9 FLOORS (A Short Action Film)

TylerDardenTylerDarden Website User Posts: 74 Enthusiast
Just finished my first action project:

Comments

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Love it! This is entirely ridiculous but brilliantly stylish and entertaining, and nicely inventive in the number of different scenarios you squeeze into a single stairwell. Lots of unexpected moments and you keep it fresh throughout.
    So many short action films try to be cool, and fail miserably. Through your unusual combination of restrained acting and pacing, mixed with wild choreography, you've managed to create a very stylish video that doesn't feel like it's trying too hard.
    Did you use AE or HitFilm or something else for the compositing work? It's very nice indeed and it'd be great to see somebody using HitFilm Ultimate's features to create something like this.
    Did you have music specially composed for this, or did you edit around an existing track? Part of the effectiveness of the short is that the music is perfectly synced with the pace and action.
    Don't forget to submit it to the movie wall. ;)
  • SpectrOdrake Corp.SpectrOdrake Corp. Website User Posts: 135
    Just Amazing ! :)
    nice effects,good editing and gun fight, what ask more ? :D well done dude !
  • ChadzillaChadzilla Website User Posts: 14
    I like it... fun to watch and held my attention. Still... I wonder what was in the duffel bag. :)
  • FroiFroi Website User Posts: 966
    Hurray! Another shooty action film plot! How original,
    But to be honest, it wasn't that bad, i only watched a bit but I like those camera angles u're using there!:D
  • TylerDardenTylerDarden Website User Posts: 74 Enthusiast

Love it! This is entirely ridiculous but brilliantly stylish and entertaining, and nicely inventive in the number of different scenarios you squeeze into a single stairwell. Lots of unexpected moments and you keep it fresh throughout.
    So many short action films try to be cool, and fail miserably. Through your unusual combination of restrained acting and pacing, mixed with wild choreography, you've managed to create a very stylish video that doesn't feel like it's trying too hard.
    Did you use AE or HitFilm or something else for the compositing work? It's very nice indeed and it'd be great to see somebody using HitFilm Ultimate's features to create something like this.
    Did you have music specially composed for this, or did you edit around an existing track? Part of the effectiveness of the short is that the music is perfectly synced with the pace and action.
    Don't forget to submit it to the movie wall. ;)
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad that someone like my work so much.
    I used AE. Of course, I'd love to have tried to do something similar with Hitfilm, and I am confident that the result would not have been worse, but unfortunately I only have a demo version of Hitfilm.
    But I used Hitfilm's Christmas Video Gifts footages. And I used it a LOT!)) Smoke and partical assets just awesome. I used it for wall and body hits, barrel smoke, even for the window explosion at the finale. And I find this assets much better and easier to use than the similar from famous Video Copilot Action Essentials. Thank you very much for them. It would be nice if you made more of these things. I'll be waiting for them with hope and anticipation.
    All music used in this video, I wrote myself. As a professional trailermaker, I know how important synchronization of video and music for the most spectacular action. It is pleasant to think that here I got it.))
    Thank you again for your attention.
  • NuttyBananaNuttyBanana Website User Posts: 151
    Great little flick! You pulled it off very well and as Simon pointed out, these things tend to fall flat at some point but you definitely did something right. When I first saw the title I instantly thought of The Raid. Great action/shots/effects, good job!

Hurray! Another shooty action film plot! How original.
    Not quite sure that was necessary, and it could quite easily bite you in the rear with any films you release in the future.
  • TylerDardenTylerDarden Website User Posts: 74 Enthusiast
    edited May 2012

Great little flick! You pulled it off very well and as Simon pointed out, these things tend to fall flat at some point but you definitely did something right. When I first saw the title I instantly thought of The Raid. Great action/shots/effects, good job!
    Thank you. You're absolutely right - it is "The Raid" inspired me to this video.
  • KeeganKeegan Website User Posts: 294 Just Starting Out

All music used in this video, I wrote myself. As a professional trailermaker, I know how important synchronization of video and music for the most spectacular action. It is pleasant to think that here I got it.))
    Ah! I knew the score was original! I had the pleasure of taking classes with Kurt Biederwolf at Berklee College of Music. He always said the score should never be heard by the audience. It should be so in-tune with the rest of the experience that the audience should barely notice it. You succeeded 100% to this degree. I had no idea there was even music playing until Simon brought it up! I went back adn watched it again, paying attention to all the breaks and hits and, I have to say, you nailed it.
    I also score all my own stuff and it's a breath of fresh air seeing someone who has an all-original score and not stock music from some library somewhere. It really makes a difference!
    I subscribed to your Youtube channel. Can't wait to see what you do next! :D
  • SketchWorkSketchWork Website User Posts: 127
    Very nice and extremely entertaining!