HitFilm on the Mac

FinalCutMacFanFinalCutMacFan Website User Posts: 1
As new MacBook Pro was launched yesterday with improved graphics and a new Mac Pro was launched unlike a rumour on here of removing the product. So Apple hasn't gone entirely consumer based as Final Cut Pro X gets better and better and actual pro starting to edit with it. As the Mac Pro was no doubt already more than powerful enough to run it. I spotted that now because of the intel graphics compatibility the intel chip in the MacBook Pro meets the minimum requirement for intel chip all though the nvidia graphics don't seem to. And now all the iMac's seen to meet the requirements of the Radeon Graphic chips unlike my cheapest of the Mid 2010 range which doesn't meet the mininum requirement all though hit film trial will run just with slow playback and clunky. This was before the last update however! As it seems that now the main two Macs that probably don't meet the requirements are the MacBook Air and Mac Mini.
So all these machines may run it OK I can't test of course as I don't have these but I would be interested to know if more Macs in the future will meet the requirements of the software and maybe one day it will be worthwhile releasing it to Mac to compete with Apple Motion 5 which has a lot of bad reviews mainly on bugs and saying Motion doesn't run as well as used to on Mac App Store so may be worthwhile competing with them and Adobe After Effects on both Mac and PC. However Final Cut Pro X is very good and Hitfilm would work well with Final Cut Pro X. Would be interested if you test hit film in bootcamp on any of these machines. the MacBook Pro with improved graphics was launched yesterday and new Mac Pro was launched yesterday. iMac's launched last year and all meet your requirements now.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    We're definitely keeping a very close eye on these developments. The Mac Pro is not new, it's just been slightly tweaked. Though there are rumours of a proper new Mac Pro in 2013. Even then, there are still new Macs being sold which do not meet our requirements. While you could argue the same for PCs, the difference is that you can very easily and cheaply upgrade a PC.
    It's not simply a matter of hardware, though. Other factors are userbase (far smaller market on Mac, and the growth of Mac as a platform lately seems to have been mainly in the consumer market rather than creative. Although there is of course an argument that there's a greater percentage of creative/video types on Mac compared to PC) and the shifting platform itself (restrictive Apple store, primary focus on mobile etc).
    The new retina displays have also complicated matters a bit. If we'd already developed HitFilm for Mac the new retina displays would now mean that we'd have to completely redo the interface - not fun for a small developer like us.
    As always, these aren't excuses for not developing a Mac version. We'd love to have a Mac version. And in a world with infinite resources, we'd be on every platform there is. :)
  • NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    *cough* Kickstarter *cough*
    8-|
    Would definitely be keen on picking up a Mac version. The only thing that's held me off buying up to now is being PC only and I'd rather keep finding ways in After Effects than reboot between editing.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Funny you suggest that, Nutty. We have knocked the Kickstarter idea around the office a couple of times, especially after the recent explosion of succees with projects on that site.
    In some ways Kickstarting a Mac version makes a lot of sense. It would establish the demand up front (whether the kickstarter was successful or not would kinda settle the question of whether there's enough demand or not), and give us the resource to work on the project without it being a risky investment for the company.
    So that's the positives. On the flipside, we worry that it would seem unprofessional. What is appropriate for the gaming industry (as with the Double Fine Adventure) isn't necessarily suitable for video software like HitFilm. The other issue, of course, is that developing something like HitFilm for Mac isn't cheap, so I do wonder if it would even be possible to hit a target.
    I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this concept.
  • NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    I know what you mean, but to counter that you are admittedly a small, yet very user friendly/involved company. Helping fund the development from my point of view seems very reasonable. If it's an expensive process then why risk it without a promise of sales which we hope will be reflected by the interest and funds gathered with a Kickstarter.
    Being professional doesn't mean you have to have endless funds from my point of view. As a business owner I appreciate Kickstarter as being a much nicer alternative to a loan, that pretty has much paid for itself if successful. Not everyone's going to see it that way though I suppose.
    The option is always there though.
  • fredclipsfredclips Website User Posts: 228
    Simon, regarding number of sales (pc vs mac), do you know what the difference was with Visionlab on fxhome? (Sorry if this has been asked before)
    I get the impression that even though the mac users are vocal and keen, there are just not that many of them? (using Visionlab as a test case?)
    edited June 2012
    I can't go into specific numbers, obviously, but here's some info that might be of interest -
    1. In terms of lifetime sales of VisionLab and the Lab products, about 20% were Mac sales. Which isn't too bad, but you can see why moving into HitFilm development we absolutely had to prioritise the PC version. Interestingly, the split with our photo product PhotoKey is quite different with many more people on Mac - it's very much a dominant platform for photo and design work still. (of course, it is worth bearing in mind that HitFilm is a VERY different product to VisionLab, so it wouldn't necessarily experience the same platform split)
