Character development

FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
Hey all, I am trying to create a new suoer hero character, that is as original as can be, (this has nothing to do with the competition by the way).
So in order to generate ideas for the character, I have two questions for you all.
If you had a super power what would that power be (try to be original)?
And
Who would your enemy be (without need of lots of complex VFX, like having to make 3D computer characters), and why?

Thanks, this will help a lot, this is for a new film I am aiming to film near 2013, I like to plan ahead! Haha

Comments

• KahvehRobinettKahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    A superpower that allowed you to turn into little particles and float through the air, and then reconstruct yourself any were(and in any shape) you wanted to. I think that's a pretty cool idea. But if I could have any super power of my choice it would be invincibility.
    And for the villain you should make him able to be completely invincible, only at night. The rest of the day he would be just as strong as a normal person.
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
    Yeah that is a good one!
    Also the invincible me seems to be rather popular,
    And I like the idea of invincibility only at night for the bad guy, thanks mate
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Invincibility would of course be a great power to have, but it's a terrible power from a storytelling point of view. If your hero is invincible, it removes any sense of threat or challenge, and forces you to have annoying gimmicks like weak friends (Lois Lane) or Achilles' heels (kryptonite).
    Given that pretty much every superpower has been done, I'd say the trick to a successful and original superhero story is in how the world reacts to the superhero. Maybe take an established superpower but then give it a story treatment that is completely different to anything done before - take a look at comics like Rising Stars, Supreme Power, Superior, Kick Ass, Ex Machina, Watchmen and Red Son to see some interesting takes on familiar themes.
  • MasterWolfMasterWolf Website User Posts: 369
    The trouble with super heroes is that just about everything that can been done, has been done. And in a sense that was true before there was even such a thing as comic books. Hercules had super strength and endurance, Mercury had super speed. Instead of stories of great Olympian Gods, modern man has comic book super heroes.
    That said, I like powers that seem plausible. The closer something is to scientifically feasible the more believable it is to me. If you have a character that can control the weather... how? Do they telekinetically create areas of low or high pressure to cause wind forces? Can they generate fields of heat or cold? Those are the sort of things I tend to think about.
    Then you have the neo-super power... being stinking rich. Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne have no real "powers" other than to be stupidy rich enough to buy the koolest toys.
    I think if I could have a super power, keeping it with in the plausibility realm, I would say, Influence. I would like to have an influence on others, like a power of suggestion raised to an nearly uncanny level. Someone pulls a gun, I just say "you don't really want to shoot me" and they put the gun down. I think that would be the ultimate power, making people want to do what i want them to do just by the power of suggestion. "you really want to give me this promotion." "you really want to approve my loan." "Hello, Gulf Stream? Yeah, how would you guys like to give me a brand new jet?"
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    That's an interesting power. It would also be a terrifying one for the wrong person to have.
  • guitar74guitar74 Website User Posts: 506
    teleporting super hero power

That's an interesting power. It would also be a terrifying one for the wrong person to have.
    I never said I wanted to be the hero
    I do like that Jedi mind trick kind of suoer power, very cool, it will be good for a serious super hero film.
    Teleporting is an awesome one and it isn't used too much so it will seem more original, especially because you can make the teleportation effect different, giving the film a specific approach.
    And I do agree Simon, that power in the wrong hands would be terrifying! Haha.
    (one of my favourite suoer heros would be Karl Pilkingtons one, off the Ricky gervais show... Bullsh*t man... Funny because it's true, he really would be bullsh*t man. Anybody seen that episode of Ricky gervais show?
    yeah i always liked that in Star Wars A New Hope, The Troops stop our heroes in the street, Obi Wan waves his hand, "you don't need to see his identification, these aren't the droids you're looking for" then later Luke is like "I don't know how we got those troops" and Obi Wan says "The force can have a powerful influence on the weak minded" and then waves hand "You'll have to sell your speeder"
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    Flexhi i saw that episode too and thought it would be cool!
    A power i've always been interested in isn't really a superhero thing- i think it was a tv show called bernards watch or something! I used to watch it when i was a kid. The premise of the show was that aboy found a stopwatch that allowed him to pause time, it affected everything else but him-people would be froze in the last movement they did, and yet he remained in full control of himself- basically allowing him to do whatever he wanted.When he was done he'd simply click the stop wtach and everything would return to normal-albeit the things he'd change. Because it was a kids show it generally never got as bad as giving someone a wedgie and then unfreezing them- stuff like that. But with a superhero you could really take this idea further- perhaps he becomes a bit corrupt and robs banks? Or maybe he pauses time forever? the possibilities are endless, but it also allows you to think a bit about the scientific effects of something like this- the stopwatch pauses time and movement- does it affect other forces- gravity, wind or oxygen? It would definatley give your superhero some element of danger if he could only use his power for a certain amount of time.
    It's something that's always fascinated me!
    Sam

Flexhi i saw that episode too and thought it would be cool!
    A power i've always been interested in isn't really a superhero thing- i think it was a tv show called bernards watch or something! I used to watch it when i was a kid. The premise of the show was that aboy found a stopwatch that allowed him to pause time, it affected everything else but him-people would be froze in the last movement they did, and yet he remained in full control of himself- basically allowing him to do whatever he wanted.When he was done he'd simply click the stop wtach and everything would return to normal-albeit the things he'd change. Because it was a kids show it generally never got as bad as giving someone a wedgie and then unfreezing them- stuff like that. But with a superhero you could really take this idea further- perhaps he becomes a bit corrupt and robs banks? Or maybe he pauses time forever? the possibilities are endless, but it also allows you to think a bit about the scientific effects of something like this- the stopwatch pauses time and movement- does it affect other forces- gravity, wind or oxygen? It would definatley give your superhero some element of danger if he could only use his power for a certain amount of time.
    It's something that's always fascinated me!
    Sam
    I think I saw the Simpsons version if that where Bart get s a stopwatch that stops time, then he breaks it and spends years fixing it.
    You gave me an awesome idea. A guy uses the stopwatch to get to places quickly (if he is late, he stops time then gets to where he needs to be and presses play) and it gives the illusion of teleportation, because he is I'm one place and vanishes and reapers in his destination. Now by adding a large flash or what ever when he presses the watch will make people think that he is using a power to teleport, but in the end he is just a regular guy with a magical time stopping watch... How's that sound for a combination of powers? (he also uses the skill to rob banks and become rich so he has the power of wealth too as was mentioned earlier in the topic :) )