Some questions about HitFilm Standard

MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
Hey everyone,
I've been seriously contemplating buying Hitfilm Standard lately. I'm not in a place financially right now to buy the Ultimate version, however I thought I could at least get started with Standard, but before I do, I have some questions.
First off, I plan on buying it primarily because I need a good compositor. I have Sony Vegas Platinum 9, which I have tried over and over again in the past to use as a compositor, but the chroma key capabilities on there are awful. I need something better and, I do have the demo of Hitfilm standard and in my experience with it, the keying is incredible.
Now, I've just started working on a video announcements project at my church. I wanted to create a nifty intro for it, however I don't know the first place to start. I want to create something similar, but shorter, than the FilmRiot intro. Could I use multiple 2d layers created in photoshop/gimp to achieve the same type thing in Hitfilm?
Thanks guys.

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    You mean the FilmRiot stuff where it has 'DIY FILMMAKING', 'SPECIAL FX', 'HOLLYWOOD TECHNIQUES'?
    You could definitely produce something along those lines, although there's also a bit of 3D stuff in there (mainly the extruded text, but also some of the backgrounds).
    If I were you, I'd storyboard on paper what you want the intro sequence to do. Then break the shots apart to see how best to create them. You can always scan and upload them for us to take a look at, as well. It's difficult to provide specific advice without a firmer idea of what you're aiming for.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    Thanks Simon.
    To be honest, I need to brainstorm with some of the other members of the crew I'm working with before I go too far with this, but something along those lines yes. A storyboard is an excellent idea that I hadn't thought of. I don't want to over-complicate things too much either. Something about 10-15 seconds is all I really need anyway.
  • DanielMorganDanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    For that kinda stuff Matthias, I'd go with ultimate. To create sequences like the film riot one,you need total control. The ultimate version gives you pretty much total control over the particles, flares and 3D features. You don't wanna find your self limited with this kinda stuff.