Tutorial: The "Film Look"

RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
edited August 2012 in Practical Filmmaking
[img]http://www.rodypolis.com/uploads/8/1/4/0/8140649/7173859.png[/img]
In this week's post, I go over some things to consider if you want the famous "Film Look."
Check out the tutorial
[img]http://www.rodypolis.com/uploads/8/1/4/0/8140649/2526657.png?673[/img]
Hey guys! To continue my Film Tips series I go over storyboards, and I give out a free storyboard template!
Check out the post
Be sure to comment and share it around!

[img]http://www.rodypolis.com/uploads/8/1/4/0/8140649/3854159_orig.png[/img]
Hey guys, I recently started a filmmaking tips blog/vlog on my website. I'm hoping to share a little bit of the knowledge I've acquired over the years. So the first post deals with the Rule of Thirds. Following this guideline can really help you frame better shots.
Check out the tutorial.
Be sure to comment and share it around! Thanks.

Comments

• OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Thanks for that writeup and visuals Rody! Really helpful!
  • pixelizedFXpixelizedFX Website User Posts: 77
    edited June 2012
    Nice article Rody! Learned some new stuff from it, thanks!
    Looking forward to next posts:)
  • RodyPolisRodyPolis Website User Posts: 613
    No problem, thanks!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Very cool as always and nicely illustrated. The humour also helps to make the article less intimidating for beginners, which is always good.
    Look forward to seeing where you take the series.
  • MasterWolfMasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    I use the rule of thirds all the time in my still artwork. While not the only way to compose an image it is the easiest to learn and gives a very pleasing result.
    Much of what you learn in traditional art can be carried over to film making.
    Be sure to comment on my What do you want to learn post so I can have ideas of what to talk about as the series goes on.
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
    Cool stuff, i never really knew about the rule of thirds until you mentioned it, but i tend to film in the same style any way.
    But know you mention it, so many films and TV shows use it, is very interesting :) . I like it!
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    Great and fun tutorial Rody! I think it's a rule that every film maker should learn but not necessarily adhere strictly too- it's one of those rules that when done right you don't notice but if done wrong the scenes becomes quite odd and hard to follow. Hoping to see more great tutorials mate!
    Sam
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Cool stuff, i never really knew about the rule of thirds until you mentioned it, but i tend to film in the same style any way.
    But know you mention it, so many films and TV shows use it, is very interesting :) . I like it!
    I think if you have a good eye for composition you will naturally pick up this kind of thing simply by observing professional movies, TV, artwork etc. So you might not know the science behind it, but you understand intuitively what the benefits are of framing in a particular way.
    Even then, though, it's still very useful to have the rule itself explained clearly, as it can make your decisions more logical on set, or give you better ways of explaining what you want to your crew.
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966

I think if you have a good eye for composition you will naturally pick up this kind of thing simply by observing professional movies, TV, artwork etc. So you might not know the science behind it, but you understand intuitively what the benefits are of framing in a particular way.
    Even then, though, it's still very useful to have the rule itself explained clearly, as it can make your decisions more logical on set, or give you better ways of explaining what you want to your crew.
    Well thanks simon, :) I do tend to use those style of shots, as i do watch many films, and look at lots of photography, which i have learnt from, and know i just film in that way.
    But knowing about the rule definitely helps, like you said Simon, now when i start filming my short films in summer i will be able to do what you said, and control the situation better. :D And i find it much easier to explain things now as i can say why i want the actors, and lighting, etc, to be where i tell them.
    I can't wait for more of Rody's tutorials on stuff like this :D
    [img]http://www.rodypolis.com/uploads/8/1/4/0/8140649/2526657.png?673[/img]
    Hey guys! To continue my Film Tips series I go over storyboards, and I give out a free storyboard template!
    Check out the post
    Be sure to comment and share it around!
    [img]http://www.rodypolis.com/uploads/8/1/4/0/8140649/7173859.png[/img]
    In this week's post, I go over some things to consider if you want the famous "Film Look."
    Check out the tutorial
    Good info, Rody!
    I'm glad the 'film look' debate is rather more sophisticated than it used to be. I remember when people would insist that 24p was the 'secret' to film look, which was always absurd.
    The reality, of course, is that every element of your movie contributes to the 'film look'.
  • ghootghoot Website User Posts: 50
    Rody,
    Thanks a lot for your tutorials. Really good info for a newbie like myself!
    Gary
    Haha ya I remember those hot 24p debates. Glad to help!

Rody,
    Thanks a lot for your tutorials. Really good info for a newbie like myself!
    Gary
    Glad to help out!