Running The Great North Run

PhilPhil Website User Posts: 40
Hey guys,
I'm running the Great North Run (13.1 miles) this year on behalf of Brain Tumour UK, If you could please take 2 minutes to just have a read of my story and kindly donate what you can I'd be very grateful. If you could also share my page on Facebook & Twitter I'd really appreciate it.
David Colley was quite possibly the kindest man, He'd do anything for anyone and wouldn't hold any resentment. My mum, Gillian, first met him in 2005. Both working on the same farm, they spent all day everyday together. They shared, what I felt was a bizzare interest in cows, so much so that as an engagment present David bought my mum 2 highland cows. Their wedding in late 2008 was fresian cow themed (See photos!) and they couldn't have been more proud about it.
In 2010 David was diagnosed with a brain tumour, he went downhill very quickly and it was only a few months later when he sadly passed at the age of 47. Those few months were probably the hardest for both myself and my mum.
David was an amazing father figure to me and I greatly miss him. My mum was truley happy when they were together and life hasn't quite been the same without him.
http://www.justgiving.com/PhileepJ
Thank you

Comments

• PhilPhil Website User Posts: 40
    Just going to bump this. I've been doing some training, not as much I'd like but with little over a month to go I'm gonna be pushing myself hard. I've had a few 6am gym sessions, the hardest part of that was actually getting out of bed!
    Nearly raised £500 which is awesome! but my target is £1,000. I've already spammed all my friends and family to the max and now I'm relying on online support.
    Please only donate what you can, and if you can please spread the word as I need all the support I can get. Thank you
    http://www.justgiving.com/phileepJ
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    I'd just like to wish you the best of luck Phil with your run- it sounds absolutely grueling- whilst you haven't reached your target- yet- £500 is still an impressive amount of money for any charity and you should be very proud of your efforts so far! Good luck and keep up with your training :D All the best,
    Sam
    Thank you, I'm only managing around 3-5 miles in my training, averaging around 13 minutes a mile. I'm just lacking the stamina - The downside to being a lazy student!!
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I'd like to wish you the best of luck as well. Keep us posted on how the run goes and how much money for charity you make!
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Hey Phil! Not quite sure how I missed this when you first posted it.
    Best of luck with this, it's a great cause and I'm sure your mum is super proud of you for doing this. As Matthias says, definitely keep us posted on how it goes.
  • IamJoshuaDaviesIamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 357 Staff
    I can't imagine being able to walk that far let alone run it!
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on. :)
    Thanks for all the support guys. Unfortunately the gym near my mum's is way over priced, and we've had loads of rain so I've not been able to do a great deal of training recently. But I'm moving back down to uni soon where the gym is dirt cheap, so I'll squeeze in 2 weeks of solid training and spamming my new neighbours with sponsorship forms. The day after the run is the start of freshers week so I can go from excessive exercise to excessive drinking.
  • DanielGWoodDanielGWood Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    Good luck Phil, that's a tough distance.
    If you can stand the repetition, running up and down a steep hill is a quick way to build stamina (though obviously not great if it's still raining a lot!).
    Well with less than a week to go, I'm back in Sheffield and instead of excessive rain we now have excessive heat, But I'm managing to get some training in in the evenings. Found a staircase that seems to be never ending so been running up that in true 'Rocky' style.
    Raised £556 so far, and that's just from online donations!
    Massive thank you to everyone who's donated, but if you could help give me one last push and pass the link to any friends or family, I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • mercianfilmmercianfilm Website User Posts: 161
    Good luck today Phil! Good weather for it so far- not too hot or raining- let us know how you got on- once you've had a well deserved rest obviously. :D
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Hope it went well Phil!
    Huge thank you to everyone who donated and supported me, managed to do the 13.1 miles in 2 hours 47 minutes. Suffered a knee injury a few days earlier so I was in some pain most of the way round. I had both knees strapped and supported but I could still feel them clicking in and out which wasn't pleasant. I should point out that I actually have Hypermobility Syndrome, which makes me prone to dislocations so I made sure to try and take it easy. I don't feel I pushed myself too hard but certainly hard enough to complete the run faster than I had in training, which I'm very happy with.
    Weather was great, had a bit of rain at the very start but it soon stopped and it was just a nice overcast. Having thousands of spectators cheering you on really helped with motivation, and a lot of them were kind enough to hand out goodies. I got a few ice lollies and some jelly babies.
    The hardest part was crossing the half way line, knowing what I'd already done and having to do the same distance again was a little soul destroying, but I just kept going. I walked maybe 10-15% of the course and I made sure not to stop, I knew if I did I wouldn't want to go again. and before I knew it I was at the finish line, which I made sure to cross in true rocky style!
    Raised a little over £600, and I'm keeping the justgiving page open for an extra few days so if you haven't donated and want too, you can :-)
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/b4httj.jpg[/IMG]
    Fantastic! Thanks for the update and congratulations on the achievement. Hugely impressive stuff. I bet David would be pretty chuffed.
    Hats off.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Awesome! Glad to hear that you not only completed the run, but made impressive time. Well done sir!
    So just a quick update - I'm still resting, Really hurt my knees with the run and at the moment I can't do much walking without really feeling the pain. So now I've booked a place to climb mount Kilimanjaro.
    My university is working with Student Adventures and one of the trips is to climb kili, so I figured that I probably wont get this chance again and that I should just go for it. Raising money for Practical Action, who help to bring clean drinking water to people who don't have it. The trip isn't till July 2013, and I only signed up to this yesterday so I haven't got much more information. Just thought I'd let you all know about my next challenge. :-)