well let see, My Grandfather was a cowboy singer, and had a radio show in Memphis. A historical marker was just put up for my Grandfather in Memphis Tenn., because he had a stage show called, "Saturday Night Jamboree - Memphis". It was on that stage that,"Rockabilly" was performed life for the first time, and my Grandfather is in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.

www.rockabillyhall.com/satnightjamboree.html
    He also gave some guy with the initials, "EP" one of his first breaks in Memphis, but I don't think he ever went anywhere. lol
    This is for the old timers out there, but Sonny James held my Mom when she was a baby.
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff
    Outside of the Steampunk sub-culture, Abney Park isn't that well known, I imagine, but they are probably the biggest steampunk band out there right now. Their female vocalist, Jody Ellen, is currently working on a solo album, and I'm recording the drums for it.
    Back when I was doing concrete for a living, I worked on Jan Romijn's house. His daughter Rebecca never showed up though.
    I've worked on several projects with Jon Bailey, a voiceover actor who did the voice recordings for some Star Wars figures with voice chips, and loads of trailers and commercials. He did the voice of Chris Hemsworth on a couple of the trailers for Show White and the Huntsman, as it was cheaper to hire him than to hire Chris back for the day.
    @duffman - Alex Ross is great. His watercolor-y style isn't my favorite for most comics stuff, but he is a fantastic artist.
    Also, once I was at the Norwich airport and ran into Joshua Davies.