Autodesk & hitfilm

Will 3ds max work with hitfilm?

Comments

• NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    You can compose models/animations within Hitfilm using images and movies you export from Max.
  • Blitz YeagerBlitz Yeager Website User Posts: 51
    So even with the trail version I could import objects from max into my videos?
  • NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    You can't import max files or 3d models no, you'll have to create your animation, export it as a video and then composit it onto the footage, as you would with green screen footage. Hope that makes sense!
  • Blitz YeagerBlitz Yeager Website User Posts: 51
    Okay, thank you.
  • ToonmanToonman Website User Posts: 81
    If you want the actual max objects inside HitFilm, export the geometry into formats supported by HitFilm. I'd suggest OBJ (based on the formats supported by HitFilm 2).
  • JediMaster33JediMaster33 Website User Posts: 62
    Blitz Yeager,
    I use 3D Studio Max 2013 and it is great. As Toonman said you can use Obj files exported from max, but hopefully they will support .max files in the future. OBJ files are good, but one of the models I exported doesn't look as good as the MAX scene file I have, not even close. To the FXHome Staff, please think about supporting MAX format in the future.
    Thanks,
    John
  • InTheFleshInTheFlesh Website User Posts: 143
    edited November 2012

To the FXHome Staff, please think about supporting MAX format in the future.
    Thanks,
    John
    The .MAX format is proprietary, meaning nobody but Autodesk can fully enable saving to or loading from a .max file as only they know the full structure and usage of the format.
    This means the FxHome team more than likely will not be able to add .max support unless they were to team up with Autodesk (and I don't see that happening, nor do I hope for that to happen).
    A better format for the team to look at supporting is Alembic. I've mentioned in other threads why it would be of great benefit, but basically it has less issues than .obj, supports cameras materials and lights, supports animated objects and is a very fast format to read data from and write data to. Plus, most recent 3d application releases have Alembic support built in (and there is a free plugin available for 3ds Max)
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    Native support of .max files will not happen. A max file is nothing but a description of plugins used in a scene, and their parameters (plus a bunch of other stuff). If in yous max scene you had a box with a twist and a bend modifier applied, Hitfilm would need to have exactly he same plugins installed to be able to re-create the object. That's why compositing programs that support 3d object import rely on baked formats. From all the existing ones today, Alembic is the best option.
  • JediMaster33JediMaster33 Website User Posts: 62
    Thanks for the info, OBJ files work OK, but the quality on my output seemed poor.
    Which output are you referring to?