Error 1005 (RESOLVED)

My Hitfilm Ultimate will not open all of a sudden it displays (Error 1005 Could not start guard process) How can I fix this??

Comments

• AdyAdy Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,425 Staff

My Hitfilm Ultimate will not open all of a sudden it displays (Error 1005 Could not start guard process) How can I fix this??
    Hi,
    Sorry you've been experiencing problems.
    This error can usually be resolved by rebooting your machine.
    Please let me know if the problem persists by raising a Support Ticket then I can deal with your case on a one to one basis more efficiently.
    Thanks
    Ady
  • HellbentFilmsHellbentFilms Website User Posts: 17
    will do..thanks
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I just got this too. I tried to start it again, and it worked, with no reboot. If it happens again, I'll open a ticket.
    Richard.

I just got this too. I tried to start it again, and it worked, with no reboot. If it happens again, I'll open a ticket.
    Richard.
    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for updating us. Glad the problem is solved for yourself, we are looking into why this might be happening. I will update this thread with any new information if & when received.
    Thank you
    Ady
  • LynchensteinLynchenstein Website User Posts: 3
    Any news on this?

Any news on this?
    Hi,
    Sorry, we are not able to reproduce this within our testing environment unfortunately. When we can we will look into fixing this issue permanently.
    Are you still receiving the Error?
    Thanks
    Ady
  • TBGHazeTBGHaze Website User Posts: 4
    I have this, and rebooted over and over again but it still wouldn't open. Ay ideas?
    I'm still getting this. Probably about 10% of the time I start HitFilm. I just try it again, and it works. If there's anything I can do to help with this, just let me know.
    Richard.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,232 Staff
    Ansu - what are the specs on your system, please?
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    I've been experiencing the "error 1005 - Could not Start Guard Process" a lot recently as well. Rebooting the machine doesn't seem to make a difference. It took about 6-7 attempts to load HitFilm before I could get into the software. I've also noticed the software freezing up and not responding much more often than normal when I'm in the editor (only use .mov files at the moment).
    I haven't changed any of my system components or done any major software updates recently.
    In case they are needed:
    1055T X6 CPU
    12GB RAM
    GTX 670
    Win 7
  • pscammpscamm Website User Posts: 136
    <---- Experienced this too last week, only the once though
  • EthamEtham Website User Posts: 6
    I also started getting this error some days ago and could never get it to start. After a couple of days trying, it started today.
    My machine has been turned off each night between tries.
    Win 7 Swe 64 Pro SP1
    Intel i7-2600K 3.4 GHz
    8GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Hi Guys,
    Thank you all for continuing to post here with your experiences.
    Could I ask for just a little bit more information from all of you that have been affected. Below I have asked some questions, if you could input your replies into this thread that would be great.
    A) What anti-virus are you running?
    B) How often do you use HitFilm?
    I think I may know the cause of the problem but I just need to know that I'm on the right track. Your data from these questions will certainly help.
    I apologise for the inconveniences you have all had.
    Thanks
    Ady
    The only AV I have running is windows defender.
    I use HF now and then, probably once a week or so, though the days I do use it, I use it a number of times. My situation seems different from others. Every time I get this error, I try starting HF again, and it always runs fine, with no reboot, or anything else, in between.
    Richard.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    edited September 2012

Hi Guys,
    Thank you all for continuing to post here with your experiences.
    Could I ask for just a little bit more information from all of you that have been affected. Below I have asked some questions, if you could input your replies into this thread that would be great.
    A) What anti-virus are you running?
    B) How often do you use HitFilm?
    I think I may know the cause of the problem but I just need to know that I'm on the right track. Your data from these questions will certainly help.
    I apologise for the inconveniences you have all had.
    Thanks
    Ady
    Hey Ady,
    A) I'm using AVG Antivirus
    B) Use of HitFilm varies, but usually 2-4 days in the week
    Thanks!
    edited September 2012

A ) What anti-virus are you running?
    B ) How often do you use HitFilm?
    A ) Microsoft Security Essentials
    B ) Right now about every weekend
    Thanks for trying to fix this!
    I could not get hitfilm to start at all this weekend.
    Please, is there any workaround I can try?
    (Restart and reboot did not help.)

