noob here

isoiso Website User Posts: 44
I signed up for this Hitfilm about a month ago and I AM A TOTAL NOOB!!! I have one question about what kind of camera I should get and use for filming. I am in highschool so I don't have a lot of money so if I can get some tips on a great camera I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966

I signed up for this Hitfilm about a month ago and I AM A TOTAL NOOB!!! I have one question about what kind of camera I should get and use for filming. I am in highschool so I don't have a lot of money so if I can get some tips on a great camera I would really appreciate it.
    Canon 600D all the way! It is amazing, and so many people have them in this site, and so many people i know in film say they are the best entry level cameras (it did win best entry level camera award, funnily enough)
    Is high school the UK version of years 7-13? Coz if I was American I think I may be in high school toooooo :D
  • KahvehRobinettKahvehRobinett Website User Posts: 443
    Usually in the USA highschool is about from 14-18 years old. And welcome to noob land, I cant help you with the questions your asking iso but there are many people on this website that I'm sure would love to help.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Which camera would be best does depend somewhat on what your goals are, and how you plan to use it.
    Are you hoping to create short narrative films? Film cool stuff you and your friends do?
    Are you wanting to really delve into how cameras work, and learn to be a good camera operator, or is your focus more on creating effects, and you just want a camera that can quickly and easily create footage that you can mess around with on the computer? Do you want to focus more on how to run camera, direct films, or do post-production work? Do you want a camera that works well for vacation videos or filming events, as well as creating films?
    Basically, there are two ways to go when selecting a camera. Something like the 600D is amazing, in terms of video quality, artistic control over the camere, and affordability, but its also a bit more difficult to learn, requires more accessories, isn't as convenient for shooting events or vacation video type stuff. It takes a little more skill to get really good footage to work with, but when used properly, the quality of the footage exceeds anything a camcorder can create.
    On the other hand, a Camcorder is much more convenient, has easier auto-settings, and can shoot for much longer periods of time, for filming events and so forth. They are easier to use and operate, generally, and you can start creating nice footage right out of the box, with minimal training. However, the footage will never be quite as nice as what you can create with a good DSLR, if you know how to use it, and depending on the model, you might not have as much manual control over the camera as you eventually want.
    So, if you can sort of explain what your goals are, and how much time you want to spend learning how to use the gear, realistically, then we can gear recommendations toward those criteria.
  • AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2012
    We should have a sticky thread called "What Camera Do I Buy?" so we don't have to have this same exact thread being posted all the time.
    Actually, that probably wouldn't help...

We should have a sticky thread called "What Camera Do I Buy?" so we don't have to have this same exact thread being posted all the time.
    Actually, that probably wouldn't help...
    It would be too overloaded with information and most people would not be bothered to read it all
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    On the topic of a sticky, the Ultimate Guitar forums have some stickies for similar things like, "What guitar do I buy?" In the sticky they tell people all the information they need, such as budget, experience level, any current equipment, and what style of music people want to play. I think that we would benefit from something similar, that way when something like this came up, they would have guidelines to follow, and they would know exactly what things we are looking for when they want camera recommendations.
    So, Iso, what is your budget? What do you plan on using your camera for? Is there any features it must have? Are there features you could live without?
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    At the very least, a sticky would give us something to link to, rather than having to regurgitate the exact same info. Anybody fancy putting one together? :)
    iso - as all these guys say, it depends entirely on a) what you want to do with it and B-) your budget.
  • isoiso Website User Posts: 44
    Thank you all for responding to this. You all were very helpful. some of you asked what kind of films i would be needing to use the camera for and I am planning on filming action films with me and some friends we will be needing a great camera for car scenes and fighting scenes in the woods. Once again thank you all for your help.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    One thing to bear in mind, then, is that the DSLRs, as great as they are, suffer from something called 'rolling shutter'. Depending on your filming style, this can be quite crippling as it makes frantic handheld camerawork difficult to pull off.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    If you're going to be behind the camera operating it most of the time and are willing to take the time to learn the techniques that make using a DSLR great, I would recommend going with that.
    I personally have the T3i/600D as well and I love it!
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    I think a total noob should maybe not got a dslr. I think something like a Canon FS400 would be good. You could get good images without having to know a lot about cameras. Also the camera isn't too expensive. The other reason I think a camera like that would be good is because you are learning and using HitFilm as well. Which means that your total focus is not on being a camera person.

