GPU buyng tip..

DarshitDarshit Website User Posts: 3
Hi,
I have searched for GPU for desktop on net & this forum, but it is confusing me.
Can some one guide on what is a best buy current date product.
My budget is around 100$ to 150$.

Also I am getting confusions like
DDR3 or DDR5?
NVDIA or ATI?
What exactly should I look if I am buying for Hitfilm compatibility?

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,443 Staff

Hi,
    I have searched for GPU for desktop on net & this forum, but it is confusing me.
    Can some one guide on what is a best buy current date product.
    My budget is around 100$ to 150$.

Also I am getting confusions like
    DDR3 or DDR5?
    NVDIA or ATI?
    What exactly should I look if I am buying for Hitfilm compatibility?
    Hi,
    Unfortunately yes, buying a new GPU is an incredibly confusing process, simply because Nvidia & AMD do not name their cards in an easily understandable order. I can explain the naming conventions to you but I fear it may confuse you more, but if you'd like to know I can.
    Anyway there should be plenty of cards in your price range, we don't have a recommended place of purchase for our US customers but places like Newegg & PCWorld are a good shout. Although other places might be cheaper.
    When looking for a card, you should always be aiming to meet the recommended specifications not the minimum. So check the requirements here and try to find a card that matches your budget in there.
    DDR3 & DDR5 is related to the memory, this is of no real importance unless a particular card of the same model has both DDR3 & DDR5 memory options. The things that really matter are price and performance, look at those first before anything else.
    AMD or Nvidia is just the card manufacturer, some people prefer a particular card manufacturer whilst others have no preference. Also some cards be that Nvidia or AMD are designed to work well / better with certain hardware but it's truthfully up to you which one you pick really.
    Again, just look for anything in the recommended area, if you are at all unsure, post your query here or via a Support Ticket and somebody will get back to you.
    I hope this helps a little & if you have any further questions please get back in touch.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    There is also a thread which Simon put together with Hardware Buying Tips that offers some suggestions for cards that offer good price-to-performance value.