Disabling Image Interpolation? (For Pixel Art)

Jay_TholenJay_Tholen Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out
Hello. I'm trying to use Hitfilm to compile a video using some of my pixel art pieces. They have transparency, so they're all in PNG format. Unfortunately, Hitfilm applies interpolation, which in any other context would be fine. Pixel art needs the jagged edges to look good.
Is there an option to disable this? It was the entire reason I purchased the program. :(
Thank you!

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    When you say interpolation, do you mean anti-aliasing? Can you show an example of what you are describing?
  • Jay_TholenJay_Tholen Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2012
    :)
    Here's another link: My Game Company If you save the image with the clowns and use it in hitfilm you should see what I mean.
    And yeah, not sure about my terminology. Could be AA. Sorry about that, ha.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    What quality do you have the Render: menu set to, for the Viewer? When I import your logo from the site, it looks just the same as on the webpage, until I reduce the canvas quality down to Quarter. But at any of the higher quality settings it looks fine.
    edited June 2012
    First of all, thanks for your prompt reply and effort here. I dig that you're trying to help me with my weird niche request. Here's a better example:
    Original: [img]http://jaytholen.net/artbefore.png[/img]
    In Hitfilm: [img]http://jaytholen.net/artafter.png[/img]
    I did try changing canvas quality, it yields much the same result.
    Here's the file I was using for the screenshot: http://jaytholen.net/cty.png The original one I tried was 1:1 pixel size. I scaled it way way up in my image editor thinking that might help, and it did a little, but it's still super blurry.
    It may be useful to add that I'm using 3D so I can have true parallax effects. Like shown here. This was as close as I could get it, so I intentionally put a bunch of fog to obscure the un-pixellyness. Haha: Youtube Video
    Thanks again!
  • EmmaEmma Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 79 Staff
    Hey, the blurring you're seeing is known as 'downsampling', a process where an image is made smaller by removing pixels. This is happening so HitFilm can handle the image, because the image size is greater than 1920 x 1088.
    Can you try using smaller pieces of the images and check the result would be as you expect?
    It still does it at 1:1 pixel size. I also tried this image, same thing. I'd be willing to pay for some kind additional check box somewhere in a future update or something if I'm able to do this. I absolutely love HitFilm's interface.
  • pscammpscamm Website User Posts: 136
    edited June 2012
    This is quite an interesting issue, i loaded up Jay's .PNG image and im seeing the same here.
    @-)

This is quite an interesting issue, i loaded up Jay's .PNG image and im seeing the same here.
    @-)
    Yup. And like I said, I've tried it with images both at the original scale and super resized, same thing. I'm serious though, if this isn't currently possible I'll pay for the Ultimate upgrade and extra (within reason) just for some kind of menu option/plugin. B-)
  • pscammpscamm Website User Posts: 136
    My 3D application got a test too using this .PNG
    Turns out if i load the/an image up as a texture map applied to an object i cant get the software to bring it in raw, i have to choose one of the following filters:
    Mip Mapping
    Sampling
    Summed Table Area
    Gaussian Filtering
    In addition, there is a checkbox named 'Interpolate' which further blurs the textures pixels together along side whatever filter option you have chosen.
    All the above have a very slight AA type effect of sorts on the texture map apparently to deal with a sparkly type effect or moiré patterns we sometimes get when a texture is quite far away from the camera but it does'nt give us a 'None' option which we might need one day just as Jay needs right now so ill be bringing this up with the dev's. Anyway, i wonder if hitfilm is doing some kind of filtering under the hood a bit like this ??
    8-|
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Filtering which in most cases is very useful unfortunately isn't so useful if you're going for a super accurate pixel art like this. :/
    We can look into it for sure, but it's not something we'll be able to do anything about in the near future, sorry.

Filtering which in most cases is very useful unfortunately isn't so useful if you're going for a super accurate pixel art like this. :/
    We can look into it for sure, but it's not something we'll be able to do anything about in the near future, sorry.
    Aw shux. I don't know if this is taboo to ask, but do you guys know of any other similar programs that could work well for something like this?
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Not used it personally, but maybe take a look at Flash?