How to - Particle Effects(for questions)

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
So I saw the winning entry of the super hero contest and that really has me curious about particle effects. I am starting this thread because hopefully people will put their knowledge together here on particle effects.

Here are some questions which maybe someone could answer. Some of it has to do with the entry.
1)I really liked the electricity running down the body and up the arms in particle warfare. It this just just electricity with moving points?
2)How was the particles being absorbed by the hand done?

Comments

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Oh and the ice man effect on their youtube is nice, and I would love a tutorial on that.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478

So I saw the winning entry of the super hero contest and that really has me curious about particle effects. I am starting this thread because hopefully people will put their knowledge together here on particle effects.

Here are some questions which maybe someone could answer. Some of it has to do with the entry.
    1)I really liked the electricity running down the body and up the arms in particle warfare. It this just just electricity with moving points?
    2)How was the particles being absorbed by the hand done?
    1. You're correct, the electricity running down the body/arms is just keyframing the start and end points. I played around a bit with the other properties of the lightning effect to adjust how it acted as it moved. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact modifiers I used though.
    2. To give the impression that the particles were being absorbed, a mask of the hand was created and layered on top of the particles so that it looked like they went into the hand and behind some of the fingers.
    Anything specific on the iceman effect you'd like to know about?
    Hope that helped :)
    specifically? hmm everything haha. The blue dust and shockwave is simle enough. Im curious how did you do the hand turning blue? Expanding mask?

specifically? hmm everything haha. The blue dust and shockwave is simle enough. Im curious how did you do the hand turning blue? Expanding mask?
    Yup! You got it, the hand is just a color corrected mask that expands / moves over time :)
    Ok I am trying to have particles which interact similar to how yours is but I cannot seem to figure it out. I created a group of particles with a force modifier but I am not sure on how to offset the center of gravity.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,232 Staff
    I believe what he is referring to is actually Center of Mass, which is a parameter in the Movement and Movement Variation controls.

I believe what he is referring to is actually Center of Mass, which is a parameter in the Movement and Movement Variation controls.
    Yup, thanks for clearing that up Axel, it totally is the Center of Mass.