The Dark Knight Rises

iso
iso Posts: 44
I went and saw Batman at midnight with my friends... IT WAS THE MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER!! i loved the movie it followed the storyline perfectly and everything about it was just awesome and amazing. What were your views and opinions on the new Batman movie? Did you guys like it?

Comments

• guitar74
    guitar74 Posts: 506
    This is not a view of the movie, but a tragic thing that happen in denver CO, aurora
    For those people that dont know, In the USA, In Denver Colorado, aurora. A 24 year old kid, kick the door in the the fire exit when the new batman movie started, released a smoke bomb or tear gas, and opened up fire and killed 15 people so far and 50 injured. Among the people that were shot and passed was a 1 year old baby dying in her mothers arms, just watching the news and reporting to the people here! Sad day that you can't go to a movie and stuff likes this happen!
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    I'm off to see it this afternoon, having re-watched Batman Begins and TDK earlier in the week. I don't think I've been this excited since Return of the King. :)
  • Froi
    Froi Posts: 966
    edited July 2012

I'm off to see it this afternoon, having re-watched Batman Begins and TDK earlier in the week. I don't think I've been this excited since Return of the King. :)
    Is this the cinemas premiere of it Simon?
    Where are you going to see it?
    I want to go and see it, but i'm not a huge fan of the cinema, also i may go when lots of people have seen it, so it is not too busy haha. I am not a fan of busy cinemas, especially when you get those people who rustle bags of sweets when the quiet part of the movie comes on, it is very distracting lol.
    That is why i prefer my own home cinema, especially because i can pause, and rewind, the film encase i want to go to the loo or get some food :D .
    But this is a film that seems so awesome i may go to the cinema to watch it! :D
    Just watched an episode of film riot, scrolled down into the comments and there was a SPOILER for TDKR!!! ARGH!! i just hope that it is not true :(
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I was totally disappointed by this movie... The story just didn't hold up for me. I feel this franchise could have had a much better ending, and to be honest, I probably will just try to forget that this movie is even related to the others.
  • Froi

I was totally disappointed by this movie... The story just didn't hold up for me. I feel this franchise could have had a much better ending, and to be honest, I probably will just try to forget that this movie is even related to the others.
    anything in particular that you thought let it down?
  • iso
    omg i heard about that shooting in colorado... who does that?!?! I feel so bad for all the people that were killed and injured and their family members. This is so sad that this would happen at a movie theater. I'm just curious what his motive was for shooting people at a midnight release at a theater.
  • Froi

I'm just curious what his motive was for shooting people at a midnight release at a theater.
    There are many things that could trigger such a horrible event, mainly physiological things, or things that are much worse. But I really hope that they find out why this happened, so we can prevent any other thing like this from happening again. I also heard on the news that they may change some of the gun laws in the country or state to try to prevent these things from happening.
    I just hope all those in hospital, from the incident, get better and don't suffer form any long term injuries, and my thoughts go out to those effeced, physically and mentally, to the incident.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    I liked the movie. I think you lose something because there is no Wow factor over TDK
  • iso
    Well about the shooting movie theaters are probably going to have some better security and they will do something about dressing up for midnight showings. Like probably searching people which will suck if you sneak food and drinks in the theater.
  • ESPictures
    ESPictures Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    I think banning prop/replica weapons in theaters is a sensible idea, but not banning costumes entirely. Apparently, the guy kicked in the fire exit door, so it's not like he went through the lobby anyway. Horrible and senseless.
  • iso
    yea i can understand fake weapons but even if people dress up they can hide weapons so if they still do allow dressing up they are probably going to have to search you. Which also sucks because then u can't sneak in drinks and food that you want.

• I also heard on the news that they may change some of the gun laws in the country or state to try to prevent these things from happening.
    Oh, finally America realize. I can just imagine at a conference:
    American: So, you think that we have too much to do with guns in this country?
    American 2: I've never really realized.
    Non- American: *facepalm*
    Not to be stereotypical or anything. :-?
  • MatthiasClaflin
    You do realize that this guy didn't come in through the lobby so costumes/prop weapons didn't play any role in the shooting right?
  • guitar74
    I saw the New batman movie and the 2nd movie was a 1000 times better!
  • iso
    yea people have been telling me that Dark Knight is better than the Dark Knight Rises. So i'm gonna ask you guys which is better. The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises?
  • Froi
    I have heard alot saying that TDK is better, but I haven't seen it yet so I won't judge. But I also know people who say that TDKR is much better!
  • SimonKJones
    edited July 2012
    I really, really liked TDKR, but for me it's by far the weakest of the trilogy. Of course, a sub-par Christopher Nolan film is worth 1000 Michael Bay movies, so it was still a fantastic experience. But it's definitely lacking the finesse and puzzle-like satisfaction of the previous two and his other work.
    Story-wise it is very satisfying. Plot-wise, it's very messy.
    Edit: Also, the faux-IMAX viewing experience here in Norwich was horrendous. Nice screen, but stupidly large for people sitting near the front, and the sound was the worst I've heard in a cinema for many, many years. Maybe it was just my ears, but it was ridiculously over-loud to the point where all the sound just mashed together into noise. Not impressed.
  • Froi

