Energy Aura

Hello, I was wondering how I would go about creating an energy aura or flickering ray of light that I can lay on top of my actor. Kinda like "The Glow" from The Last Dragon

Is it possible to do this in hitfilm, and can I replicate this effect to be used on the actor's hands as well?
Very new to hitfilm but the support of the community has been great, just need alittle nudge in the right direction ;)

-Ruby Tuesday

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    edited May 2012
    As it turns out, some time ago we had another user asking about the exact same effect. There should be some useful info in that thread, but let us knoww if you need any further explanations or have more questions.
    Incidentally, the effect where there are lots of copies of the dude's arms as he spins them about can also easily be done in HitFilm Ultimate, using the Motion Trails effect in the Temporal folder.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Very do-able within HitFilm. One way would be to mask out the person / arm you want to glow and then apply the neon glow effect to that layer. This should give you the aura look as seen in the above clip.
    Hope that helps!
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478

As it turns out, some time ago we had another user asking about the exact same effect. There should be some useful info in that thread, but let us knoww if you need any further explanations or have more questions.
    LOL, Axel you keep beating me to the punch! I'm literally in the middle of writing and you've already ninja'd a response!!!
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    KASTANG!!!!!
    I'm off to bed now though, so if you hang around, you can beat me to whoever posts next.
  • MendozaCorpsMendozaCorps Website User Posts: 15
    Thanks Guys! Ok, I've already filmed a version of this without a greenscreen, would it be for the best to go and reshoot with a greenscreen or can I lay and overlay without a greenscreen?
    Thanks Again, very supportive!!
    I just read through the whole other thread, probably should have did that first :-?
    I'll re-shoot with a greenscreen and get back to you guys :D
    Yeah, it is possible to do without the greenscreen, but using a greenscreen will make things much easier and quicker.
    Ok guys, so I shot my footage in front of a green screen but am having problems with the chroma key feature and masking. I'm very new to the software like this, so any tutorial would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking to create that glow effect around my character and then maybe having a energy orb in my hand. How would I go about doing that? I tried and tried for about six hours on end last night to no success. I was close to giving up, but I could really use the software, and I don't quit. ;) I just may need some help. :D
    Once you have keyed out the greenscreen, you can use the Neon Glow effect (in the Generate folder) to add a glow to the edges of the subject. We have a tutorial on greenscreening here:
    Thank You Axel!