Exercise breaks?

Froi
Froi Posts: 966
Okay, I know making and editing films can take a very long time, and this is the problem.
I have noticed that many film makers (professionals, and youtubers), no offence, have a bit of a "beer" belly.
I have also been editing for a few weeks now, with little exercise, I haven't had the time to go out and play footy, or tennis, etc (and as I am in year 11, my exams finished so I have no school, therefore no games lessons to keep me fit.), and I am beginning to feel the side effects, I think.
So basically, does anyone have any fitness tips, so people like me can keep their fitness up without wasting time going outside for a few hours? So I can make the most of my editing, ending up with a productive day in film and fitness.
(what indoor exercises would be good, and for how long? .......... What do you guys do for exercise, if you do exercise, even like *outdoor* sports, and for how long? .......... How long should I edit for before I should take a break, (and exercise)?)
Thanks a lot everyone.
I am having a long summer of film making, and I need to stay fit for football (soccer) season next term! :D

Comments

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478

Okay, I know making and editing films can take a very long time, and this is the problem.
    I have noticed that many film makers (professionals, and youtubers), no offence, have a bit of a "beer" belly.
    I have also been editing for a few weeks now, with little exercise, I haven't had the time to go out and play footy, or tennis, etc (and as I am in year 11, my exams finished so I have no school, therefore no games lessons to keep me fit.), and I am beginning to feel the side effects, I think.
    So basically, does anyone have any fitness tips, so people like me can keep their fitness up without wasting time going outside for a few hours? So I can make the most of my editing, ending up with a productive day in film and fitness.
    (what indoor exercises would be good, and for how long? .......... What do you guys do for exercise, if you do exercise, even like *outdoor* sports, and for how long? .......... How long should I edit for before I should take a break, (and exercise)?)
    Thanks a lot everyone.
    I am having a long summer of film making, and I need to stay fit for football (soccer) season next term! :D
    I've totally noticed how immersed I get when I'm in the process of editing video and adding VFX. It's a tough thing especially when you're so passionate about film making you just want to sit there and do it all day! Not to mention I find I always want to munch on something when I'm editing lol.
    Depending on your access to equipment you could always run on a treadmill, bike, skip, do weights, body weight exercises while your computer is rendering something.
    Physical fitness in general is good for both the body and the mind. For myself I do find I'm more productive if I've taken a break to workout. I've also found that when I'm out running or on a stationary bike ideas tend to pop into my head or finding ways to figure out a solution to a problem happen more easily.
    I used to play soccer for years, I found the best way to stay in 'soccer' shape was to play soccer. Nothing prepares you more for a sport than doing the sport itself. You could setup some cones and do some dribbling exercises, juggling, shooting, or just do some sprints and run to keep your cardio up.
    Going outside and exercising isn't a waste if you're maximizing and organizing your time efficiently. Just make sure to focus on your task at hand when you've allotted a given time frame :) So when you're out conditioning and training for soccer, focus on that, don't let yourself get distracted so that you can get through what you need to do as efficiently and quickly as possible while still getting the benefits from it. The same goes for your editing, during that time don't be distracted by things and just focus on what you need to do.
    When you feel like you're hitting a wall or getting tired, making silly mistakes or things aren't just coming to you as they normally would, take a break and do something else.
    As for myself, these days I try and do martial arts tricking as often as a can, body weight exercises during rendering and walking the dogs or going for runs.
  • MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    Exercising at home is nice but you have to be motivated to do it. I got laid off from my day job last month so i've taken this time to start shedding the weight you can get from getting complacent in an office job. I'd recommend a training video or guide so that you can stay focused and just go into auto pilot. Or there is the go out to the gym or outside and find things to do. Like running.
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    When using computers the two main things to remember are:
    - Every 20 minutes make sure you look at something at a different distance. This will help your eyes relax and not tense up. Otherwise, your eye muscles are having to hold focus at the exact same distance (the monitor) for hours. Imagine trying to hold something heavy in your arms for hours without moving - that's kinda what your eyes are trying to do. :P
    - Get up and stretch regularly, including doing stretch exercises on your wrists and arms, which can freeze up if you're using keyboard and mouse.
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Posts: 369
    I use my exercise wheel
  • Froi
    thanks for the tips guys, i have now decided to some more exercise :D . and i have more ,motivation to do it, i don't know what it is, but i feel like actually doing exercise for some reason lol!
    I'm doing weights and sit ups, etc at them moment :D
  • Aculag
    Aculag Posts: 708 Just Starting Out