    2. Developing a Mac version would take about a year (unfortunately it's not a simple case of "export Mac version!"). To cover development costs (ie, not making any profit, just ensuring we don't make a loss) would require us to sell several thousand copies straight away.
    3. Perhaps a bigger issue, and the one that makes it really tricky to work out, is that because we're a relatively small team we wouldn't be able to work on much else while developing a Mac version. At the very least, several team members would be off doing the Mac version for an extended period of time. So not only would the Mac development have its own inherent costs, it also has a potential knock-on effect in that it would actually substantially slow down development of HitFilm in general, which could have awkward long-term consequences.
    You can probably see how #3 would potentially be a problem even if we had a successfully funded Kickstarter.
    Life is complicated.
  • IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff
    Even forgetting the specification issues porting HitFilm is a massively complicated task.
    To succeed at our price point we would have to re-engineer the software to meet the restrictions of the App Store which is no easy task. Along with this we would also have to adapt the interface for retina displays - a massive change from the Windows version.
    Furthermore, to the casual purchaser there are well-priced Apple branded products which exist in our market segment. Even though FCPX and Motion aren't capable of recreating the effects of HitFilm it would take a significant amount of marketing investment to make this understood. Even with this investment you never stand a chance against Apple on its own platform and software store.
    I would love to have HitFilm running on the very latest MacBook Air but without guaranteeing thousands of Mac sales the risks are far too great for a small indie developer like FXhome.
  • DrummerGuyDrummerGuy Website User Posts: 29
    I don't think that using Kickstarter would be unprofessional. Go for it! :)
  • RyanCinemaRyanCinema Website User Posts: 18
    edited July 2012
    I am a little late on this, but I think a Mac version would bring in tons of sales because of the fact that Final Cut Pro has gotten way better. Even if Mac isn't an option I think there should be some way to lower the graphics card requirements and GHz because I purchased a new 500$ CPU just to work with Hit Film and Hitfilm still doesn't run as well as I hoped, it is quite slow when I use the particle simulator, and I don't have an endless money supply so that I can purchase a better CPU.
    $500 should get you a pretty kick ass GPU. What model was it?
    The particle simulator, depending what you're doing with it, is always going to be intensive. How many particles per second are you spawning, and what is their lifetime?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    He did say CPU, Simon. Not sure if it was a typo or not, but its possible he picked up a smoking CPU, and still has a lower-end GPU that is causing the bottleneck.
    What CPU and GPU do you have, RyanCinema?
  • RyanCinemaRyanCinema Website User Posts: 18
    edited July 2012
    I have a Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5109 with an AMD Radeon HD 6480G graphics card. And to Simon I haven't really done anything with the particle simulator but a test and it ran slow, so I don't really remember what I put as the particle settings. I actually have been searching for a cheaper desktop that would work with Hit Film, I have a monitor so that is not a necessity but do you guys have any suggestions for a desktop under the price of $400. I posted a forum topic (I am kind of new to this by the way) about the computers I found, I don't know if you'll find it but it's out there.
    Thanks, Ryan
  • Quentin VidalQuentin Vidal Website User Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I'm going to make my argument short, simple and sweet:
    I have a very old Macbook Pro, and am finally in the financial position to upgrade. I was planning on getting a top-of-the-line Retina Display model which now runs Mountain Lion, and I've been forced to face the inevitable: I can no longer use Final Cut Pro 7. I'm a soon-to-be college graduate who will enter the workforce in less than a year and I've run into a huge dilemma. What editing software should I use??
    I thought I only had two choices. Learn FCP X and take a leap of faith that it will eventually be supported by the professional community, or switch to another program like Adobe Premier or Avid. I really don't want to do either of those things.
    Then I decided to look at old FXhome, the creators of my beloved VisionLab (which I admit I haven't used too much recently, since visual effects have not been a necessity for any of my projects; but I do cherish it dearly for what it has allowed me to do in the past), and I discover HitFilm. EUREKA! An all-in-one editing package for indie filmmakers? This was the answer to my prayers! an editing platform that offers an alternative to Apple's and Adobe's less than ideal solutions. Then the kicker that killed my dreams: it's PC only...
    If there was a Mac compatible editing software that not only integrated visual effects but offered a comprehensive alternative to Final Cut Pro and Premiere, the world of indie filmmakers (the majority of whom undoubtedly use Mac) would be saved. So I'll keep on dreaming.
    Just sayin'
  • VfxRoadVfxRoad Website User Posts: 59
    Would you be able to run HitFilm on a Mac if you did a dual boot so that you have windows as well and then run it on the windows system?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    As long as you are directly booted into Windows via Boot Camp, and not through an emulator like Parallels or Fusion, and as long as your Mac's hardware requirements meet the minimum spec, then yes.

