There and Back Again - short film

Jonathan David DamborgJonathan David Damborg Website User Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Practical Filmmaking
Hello everyone :)
I've just finished my new short film "There and Back Again" and would like to ask you hitfilmers what you think'
The films is about a boy and a girl who wake up on the fields of Elysium - on their way to heaven.
It was shot on a canon 550D and edited in sony vegas and adobe after effects.

Thank you
Jonathan David Damborg

Comments

• DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forums!
    I have edited the post slightly to embed the video rather than linking to it.
    I'll give it a watch myself later, but the network connection here doesn't seem to be letting me right now :)
  • SketchWorkSketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    edited May 2012
    What a lovely short movie! So glad you included the subtitles. Concept was excellent, the acting as also great. The sound design was good too. My only crit is some of the sound effects could have blended a bit nicer especially the reverse wind effect on the key which could have benefited from a bit of reverb as it sounded too dry.
    But, that aside I think you have a wonderful short there and I enjoyed it a lot.
  • Jonathan David DamborgJonathan David Damborg Website User Posts: 7
    It's nice to be here, and thanks for the edit Daniel, it sure helped :D

I'm really glad you liked the short Sketchwork!
    I agree about the sound effects but the time was against us. you see, we had to make the short film from start to finish within two weeks and lots of things went crazy on location. therefore we didn't have a lot of time for post-production and the sound was mixed in the last hours before deadline, litterally! :)
    again thank you for watching!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Excellent! Inventive throughout and highly enjoyable. You establish a tone right from the start and stick with it throughout. Great use of VFX in aid of the story (would love to see what you could do with HitFilm) and your two actors did a very good job.
    A few shots seemed to have some odd frame blending which made them look a little blurry, which would be my only major criticism really. Very cool. Be nice to see this on the Movie Wall.
    Thanks a lot Simon!
    Actually I wanted to establish the world as fast as possible so the viewer would concentrate on the story and maybe sense som of the detajls and symbols - so i'm glad you tone worked for you!
    I don't really have any experience with hitfilm yet, but i'm sure it offers almost the same features as after effects - i'll buy it and practice, then maybe I can use hitfilm in future productions :)
    Yeah, the frameblending is very very annoying but I think something went wrong on those specific shots in sony vegas, when I had to render them out for VFX work in after effects.
    due to the tight deadline I didn't have time to re-render the clips, even though I had a very long discussion with myself about it :dry:
    I just added the film to the moviewall, so hopefully I will get a little more views now 8-|
    Jonathan
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Frame blending is something that a lot of software seems to stealthily apply without telling you, which can be very annoying when you only notice it when it's too late!
    I hope more people do see this, it's a really nice bit of work.
  • ghootghoot Website User Posts: 50
    WOW! Very nice all around, and very entertaining.
  • CranialFansCranialFans Website User Posts: 92
    That was great, really loved it. Well done!
  • RossTrowbridgeRossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    Until I read your description, I was expecting Hobbits. But this was very well done. I really enjoyed watching it.
    haha, I guess it's my own fault when picking that title but I think it fits the film perfectly :) and thank you for checking it out even though the great Peter Jackson isn't involved in this' :D
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Loved the whole short film. Wasn't sure if I should take the time to have a look, but I'm so glad I did! Great concept and acting, and the few minor downsides have already been mentioned, so overall... Nicely done, keep up the good work! :)
    Thank you!
    I'm glad you took the time to check it out :)