Computer buying help

Froi
Froi Posts: 966
hey, as you all probably know, I am not too good with computer stats, so can someone help me out with the whole graphics card deal. What is a good graphics card, and how can I tell it is a good one that will run, after effects, hitfilm, etc on the same computer. Thanks for the help, I am getting a computer very soon and want to make sure it is good.
I don't mind if you mock me as I am a suoer computer noob and noobs can annoy some people, haha! But don't be sarcastic or I'll get confused :D
Here is the computer I am looking at ATM http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt1413-desktop-pc-11290850-pdt.html
Thanks y'all

Comments

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Posts: 478

hey, as you all probably know, I am not too good with computer stats, so can someone help me out with the whole graphics card deal. What is a good graphics card, and how can I tell it is a good one that will run, after effects, hitfilm, etc on the same computer. Thanks for the help, I am getting a computer very soon and want to make sure it is good.
    I don't mind if you mock me as I am a suoer computer noob and noobs can annoy some people, haha! But don't be sarcastic or I'll get confused :D
    Here is the computer I am looking at ATM http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/advent-dt1413-desktop-pc-11290850-pdt.html
    Thanks y'all
    The best thing to do for now graphics card wise is look at
    http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements
    The ones on the recommended list are the better ones and they are arranged in order of increased performance with the GTX 590 and the AMD 6990 on that list being the top cards. There are also newer and faster cards though expensive at this time ie: AMD 7950/7970 and the GTX 690/680/670
    Based on the computer you've shown it has an AMD 6770 card which on the hitfilm list is middle of the road on the recommended list so you should be able to get some pretty decent performance out of it. Before upgrading, I had the AMD 5770 the same card but a generation earlier and it served me well.
    A good graphics card is the one that does what you need it to do and works for you and that all depends on what you're trying to do.
    So will it run After Effects and Hitfilm - Yes
    Hope that helps!
  • Froi
    edited June 2012
    Thanks a lot! :D great help, I may get that computer, or one like it, thanks! :D is the on on hitfilm thtat is the same ws the one i mwntioned in the comput i am looking at the HD4770
  • OrangePekoe

Thanks a lot! :D great help, I may get that computer, or one like it, thanks! :D is the on on hitfilm thtat is the same ws the one i mwntioned in the comput i am looking at the HD4770
    Sorry not quite sure what you were saying in the last sentence but the AMD 6770 as listed in your link for the computer is better than the 4770 you listed in your last post.
    Here's a very general and theoretical comparison between cards:
    http://www.hwcompare.com/5729/radeon-hd-4770-vs-radeon-hd-6770-1gb/
    You can use that site to compare any two cards but take the results with a grain of salt it's just meant as a very general comparison.
  • Froi
    Okay, I was just wondering if they were roughly the same as they had the same number (770)
    Also should I get a custom pc, as my friend says that I shouldnt get an advent as they have rubbish components, but I just don't know!!! Argh
    Thanks
  • OrangePekoe
    Well they are the same in the sense that they are part of the same family of cards the x770 but they are 2 generations of cards apart which is a fairly large difference in terms of technology.
    As for the custom PC that is completely up to you. The one thing about box builds is that you don't necessarily know the exact components inside them. I have never heard of Advent.
    I personally like to build my own rig so I'm biased towards custom PCs. If you are going the way of box builds my only advice would be to stay with a big names or trusted names that have a good reputation.
  • Froi

Well they are the same in the sense that they are part of the same family of cards the x770 but they are 2 generations of cards apart which is a fairly large difference in terms of technology.
    As for the custom PC that is completely up to you. The one thing about box builds is that you don't necessarily know the exact components inside them. I have never heard of Advent.
    I personally like to build my own rig so I'm biased towards custom PCs. If you are going the way of box builds my only advice would be to stay with a big names or trusted names that have a good reputation.
    Oh okay cool so they a the same family of cards then. :D
    And those names of the companies would be...
    Thanks