Slow motion fail

Dolores74Dolores74 Website User Posts: 41
I have a Z68XP-UD3P motherboard with a Intel 7k CPU. A Gigabyte Geforce GT 430 OC (1Gb DDR3) Graphis card. 16 GB Ram and a Hitfilm 64bit version but I can't use the speed effect. It moves forward with bits and pieces. Just 1 clip and the speed effect.
Is this normal ?
Is it the hardware or the software ?
Also, using a few effect together my PC needs to think a lot.
Did I made the wrong investment ?

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    The graphics card you are using, the GeForce GT 430, is just about the absolute minimum card that can run Hitfilm. Upgrading to a moderate performance card (or a high performance card, if you can afford it) will dramatically increase your Hitfilm performance. However, the specific format of your video can also have a significant impact on performance, so converting the video just might improve things as well. What format specifics is the video you are working with?
  • Dolores74Dolores74 Website User Posts: 41
    Hi Axel,
    I bought a Panasonic AG-HMC81EJ and the format is 1920x1080.
    1080p/25 are te settings of my Hitfilm project.
    What moderate performance card do you suggest ?
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    A good collection of video cards in order of performance can be found here:
    http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements
    Look under the recommended system requirements.
    As for your Panasonic camera, what format does it output to?
    Thanks Pekoe, so I made the wrong investment. (Have to kick somebody's ass in that computer shop)
    The file extension of this Panasonic is .MTS
    I red Axel his article and all the comments. I've learned a lot but it is still complicated.
    I have converted the file to Quicktime and this time I have sound but the footage turns black after the first frame with the speed set to -0.8, so I can't test the speed.
    [quote name='Dechonamé' timestamp='1339526665' post='18199']
    Thanks Pekoe, so I made the wrong investment. (Have to kick somebody's ass in that computer shop)
    The file extension of this Panasonic is .MTS
    I red Axel his article and all the comments. I've learned a lot but it is still complicated.
    I have converted the file to Quicktime and this time I have sound but the footage turns black after the first frame with the speed set to -0.8, so I can't test the speed.
    [/quote]
    Is it set to "-0.8" or 0.8? Try 0.8 for a 20% slowdown. Using -0.8 would make it go backwards which might be why it's turning black.
    Good luck!
    Sorry bout that
    I'm in trouble, now I can't even play the .mov file anymore.
    Played a bit around with the export settings of my converting program, overwrote the first file and this happens.
    See the screen shot

[attachment=304:2012-06-12 - 0001.JPG]
    Without changing the export settings on your converting file, did it work using 0.8 instead of -0.8?
    The error you see does happen from time to time. However, is it happening every time now that you've changed it's settings?
    Firstly, find a file that works in hitfilm - once you have a file type that works without a problem then start applying the speed effect you want.
    Unfortunately, I only have experience using .MOV and .AVI file types within HitFilm.
    I'm so lucky.
    I did not overwrote the first file I was experimenting with but sended it to the bin and found it back.
    The program I converted the file with remembers the last settings and I don't know the default ones. I'll figure it out. Something went wrong there that causes Hitfilm to crash.
    YES,
    0.8 slows it down. Tried also 0.5, even slower. (of course)
    Indeed, .mov is a better extension for editing then the .mts file strait from my camera.
    It does not progress in bits and paces any more. But still, the movements of my subject are unsharpened.
    Mayby I can take slow motion shots with my camera, i'll check the manual. (He was expensive enough)
    Why does Hitfilm not convert directly to an editable file when importing ? Would save a lot of people a lot of trouble.
    Still, I have to talk to this computer expert who sold me this PC about the graphic card.

Thanks Axel and Pekoe