I really, really liked TDKR, but for me it's by far the weakest of the trilogy. Of course, a sub-par Christopher Nolan film is worth 1000 Michael Bay movies, so it was still a fantastic experience. But it's definitely lacking the finesse and puzzle-like satisfaction of the previous two and his other work.
    Story-wise it is very satisfying. Plot-wise, it's very messy.
    so the special and visual effects are all good, and the directing and camera work good, and just the story that lets it down?
  • MatthiasClaflin

so the special and visual effects are all good, and the directing and camera work good, and just the story that lets it down?
    That pretty much sums up my opinion
  • SimonKJones
    Yes, and even then the story itself is pretty good. It's the individual plot beats that don't quite slot together as efficiently as in TDK. It's not bad by any means, it's just slightly looser and more blockbustery.
  • PLANB
    PLANB Posts: 105
    It feels strange how all the 4 years of hype since the first cut to black in TDK could end in the 2 hours and 45 minutes that went by very quickly! However, the more you see the film the slower it seems and the more you can understand and let things sink in properly :D In my opinion this is a top film! This is the only film I CHOSE to see this year.
    Nolan nailed it :D
  • RodyPolis
    RodyPolis Posts: 612 Just Starting Out*
    Saw it a second time and all I can say is AMAZING! A great conclusion if you ask me, and definitely not the worst of the series. I really needed to see this twice, cause only on the second time that I could notice all the little details that make Christopher Nolan a genius.
    Definite 9/10. Can't wait to get the blu ray!
  • MasterPie
    MasterPie Posts: 4
    Phew, finally remembered my email address and password after getting locked out of the site a couple times trying various combinations and failing at annoying recaptchas...

Yes, and even then the story itself is pretty good. It's the individual plot beats that don't quite slot together as efficiently as in TDK. It's not bad by any means, it's just slightly looser and more blockbustery.
    I only watched it once in IMAX and it was very loose with a lot of things happening. But the film suddenly cleared up at the point right in the last act when Batman finally rises. I figured it was symbolic of the conflict within Wayne: initially confused, without any clear goal or direction, but then finally acting with a strong resolve towards the end.
    I also had a hard time hearing Bane because of IMAX sound quality. There was too much bass, so his voice was muddled at times. I need to watch the movie again in a regular theater.
  • MatthiasClaflin
    edited July 2012
    Two questions have puzzled me since watching the movie.
    EDIT: I had to add a few more.
    Can someone tell me, if the bomb had a blast radius of 6 miles, how did Wayne escape?
    What about Nuclear fall out? Wouldn't Gotham still be plagued with radiation related issues for the next couple decades?
    If Bruce really had no cartilage in his knees, how did he make the jump?
    If he really got dropped onto Bane's knee the way he did, how was he able to make the jump?
  • I thought the movie was brilliant overall. It was a man's fight to perservere and do what was necessary to save the city he called his own. The only general think I disliked was the way the plot progressed. By that, I mean the mood. Alright, Catwoman's gonna help me find this guy. Dang, it's a trap. No biggie, I'll just beat the crap out of this guy. Wait, no, he freakin broke my spine. Okay, know I'm in this hopeless place while my city falls apart. Yay, I got out, but a lot of people are still dying. (Alright, don't get me wrong on this part, I thought the last battle was totally epic!) Sweet, I finally beat this guy because I found his one weakness, even though I didn't really know what I was doing to start with. Alright Bane, who's the-oh, got stabbed. Alright, got rescued, now I can save the city. That is, after I die. THE END. See what I mean? I kinda like those movies like the Avengers where there are moments like, "YEAH AWESOME GOOD GUYS ARE WINNING". THe last battle is really the only time you feel that, so I may join the others in saying Dark Night, Dark Knight Rises, then Batman Begins.
  • guitar74
    I have to ask, when batman is first fighting bane in the sewers, who was the guy dressed in white above them, like in the first few trailers?
  • SimonKJones

Can someone tell me, if the bomb had a blast radius of 6 miles, how did Wayne escape?
    Theoretically I suppose he could have dropped the bomb and legged it. Even if you're inside a blast radius is there a chance of surviving if you're protected enough? The Bat is pretty well shielded, if he was able to put some distance.
    [quote]What about Nuclear fall out? Wouldn't Gotham still be plagued with radiation related issues for the next couple decades?[/quote]
    As I understand it, most nukes explode quite high in the atmosphere (eg Hiroshima), so that the fallout that falls from a great height. The Gotham nuke went off very low over the sea, so might be different. Plus, I'm not sure whether a fusion bomb would have different radiation effects than a fission bomb?
    [quote]If Bruce really had no cartilage in his knees, how did he make the jump?[/quote]
    They forgot about that particular issue. Seems like a genuine plot hole to me.
  • PLANB
    PLANB Posts: 105

He was THE BATMAN! :D
  • MasterPie
    MasterPie Posts: 4

I actually figured most of Wayne's triumphs over his bodily injuries were due to his character...a guy who's been fighting on will power and soul and not with his body, as his fight with Bane proved. Which was also why Bane was a great foe, for he too wasn't minding his body so much since amnesia constantly flowed through him. The leap was just the last piece of the puzzle of his mind - he had forgotten the will to live, and remembering that alone made him strong enough to make the leap. Batman is truly an insane character.
  • SimonKJones
    MasterPie - I think my favourite aspect of the Nolan films is that they specifically portray Wayne as somebody with fairly serious mental health issues stemming from his childhood trauma. It's not simply a revenge/justice thing for him - it's a reaction to that permanent mental injury. This is particularly evident in TDKR, where he's withdrawn completely without the Batman persona and it takes The Pit to remind him of the point of being alive.
    For all its plot flaws, I did really love the character arc they gave to Wayne in TDKR - and over the trilogy as a whole. It's that character arc that makes his retiring from being Batman at the start and end of TDKR make sense. Being Batman is the healing process that lets him, eventually, by the end of TDKR, be a healed Bruce Wayne. It's an aspect that a lot of die-hard Batman fans haven't liked ("Batman would never quit!"), but it's specifically what makes this telling of his story so fascinating.