Does Hitfilm work with Video Essentials by sony?

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
So I only was exposed to hitfilm when I bought a sony vegas bundle. From then on it was all hitfilm all the time. I checked my email and I saw a deal for $100 for their newbluefx Video Essentials I,II,III, IV, V and Light blend plug ins. Do these work with Hitfilm? If not would these be a good to supplement to use in addition with hitfilm. I do know hitfilm is very powerful and can do most of the stuff but I guess what caught my eye was color replacement. I know hitfilm I can alter the colors but if I just want to change the color of the sky? I saw the tutorial where they used a color gradient to get that effect, and also have used the the sky replacement to change a cloudy day at the beach into a beautiful day. What I would like to do is film a short where during the day the sky is red but I do not want everything being completely red.
http://newbluefx.com/so/sony-video-essentials-gpu/?tracking_id=05_2012_SONYVEGPU_MAIN

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited May 2012
    No, NewBlue's plugins aren't designed for HitFilm. However, taking a look at what they offer it seems that the vast majority of it is already in HitFilm in one form or another. The sky colour replacement you talk about can be done relatively easily already, for example.
    There are various ways of doing it, but here's one option.....
    Here's the original with nice green grass:
    [img]http://media.hitfilm.com/blog-images/2012/May/grassOriginal.jpg[/img]
    And here's a version with the grass adjusted:
    [img]http://media.hitfilm.com/blog-images/2012/May/grassBrown.jpg[/img]
    That was done by duplicating the layer, then using a hue & RGB key to isolate the grass and a hue shift to change the colours. The same technique could be used to change the colour of the sky, or anything else.
    The main thing is to isolate the sky. After that you can do whatever you want with it.
    It's interesting that the list price for all their plugin packs is $449 - more than the cost of the entirety of HitFilm Ultimate, which of course includes full 3D compositing, particle simulation AND a load of effects plugins...
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Well Sony has always been known for pricier everything. I just wanted to make sure I could get everything I need taken care of.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure NewBlue isn't directly connected to Sony - NewBlue set their own pricing. I've always thought that Sony have excellent pricing for their Vegas products, which is why I use it at home despite historically always being a Premiere guy.
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I bought into the vegas line through additional discounts thanks to retailers price matching amazon. I guess expensive is relative. When I got vegas for half the cost of the normal price.