I'm doing weights and sit ups, etc at them moment :D
    The point is to take a break from the computer, not to exercise while computing. ;)
  • Froi

The point is to take a break from the computer, not to exercise while computing. ;)
    Yeah that's what I meant, lol. I said at the moment, as in, for this day/ week, etc .
    ;)
  • MichaelJames
    It can be easy to give up being active but for me i made myself look at myself as a producer hiring an actor. What kind of actor do I want to hire for the lead role in my short series Control? I had the visual, and then asked myself if I would hire myself. So right now I am making sure to get back into the shape where I would want to hire me. I was laid off from my job in June, and so i've been lifting weights twice a day, running, and doing cardio. I do not need to look like Thor or Captain America but I want to make sure when you look at me you think athletic.

• It can be easy to give up being active but for me i made myself look at myself as a producer hiring an actor. What kind of actor do I want to hire for the lead role in my short series Control? I had the visual, and then asked myself if I would hire myself. So right now I am making sure to get back into the shape where I would want to hire me. I was laid off from my job in June, and so i've been lifting weights twice a day, running, and doing cardio. I do not need to look like Thor or Captain America but I want to make sure when you look at me you think athletic.
    Sounds great. I just started lifting weights not because I'm overweight but because I'm kinda tired of looking like a holocaust survivor.
  • MichaelJames
    Make sure you lift evenly. Full body workouts can suffer if you don't know what your doing. The system i am fond of is mondays 4 chest work outs and 3 tris(i'll also do 3-4 core workouts). Tuesdays 4 back, and 3 biceps, Wednesday Legs 5-6, Thursday 4 shoulders, and Fridays are 3 bicep and 3 tricep workouts. This way you hit all the groups. Some people only work their chest and Biceps... or never work on their legs.
  • Thanks for the advice, I'm a pretty active runner at the moment so I'm not to worried about my legs but I would like some professional guidance on what's a good workout for my age. I do 3 sets of 8 reps for my biceps at 20 pounds. Then I do 3 sets of 10 reps for my shoulders at 10 pounds. After that I take the barbell and do as many bench presses as I can several times a day. I play basketball most of the time to stay I'm shape but as of right now I have a broken finger and cant play so instead I lift weights . . .
  • MasterWolf
    MasterWolf Posts: 369
    i live in a shoe box apartment, so exercise equipment is a problem. Anything I get has to be small. I have a couple dumbbells and my exercise wheel (its an ab wheel). I've sustained several injuries to my left leg over the years so its pretty much useless at this point. I walk with a permanent limp, I often need to use a can, and because of the limp I have constant back pain. So running really isn't an option. I can't put any weight on my left leg for any length of time at all, if i do it just collapses like it wasn't even there. But I try to do what ever I can.
  • Froi
    I don't care about working my legs out, I've been told I have the most power full kick in the year of a foot/soccer ball, and I am one of the fastes sprinters in my year.
    I just want to "buff" up my arms and chest.
    For my chest I've started doing stuff called; dumbbell fly and dumbbell push.
    Then for my arms I just lift some weights, I don't really know about technique, I just lift haha, is that good or bad :)
    master wolf I feel sorry for you having a bad leg and the fore back, by now we can call you House :D
  • MichaelJames
    @Flehxi If you want to buff up your arms and chest, make sure to include your back. I've seen too many people work out only certain body parts. Your chest and back work in conjuncture with one another. You do not want your body getting weirdly shaped. Your Triceps need to be worked just as hard as your biceps, and your back needs to be worked out just as hard as your chest.