I could not get hitfilm to start at all this weekend.
    Please, is there any workaround I can try?
    (Restart and reboot did not help.)
    Hi Etham,
    Sorry you are having trouble with the error still.
    Can you try disabling the Microsoft Security Essentials on your system when you receive the error. You may need to 'kill' the Process via the Task Manager, the Process is 'msseces.exe' in the Task Manager.
    Then try starting the software again, once it starts reactivate MSE.
    Please note this is by no means a guaranteed fix, this is just something I noticed when running some tests here in the Office.
    Thanks
    Ady
    edited October 2012
    Ok, it does not seem to help to just turn off MSE, kill the msseces.exe and try to start Hitfilm. I noted that Skyway_Guard.exe spawn, actually two of them, I guess that is the guard process that Hitfilm can't communicate with, right?
    I now started killing off a lot of services and once in a while checked if Hitfilm started - no luck at first, but then suddenly Hitfilm did start. It could be that I killed off some process that in the description was called "antimalware" (or something like that, I can't seem to find the process again).
    Now I rebooted and could start Hitfilm once again (the MSE was still off after reboot) and have now enabled MSE again. At least I can now do some Hitfilming again :-)
    I guess you are on the right track with the MSE because I don't think I have installed anything special except MSE updates when Hitfilm started complaining.

Ok, it does not seem to help to just turn off MSE, kill the msseces.exe and try to start Hitfilm. I noted that Skyway_Guard.exe spawn, actually two of them, I guess that is the guard process that Hitfilm can't communicate with, right?
    I now started killing off a lot of services and once in a while checked if Hitfilm started - no luck at first, but then suddenly Hitfilm did start. It could be that I killed off some process that in the description was called "antimalware" (or something like that, I can't seem to find the process again).
    Now I rebooted and could start Hitfilm once again (the MSE was still off after reboot) and have now enabled MSE again. At least I can now do some Hitfilming again :-)
    I guess you are on the right track with the MSE because I don't think I have installed anything special except MSE updates when Hitfilm started complaining.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the updated information. I'm still looking into this, but I cannot reproduce it 100% of the time which is why it's proving to be a problem with applying a fix for it.
    There is definitely something going on & I think again you are right with your suggestion to look at the Process Tree when the software doesn't start.
    I'll keep trying & will aim to keep you all posted.
    Sorry again for the inconvenience caused
    Thanks
    Ady
    Hi,
    An update here.
    I still can't open hitfilm, it still gives me the 1005 error all the time. However, I have found a workaround that seems to be biting. When starting hitfilm I can see a spike in network-traffic that seems unnecessarily high. What is hitfilm doing with all that traffic, or is it some other program that I have that triggers the data flow when hitfilm starts?
    Anyway, the workaround is simply to disable my network connection before starting hitfilm. So far this have worked very well.
    Can you reproduce this data-flow-matter at start up? Is it hitfilm or is it another program?
    At least I can now work with hitfilm ;-)
    Interesting. You might download something like wireshark (it's free), and capture your network traffic for them to look at.
    Richard.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Hey guys, sorry to hear this is still affecting you. We are still actively investigating this and hope to resolve it soon.
  • blitterblitter Website User Posts: 1
    Hi , I can confirm that the problem is the network connection.
    I disabled the wired lan interface and finally hitfilm boot.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    We're currently in final testing on a fix for this issue, so hopefully we can get that out to you all next week.
    Yep, I can confirm that the fix is working :D
    Thanks for the fix and a great piece of software!!
  • LavollLavoll Website User Posts: 1
    where can I get a fix? i havent been able to start hitfilm all day, even with reboots and/or killing microsoft security essentials.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,232 Staff
    The fix is currently in beta, so you should see it soon as a free update.
  • B T ArmstrongB T Armstrong Website User Posts: 2
    Any update on the fix for this issue? I dont see it posted anywhere.
    Thanks
    Recently when I started HF2, it mentioned an upgrade was available, and the notes for it did mention a fix for this. Even though I did have this problem, it was seldom, so I can't confirm yet, but I haven't seen this error since the upgrade (I only saw it once or twice after upgrading from HF1->HF2).
    Richard.
This discussion has been closed.