As long as you are directly booted into Windows via Boot Camp, and not through an emulator like Parallels or Fusion, and as long as your Mac's hardware requirements meet the minimum spec, then yes.
    Thats good! I just bought a Mac for college and was going to run HitFilm on it.
    Things are afoot.

Would this mean that I would have to buy again? Or can I just download the mac version?

It wouldn't be necessary to repurchase the software, no.  Not all of the details of that scenario are worked out, but the plan is that ultimately the licenses would all be cross platform.
     But if you are interested in having access to the software on a Mac, I encourage you to head over to the Kickstarter page and consider backing the project to help us make it happen.  Take a look at the Veteran option, which doesn't include the software (since you already have it), but does have some other cool merchandise.  The lower options such as Badge and Credit also work nicely for anyone who doesn't need to purchase the software.
  • WeezerWeezer Website User Posts: 6
    Hi all. Kickstarter 'Hitfilmer' pledger here - fingers crossed you hit your target. Looking forward to seeing this on OSX (where it belongs :P )
    Thanks Weezer! :D
  • WeezerWeezer Website User Posts: 6
    Call me Steve!
  • dsoldsol Website User Posts: 2
    I've backed this on Kickstarter too - £165 seemed like a bargain (if it happens!) - even if it was just to get my hands on the luvverly particle system.
    Looking at some of the other pledge tiers, it does feel a wee bit stingy (though if I had more cash, I'd definitely have considered "The Designer"). For the "Transporter" top tier, for £5k surely it wouldn't be insane to say you'll also throw in free lifetime upgrades for HitFilm too? Josh is a cool dude and all, but I reckon offering something a bit more on top might make someone bite
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Throw in tech support from simon via direct calls.
    Thanks dsol! We do have some other ideas which we're going to have a play around with.
    Michael - ssh, you.
  • BrianJohnsonBrianJohnson Website User Posts: 83
    T-Shirt Tier!     :P 
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Mac Users now is your time to shine.  You've been asking for Hitfilm to come mac.  Well now is your time to shine. I feel like Hitfilm 2 is the Gladiator asking the audience if they are entertained. 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_jyeDZ3Sg
    The reference does not really fit, but its just a good scene that people need to be reminded about.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Congratulations on making 100% funding on Kickstarter!
    With 11 days to go, too!  There should be an update rolling out tomorrow with details about the added rewards for various stretch goals, I imagine.
  • Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    [quote name="Axel Wilkinson" post="30197" timestamp="1369621501"]With 11 days to go, too!  There should be an update rolling out tomorrow with details about the added rewards for various stretch goals, I imagine.[/quote]

Congrats on sucsessfully funding hit film for Mac