At the very least, a sticky would give us something to link to, rather than having to regurgitate the exact same info. Anybody fancy putting one together? :)
    iso - as all these guys say, it depends entirely on a) what you want to do with it and B-) your budget.
    Or maybe just a camera page, where there are pics of cameras, or names, and you can tick a box for the camera you have, so then if someone goes into the page they can see what make of camera people mostly have, and then under each camera there is a mini thread where people can comment about the camera
    Thanks guys I will keep track and buy a camera. First of all no i am not operating the camera my friend is going to do that I am one of the actors in this movie I am going to make.
  • JediMaster33JediMaster33 Website User Posts: 62
    I use a Flip HD, if you can find them they are easy to use. The only thing is that there is no video light and the lens zoom is very limited, but it does great HD.
  • Angel KaurAngel Kaur Website User Posts: 1
    Hello friend
    My self Angel kaur
    I love to play games
    Thanks for welcoming me.

thanks everybody. No I am not working the camera. I'm one of the main characters of my movie. I'm still working on the script. The movie is kind of a romantic action movie.... mostly action. I hope you all like it because it will probably be up in like June or July of this year or when I graduate so it could be a while until this gets online on hitfilm and youtube. Sorry but I am a sophomore in highschool so only 2 years 2 wait! I am still wanting more ideas from everybody so keep posting on the forums. I also have a post on the filmmaking forum titled "my first film" if you haven't already posted on there. Thanks again everybody!

thanks everybody. No I am not working the camera. I'm one of the main characters of my movie. I'm still working on the script. The movie is kind of a romantic action movie.... mostly action. I hope you all like it because it will probably be up in like June or July of this year or when I graduate so it could be a while until this gets online on hitfilm and youtube. Sorry but I am a sophomore in highschool so only 2 years 2 wait! I am still wanting more ideas from everybody so keep posting on the forums. I also have a post on the filmmaking forum titled "my first film" if you haven't already posted on there. Thanks again everybody!
    When you go from 10th grade to 11th grade, do you carry on learning the same subjects You did in 10th grade and just carry on like that? Because in the UK we change all are subjects from 10-11 subjects we do at GCSE (years 10-11/ grades 9-10) to 4 subjects at As and a levels in yr 12/13 (grade 11/12) so after my exams I have about 12 weeks of freedom! :D so I only have a month to wait, but after summer I have another two years (for A level) lol.
    Is it roughly the same subjects/ schooling system you have over there?
    yea we have 10 grade subjects (sophmore year) then when we move to eleventh grade (junior year) we get a different set of subjects to learn for example. My classes this year coming up are Geometry and Chemistry and sophmore year I had Biology and Algebra B. But they are roughly the same. But yea we don't go until 13 grade thankfully.

yea we have 10 grade subjects (sophmore year) then when we move to eleventh grade (junior year) we get a different set of subjects to learn for example. My classes this year coming up are Geometry and Chemistry and sophmore year I had Biology and Algebra B. But they are roughly the same. But yea we don't go until 13 grade thankfully.
    Cool so the subjects are set for you guys in US, we can pick what we wanna do, which is a bad thing, but also a good thing, as some subjects are more valued over others, eg one would prefer you to get an a* in physics and not an a* in photography if you want to go to Oxford uni, or what ever. Lol. Yeah I gotta look up more about American schooling as it seems really different to schooling in the UK
    well we have classes we get to choose also. like shop, art, gym, weightlifting, and others
    but like prob the same with you we have some classes that we don't have a choice on and some that we have a choice to take. Is this kind of what you have to do?
    Well, before GCSE all classes are set, but when we get to GCSE, math, English chemistry biology and physics asre set, and we can 5 othe subjects to do, like a language, or philosophy, or business studies, or design technology, etc (lots of subjects)
    Then in a level we can pick what subjects we want to do as long as the school,provides them, eg, my school allows us to take photography but other schools like Magdelin do not.
    However we don't have subjects like weightlifting, weightlifting would just be thrown in to PE (physical education)
    Just wandering, what is shop?
  • PzuePzue Website User Posts: 40
    I think that buying a decent camera - especially if your in school like me and can't afford one - is a challenge. I have a JVC camcorder and it shoots in full hd but you have pretty much no control over it.
    Flexhi - magdalen school is in Oxford right? - Because I think I go to a school near there :D

I think that buying a decent camera - especially if your in school like me and can't afford one - is a challenge. I have a JVC camcorder and it shoots in full hd but you have pretty much no control over it.
    Flexhi - magdalen school is in Oxford right? - Because I think I go to a school near there :D
    Yeah I bought canon 600d but only body version as I couldn't afford the one with kit lens (luckily I had an old kit lens from an old camera :D )
    Yeah, magdalen is in Oxford, next to the magdalen bridge where they do all the may day stuff
    well Flehxi shop is like woodworking or auto stuff. And when i start my Junior Year (11th grade) I will be taking a photography filming class for the first semester. And yea getting a camera and being SO busy with the high school teenager life is very hard to come by.
    edited June 2012
    I was also wondering what shop was. I thought perhaps it was Consumer Training or some such, rather than craft-based stuff. :P
    So shop is like design technology?
    yea kinda of. Idk why we call it shop its just like some art classes that deal with wood that is also called woodworking class.